Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:24 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,172,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's like anything done in public. Some people want to put on a show. Not everyone wants to see the show.
Right. And these anti-breastfeeding posters, the consistent ones, think that all breastfeeding mothers want their 15 minutes of fame. We don't and we don't get it because you don't even realize we are publicly breastfeeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:38 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,824,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
So let's all get this straight... it's perfectly fine for the anti-breastfeeding people to offend a large group of people (not just breastfeeders, but people who would rather not read/hear crude language). We're told to grow up - apparently mature grown ups use this type of language, so it should be acceptable (though I am fairly certain it's against the forum's ToS). We're told we're the ones who have no class... by the person who condones vulgar language. And for the record, just because something is said in a church (which is geared towards some people) doesn't mean it is acceptable for everyone.

So, the only people allowed to be offended is YOU, and everyone else had to deal with your offensive remarks and attitude. Sorry dude, seems like you put your foot in your mouth - hope you enjoy it.
Ya know...if someone can't even deal with the word "tit", I find it hard to believe they are even breastfeeding to begin with. I mean...how ridiculous is that? And what's more, those that can't deal with the word "tit" probably shouldn't be posting on a message board if they are that sensitive and thinned skin.

Frankly, I think we are dealing with someones feigned outrage over the word "tit" rather than real outrage. I think the poster wanted to make some sort of point...albeit weak and rather petty. Oh the drama of it all!

PS. Yes...adults do use this type of language. But, if the word "tit" is against the TOS, perhaps you should report the post to the admins if you're that offended and can't deal with it on your own?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,628,186 times
I never thought of it as an offensive word at all. My grandmother would wash my mouth out with soap if I uttered certain words in her presence, but tit was not one of them. The only vulgarity that comes with the word, is whatever vulgarity someone assigns it. If you're a pervert, I guess you could consider it a vulgar word. So I guess..that would be my point. There ARE people who consider it vulgar. There ARE people who consider an exposed breast, in public, is vulgar. And there ARE people, who consider a child who is old enough to talk about it, sucking on their mama's breast, in public, to be vulgar.

If you're one of the people who feel this is vulgar, then it definitely, and most assuredly, applies to you.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:02 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,194,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I never thought of it as an offensive word at all. My grandmother would wash my mouth out with soap if I uttered certain words in her presence, but tit was not one of them. The only vulgarity that comes with the word, is whatever vulgarity someone assigns it. If you're a pervert, I guess you could consider it a vulgar word. So I guess..that would be my point. There ARE people who consider it vulgar. There ARE people who consider an exposed breast, in public, is vulgar. And there ARE people, who consider a child who is old enough to talk about it, sucking on their mama's breast, in public, to be vulgar.

If you're one of the people who feel this is vulgar, then it definitely, and most assuredly, applies to you.
And I guess if you're a pervert, you might consider a baby feeding at his/her mother's breast to be vulgar. I love logic, really.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:08 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,010,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
Troll bait? I suppose the news piece on 20/20 was troll bait as well?
Of course the story on 20/20 was the mass media form of troll bait! Inflammatory topic = more viewers = more advertising revenue.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Of course the story on 20/20 was the mass media form of troll bait! Inflammatory topic = more viewers = more advertising revenue.
Here's the thing...I don't think any topic exists where everyone in the entire world agrees. So is every topic "troll bait" since everyone can't agree?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,010,494 times
Quote:
Oh for God's sake...grow up! You hear much worse at Church on Sunday's when the preacher discusses hell fire and damnation!
Asking a poster to refrain from using crude language isn't a sign of being immature, and I don't subject myself or my family to religious rants. Regardless, that argument is irrelevant.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Asking a poster to refrain from using crude language isn't a sign of being immature, and I don't subject myself or my family to religious rants. Regardless, that argument is irrelevant.
Well...we'll just have to agree to disagree. The word that was used is hardly breaking any FCC codes. However, I will agree that apparently there are those who are extremely sensitive to such words and have a problem dealing with them.

Anywhooooooooooooo!!!!! Where were we?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:45 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,158,189 times
Quote:
Well...we'll just have to agree to disagree. The word that was used is hardly breaking any FCC codes. However, I will agree that apparently there are those who are extremely sensitive to such words and have a problem dealing with them.

Anywhooooooooooooo!!!!! Where were we?
Women who breastfeed in public are hardly breaking any laws. Apparently there are those who are extremely sensitive to the mere idea of breastfeeding and/or the possibility of seeing a nipple that they have a problem dealing with it.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Women who breastfeed in public are hardly breaking any laws. Apparently there are those who are extremely sensitive to the mere idea of breastfeeding and/or the possibility of seeing a nipple that they have a problem dealing with it.
Feel better now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting