Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 AM

110 posts, read 777,390 times

Advertisements

Headline news story from Newsday, the major newspaper here on Long Island.

"A Bayville couple could face jail time because angry neighbors claim their daughters play too loudly in their backyard.

William and Rachel Poczatek must enter a plea in village court today after their neighbors complained to the village that the Poczateks' two daughters, aged 5 and 11, were making too much noise around the family's pool."

Full story is here.

Bayville couple in hot water over pool noise - Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lipool0620,0,5937.story?coll=ny-main-bigpix - broken link)

I thought this was interesting after reading the thread about kids being noisy in public places!

Having had my share of noisy neighbors, and personally having zero tolerance of kids running amok, I can sympathize with the complainers. But I also seriously object to homeowners being told what they can and can't do within the confines of their own property.

What do others think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:30 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
I am amused at the lengths people will go to for 15 minutes of fame.

Again...is the answer "Children should be seen and not heard". Sorry my backyard, my kids, my laughs and giggles..take it or leave it.

This is in long island, where you only get a summer 3 months out of the year anyway. Didnt the neighbors look at the house before they bought it..did they realize that that they were moving into a home that is child neighborhood friendly..or did they think that a leash and muzzle would do the trick?

And to the parents...let your kids play in the yards and have fun..too many of us parents think that ipods, computer games and xboxes contribute to too much TV and childhood obesity. We complain that kids dont play anymore or get some fresh air.

So now what..damned if you do, damned if you dont? This is a pathetic waste of time for people who have TOO much of it on their hands.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:34 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Absolute BS. Things like this infuriate me. There is a big difference with kids playing and being annoying at the local supermarket or restaurant and being noisey in the back yard. Where to people get off complaining about this. Are people really getting this ignorant that they forgot that they used to be really loud when they were young playing ?

Id probably be doing 18 to life if these were my neighbors when I was playing in my younger days. Im the opposite to these people, i find it strange when kids arent making noise and playing in my neighborhood. Some people just need to get a life.

Quote:
The couple is charged with violating a noise code aimed at "the shouting and crying of peddlers, hawkers and vendors which disturbs the peace and quiet of the neighborhood."
That sums up how sad this is to me.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:46 AM

Agreed and to the PARENTS who claim to have no tollerance for noise and brats and kids....uhhh.... one comment and question

Birth Control and Why did you have kids to begin with. Give us parents who are trying to raise educated, productive, functioning members of society a break and quit your whining, go to an isolated island sip your pina colada's.. (and have one for me too!)

Old 06-20-2007, 12:08 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
This world is getting riduculous. Where are kids supposed to play? Yes I would have a problem with children screaming at the top of their lungs all day long but come on. They are in their own yard. I am so tired of people blaming the kids....look at the parents.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:46 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I live on Long Island and think this suit is ridiculous. My kids play outside a lot, they scream, run, and have fun like children are supposed to.

Why didnt these neighbours move to a adult community??

I hope that the neighbours will be charged with a fine for wasting everyones time
dorothy

Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
My yard and house is a romper room, kids, basketballs, toys everywhere, and its gr8, if the neighbours dont like it they should move, as I would tell my neighbors is they didnt like the noise.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:56 PM

How about telling them to pay for the mortgage and taxes..that would shut them up...the nerve right?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:08 PM

311 posts, read 1,376,461 times
There are laws against filing a frivilous lawsuit. This would be a good example of one.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:30 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Hmmmn, a case of someone not liking kids or perhaps late-night antics?

Note that the complainant mentions "working 12 hours...to come home to this" - when is this happening? Middle of the day or 10 pm?

I'm wondering just how loud the kids are...there is a difference between playing loudly and brats screaming bloody murder. Would like to hear that audio.

And I am a parent, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting