Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
But with an older child, breastfeeding really isn't providing the substance for life either. The child is eating a lot of other foods by then and they really don't need the breast at all at that point.
Technically, I don't NEED m&m candies, but I like and eat them. Honestly, this discussion has gotten ridiculous. When is that last time any of you saw a child older than three breastfeeding? It's extremely uncommon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Food has always provided comfort. M&m candies are the only reason that my children continue to survive. You can take away my coffee and my wine, but if you touch my chocolate, somebody is going to get hurt!
LOL - agreed - but if that was the ONLY way you could be comforted, I'd still say there was a problem. If, while at the office you stubbed your toe on a file cabinet and were inconsolable because there WERE NO M&M'S!! and that was the ONLY way you could deal with it.....

Old 06-30-2010, 02:02 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
LOLOL, you ARE joking, right? You try not to be judgy, but you are "disgusted over pre-teens wearing shorts that show thongs, exposed buttcheeds... that sort of thing"???
What? You didn't know that sort of thing is horribly unacceptable. The 5 year old suckling on his mother's breast at the bench in front of Macy's may see.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
LOL - agreed - but if that was the ONLY way you could be comforted, I'd still say there was a problem. If, while at the office you stubbed your toe on a file cabinet and were inconsolable because there WERE NO M&M'S!! and that was the ONLY way you could deal with it.....
Frighteningly, I've run into more adults who behave that way than children!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Technically, I don't NEED m&m candies, but I like and eat them. Honestly, this discussion has gotten ridiculous. When is that last time any of you saw a child older than three breastfeeding? It's extremely uncommon.
I'm staying out of the BFing discussion here - my main point was the use of food as a primary way of comforting an older child. I wouldn't advocate pulling a cookie (or apple pieces) out either....

Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I personally think any child older than 12 months breastfeeding is crossing the line. 3 would be delving closer to that perversion thing we were talking about. For what it's worth I can go along with feeding an infant in public, but I would expect security to boot a woman if she was breastfeeding a 3 year old in the mall.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I'm staying out of the BFing discussion here - my main point was the use of food as a primary way of comforting an older child. I wouldn't advocate pulling a cookie (or apple pieces) out either....
Taken to extremes, I definitely see your point; however, my kids would be very disappointed if a visit to the doctor for vaccinations wasn't followed by a trip to Chik-fil-A for a shake.

Back to the original subject...I don't know how I would react to a five-year-old being breastfed in public, because I've never seen it, even during the many years I lived in the "anything goes" Bay Area. And, that was my point. I think everybody's feathers are ruffled about something they'll likely never actually see unless they travel outside the U.S.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:09 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
This is a good point. Kids who are taught that food is their comfort end up being obese because they continue to turn to food as comfort as they grow, and grow, and grow, and grow... .

Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Taken to extremes, I definitely see your point; however, my kids would be very disappointed if a visit to the doctor for vaccinations wasn't followed by a trip to Chik-fil-A for a shake.

Back to the original subject...I don't know how I would react to a five-year-old being breastfed on a park bench, because I've never seen it, and I used to live in the "anything goes" Bay Area. That was my point. I think everybody's feathers are ruffled about something they'll likely never actually see.
Most likely not, but I have seen several people breastfeeding older children in public and it just isn't right. I can't explain it, it just isn't. So, we now protect a woman's right to breastfeed in public, does that mean she can breastfeed a child of any age and the rest of us have to deal with it?

Old 06-30-2010, 02:13 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think that in the US, we have a weird view of nudity and breasts. I see no particular reason why a toddler cannot be breastfed in public, but it would probably get a lot of rude people staring.

In Europe, women go topless on beaches.

The need for discreet nursing stems from the idea that seeing exposed breast supposedly arouses sexual feelings. Indeed it does so in some men, but only because of the way they have been raised and influenced to think in this society that is so obsessed by woman's breasts. In many other cultures, no one thinks twice about a nursing mother and there is no need for covering up while nursing.

In Australia, in 2010, a mother's right to breastfeed in public is protected under national anti-discrimination legislation

The Scots say that the only people who stare rudely when they are breastfeeding in public are English tourists. The Scottish parliament passed a law in 2005 making it illegal to request that a woman should not breast feed in a public place (restaurant, shop, municipal office, etc).

Breastfeeding is uncommon in Ireland (probably the Church has some of the blame for that)

By law, you are allowed to breastfeed your baby in any public place in the Netherlands.

In Germany, breastfeeding in public is also not perceived in a negative way. People are encouraged to nurse children until at least 12 months old. People think it is weird to cover up with a blanket.

I think that Americans need to get over this fixation on the breast as a sexual thing and remember that its purpose is twofold and that feeding infants and toddlers is actually the primary purpose of breasts with sexuality being a secondary purpose.

Dorothy
If you haven't noticed, we live here, not in Europe, and A LOT of people don't like seeing womens' breasts in public. PERIOD.

Perhaps you'd be more comfortable or happy somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting