Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Well, aren't you just a breath of fresh air.

You call mothers who breastfeed, "mafia", "zealots", "cows", "disgusting" and "barbaric". What do you call someone like yourself who comes down on mothers who choose to breastfeed?
Honest!

It's a disgusting practice and somebody needs to let all you breastfeeders know about it. And since nobody really wants to be politically incorrect, I'll take it upon myself to spread the word.

Oh...and...you're welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
Honest!

It's a disgusting practice and somebody needs to let all you breastfeeders know about it. And since nobody really wants to be politically incorrect, I'll take it upon myself to spread the word.

Oh...and...you're welcome!
"Honest" really??? Not exactly the word I was thinking of.

What exactly is so "disgusting" about breastfeeding? What do you think would happen if you got your wish and breastfeeding was banned worldwide? How is drinking milk from a different species better then drinking milk from one's own mother?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:03 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
The author of the article could have used a MUCH better choice of words.

I'm not a mom and have never breastfed, but to say that breastfeeding is creepy...that's a new one on me...

When a person says "creepy" it signifies to me a darker undertone, a dark ugly house, Frankenstein, bats, etc.

How does one get "creepy" with a baby and a breast?

I'm not against public breastfeeding. I've never personally seen any overt "flashing" of mother breasts.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 06-28-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 10:04 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
As someone who's never breastfed, MY breasts have always served only two functions: 1: to provide shade for my sternum on summer days and 2: to provide me with sexual pleasure.

When I see someone breastfeeding in public, those are the only two perspectives I am capable of having, in my observation. As a result, I find the act of a woman breastfeeding to be creepy. But rather than complain about it, I'll stare for a moment til my brain realizes that now *I* am being creepy, and then remove myself from view of that particular act.

I've never seen other animals use each others breasts for sexual pleasure, and as a result, I don't link the two together. However, I have seen humans use each others' breasts for sexual pleasure, and therefore I will link the two.

It may be a natural thing to do, breastfeeding. It might be lovely and beautiful and all of that. But if you are going to breastfeed in public, you really need to accept that there are people out there who consider sucking on a woman's nipple to be a sexual thing, and will perceive it that way, even though intellectually they know that isn't what is happening.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
The breast feeding mafia that tout the natural way are probably the same Mothers who will give their kid the processed snack cakes when the kid gets it's first tooth. The argument that breast feeding is "all natural" is a bogus one...the Mother eats processed foods I'm sure, and that is passed onto the baby as well...along with any medication the Mother is taking. Give me a break!

A Mother has a right to choose formula without the breast feeding Mafia coming down on her like a bunch of zealots.

For the record...I personally think breast feeding is a disgusting, barbaric act that should be banned worldwide! For God's sake...Mother's are NOT COWS! So...stop acting like it and stop breast feeding! Keep it in your shirt ladies cause nobody wants to see your junk.
You sound as bad as the breastfeeding mafia. You just happen to be on the opposing team.

Thankfully, many breastfeeding mothers and groups have learned to tone things down and accept the things they cannot change. I have been to breastfeeding meetings and many women from all walks of life come to get specific advice to make things work for them. Some breastfeed for three days, others 3 years, some eat twinkies, others organic grapes but thankfully they are not being judged.

If you don't like it, that is your choice. If you don't like it because the breastfeeding mafia tries to make you feel bad about not breastfeeding you have another issue. Ignore those people.

BTW-formula is a processed food. Before formula, babies who could not breastfeed drank cows milk or goats milk if they could not get a wet nurse. I am guessing it was fresh but it was certainly not a first choice for babies.

Last edited by crisan; 06-28-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 10:33 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As someone who's never breastfed, MY breasts have always served only two functions: 1: to provide shade for my sternum on summer days and 2: to provide me with sexual pleasure.

When I see someone breastfeeding in public, those are the only two perspectives I am capable of having, in my observation. As a result, I find the act of a woman breastfeeding to be creepy. But rather than complain about it, I'll stare for a moment til my brain realizes that now *I* am being creepy, and then remove myself from view of that particular act.

I've never seen other animals use each others breasts for sexual pleasure, and as a result, I don't link the two together. However, I have seen humans use each others' breasts for sexual pleasure, and therefore I will link the two.

It may be a natural thing to do, breastfeeding. It might be lovely and beautiful and all of that. But if you are going to breastfeed in public, you really need to accept that there are people out there who consider sucking on a woman's nipple to be a sexual thing, and will perceive it that way, even though intellectually they know that isn't what is happening.
I really like your response. I decided to breastfeed for two reasons: save money and, more importantly, I knew I was not responsible enough to handle bottles, formula, sterilizing, etc. At the beginning, I swore up and down I would never attempt it again. I didn't quit because it WAS an instant soother for my baby and nothing else worked. Now, it would be my first choice and I would do it as long as it worked for my family. My husband who wasn't sure about the whole breastfeeding thing, defends me from his mother and tells her it was the best choice we made for our daughter.

Last edited by crisan; 06-28-2010 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
This is cultural indoctrination. In Jamaica (and probably a lot of other countries) a mother with whip out a boobie in a heartbeat to feed her child. No one bats an eye. Oh, and it's not like up here either were women have nursing shirts and blankets. Just baby next to boobie.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Oh definitely, in other countries no one thinks anything of it. And in some more cloistered communities, there's nothing to it here either. But with all the advertisements we are brought up on, where a woman's breasts are -primarily- advertised as sexual features. We are inundated by the media, by the music industry, by commerce, and even when we are chlidren, we are taught that the breasts are a part of the body that we do not allow strangers to touch.

That is what we are TAUGHT. So when we are not used to seeing people breastfeeding in public, and suddenly we see it, the first thing that comes to mind is not a beautiful natural thing, or even a mundane unimportant thing. The first thing that comes to mind is sex.

If you want to change our perceptions and MAKE it something other than sex, you have to change the media, the music, the commerce, and you have to change how we teach our children to "don't let anyone touch you there." When the sex part of breasts becomes less sizzling, then the breastfeeding part of breasts will seem more mundane. Til then, you just have to accept that people will see the sizzle first, the feeding second.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:39 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
An article in Mother & Baby magazine that described breastfeeding as “creepy” has prompted a backlash among mothers and midwives on the internet.

Breastfeeding is 'creepy' says parenting magazine - Telegraph
If anyone bothered to actually read (and several posters, at least, did), it's one woman's essay about how she feels. She's being defensive and inflammatory-- which of course no one ever is in print or on the 'net-- because she perceives that she is being looked down on by some breastfeeding moms. Which, frankly, she probably is, by some.
The whole thing's a tempest in a teapot, and just another facet of a Mommy War manufactured by people who are trying to sell something.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Formula feeding mothers will receive criticism from others and breastfeeding mothers will receive criticism from others. No matter what we choose people will judge. Why does she feel the need to contribute to that judgement?
Because "well, SHE did it FIRST!" <hairflip>

It's the seventh-gradization of motherhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting