Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 08:57 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If the act of a lactating woman having her nipple sucked on in public is such a wonderful natural thing that no one should think twice about...

then why not invite dad to have a suck on the other nipple, while you're all out having Family Day at the mall?

There's plenty of milk to spare, afterall. How about offering some to the sales guy at the Verizon booth?

It's a natural thing afterall.

Or, does modesty prevent you from offering? Is that it? Is it that milking your child is a personal thing and you don't want to share it with anyone else? Then here's the answer: stop sharing it with everyone else. Because when you do it in public, that is exactly what you're doing. Except, no one else gets to benefit from the sharing. So you're being selfish. You're saying HEY I AM LACTATING AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY!

Isn't that loving and natural and caring of you? You get a gold star.

Also having your period is natural. Maybe we should throw out all tampons and have "natural" periods. Would that be ok in public. After all it is a "beautiful" thing as well.

Masturbation is also natural. While we are at it, so is sexual intercourse. Let's do that at the mall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times
Quote:
The general consensus among people who don't breastfeed in public (which is most people, since most people aren't breastfeeding at all, since most people aren't women who have children and breasts that are lactating), in the USA, is that the act of a woman's nipple being sucked on in public, by ANYONE, brings up sexual feelings, whether intended or not, by the person witnessing said suckage.

Because of this unpleasant sexual feeling that people get when they see a woman's nipple being sucked in public (whether or not said nipple is visible is neither here nor there, it has nothing to do with the issue because the issue is the sucking, not the exposed (or not) nipple)...because of this feeling, we, the uncomfortable, wish to state that it is uncomfortable. And that the sucking in public is creepy.
This is one of the creepiest posts on cd I have read.

Who says seeing a baby feeding brings up sexual feelings?

Maybe for a man...with a creepy, perverted mind.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:03 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
An article in Mother & Baby magazine that described breastfeeding as “creepy” has prompted a backlash among mothers and midwives on the internet.

Breastfeeding is 'creepy' says parenting magazine - Telegraph
Sure, she can decide to do whatever she wants with her breasts. But I think that it's a shame that she based her decision on what seems to be mostly misinformation. And then she's passing that along as though it were true so now other moms will have those same misconceptions. I wish that when people were making that decision, they could at least do so with accurate information. I don't blame her for talking/ writing about her personal experience or feelings, but I do blame her for perpetuating misinformation. I think that as an editor of a baby magazine, she has some responsibility to check her facts on a story like this, even if it is an opinion piece.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,509 times
Quote:
If the act of a lactating woman having her nipple sucked on in public is such a wonderful natural thing that no one should think twice about...

then why not invite dad to have a suck on the other nipple, while you're all out having Family Day at the mall?

There's plenty of milk to spare, afterall. How about offering some to the sales guy at the Verizon booth?

Or, does modesty prevent you from offering? Is that it? Is it that milking your child is a personal thing and you don't want to share it with anyone else? Then here's the answer: stop sharing it with everyone else. Because when you do it in public, that is exactly what you're doing. Except, no one else gets to benefit from the sharing. So you're being selfish. You're saying HEY I AM LACTATING AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY!

I hope you're aware of how immature this post comes across.

What kills me is really - how often do people witness this "nipple sucking" where one could even equate it to something sexual? I've only been breastfeeding for a bit over three months (meaning that I, too, considered breasts to be sexual objects prior to this), but in all my years I have never seen an act of public breastfeeding as anything even remotely sexual. Even if in the moment I glanced at the mother I happened to see nipple (once at Disney World). It's a mother, feeding her kid - that's all. I've never given it a second thought, if I even noticed, which was never often since the vast majority of breastfeeding women who breastfeed in public manage it discreetly. I've seen more scandalous sights watching women (and pre-teens!) walk by in barely-there clothing in public.

With regards to this post and the prior post - don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to say that bared breasts are not sexual and are therefore "okay" in public, but a kid breastfeeding (and again, I assert that you do not actually witness anything beyond maybe an inch of skin, no nipple, and a baby head cradled against his mom, which is a typical position for many non-breastfeeding infants to lie in) makes YOU (and according to you, every non lactating person) uncomfortable. I fail to see what sucking you are seeing - if you are referring to a women who is whipping out a bare breast, keeping it out, and staring you down before latching on her baby, I would be astonished if you feel this type of person is representative of mothers in general. However, it IS very selfish to assume that your standards of sexual cues are indicative of, as you put it, the majority of people out there. And quite short-sighted.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:

So, am I to assume that when you feed your baby a bottle at the mall, that you are offering some to the Verizon guy? What? This makes no sense. It is feeding a BABY. That is how BABIES eat! A breastfeeding mother should be able to comfortably feed her baby in any location where a bottle feeding mother can feed her baby.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
So, am I to assume that when you feed your baby a bottle at the mall, that you are offering some to the Verizon guy? What? This makes no sense. It is feeding a BABY. That is how BABIES eat! A breastfeeding mother should be able to comfortably feed her baby in any location where a bottle feeding mother can feed her baby.
When I was at the mall they had a "nursing room". Big signs everywhere "Nursing Room ---->" YET I saw someone feeding in the mall. People probably complained and now they have this yet I am still forced to see it.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
When I was at the mall they had a "nursing room". Big signs everywhere "Nursing Room ---->" YET I saw someone feeding in the mall. People probably complained and now they have this yet I am still forced to see it.
Are you unable to turn your head? I'm pretty sure that no one "forced" you to watch a mother breastfeed her baby.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Yes, some places have a nursing room, and that is wonderful for those who wish to use them. When my first was new and I was out alone with her, I was very happy to use them. But if I am out with others, or now if I am out with my older child too, I don't want to be isolated in the nursing room for 30 minutes while my companions have to sit and wait for me outside. A nursing room is a lovely option for those who want it, but nobody should be forced to use it if they are just as comfortable nursing elsewhere.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Yes, some places have a nursing room, and that is wonderful for those who wish to use them. When my first was new and I was out alone with her, I was very happy to use them. But if I am out with others, or now if I am out with my older child too, I don't want to be isolated in the nursing room for 30 minutes while my companions have to sit and wait for me outside. A nursing room is a lovely option for those who want it, but nobody should be forced to use it if they are just as comfortable nursing elsewhere.
Our mall has a "nursing room" as well. If you sit in the ONE chair that is in it, you will have a changing table to your left, and have a toilet stall directly ahead of you.

Sorry, but if I would refuse to eat in a bathroom, why should I subject my son to do so?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Maybe some people should realize that when they CHOOSE to have a baby and CHOOSE to nurse it, they could also CHOOSE not to go out to public places when baby needs to eat.

My sister breast fed her children. Never once did it in a public place. She stayed home for several months with her kids until they were on a more regular schedule, and if she knew she'd be out for a long time, she'd pump and bring a bottle or baby would stay home with daddy. More than once, we'd be out at the mall, baby would get fussy, and we'd leave (either so she could feed in the car in the corner where no one would see, or so we could go home). The other patrons in the store did not decide to have a baby, and should not be subjected to the consequences of my sister's CHOICE.

I am all for breastfeeding if that's what you want to do--but not in public places. It's not fair to everyone else to have to see that. (The "turn your head" argument is weak at best--why should the masses have to adapt for your personal choice? If that was valid, people should be able to walk around naked--don't like it, don't look).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting