Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 09:32 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I could eat whatever I wanted at that age and not gain an ounce.
And I could look at nachos and gain 10 lbs.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,529 times
This happened to my sister. She all of a sudden gained a lot of weight for no good reason. Unfortunately it seems to have been a weird puberty thing and although she lost some of it she has never gone back even close to her "before" state.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
More presumptive posts void of real insight or advice.

A. She eats very healthy and is indeed highly educated regarding nutrition. She never goes wild around junk food or is famished. She has travelled without me many many times, dozens, and this situation does not usually occur, because she has healthier options as well as not such extreme inactivity.

B. The family would have dinner nights of ordering into the hotel room room service while on vacation. They would order fried, fatty appetizers and sweets. My daughter would ask for a salad, but obviously a garden salad will not cut it for dinner and so therefore yes, she was forced to eat this type of food.

Also, she is accustomed to having a healthy breakfast as soon as she wakes up. The family would not go for breakfast until 11am or later, my daughter was famished in the mornings and end up eating some junk food since the mother stocked the girls hotel room with junk and that was the only thing around.

So before your rude and ignorant posts are made I would first ask, before you assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It sounds like the girl isn't as smart about eating as her mom thinks, sure she eats right when there are only celery sticks around but get her around good junk food and she goes wild.

I'm pretty sure the fat family didn't hold her down and stuff the food down her throat but she's probably half famished all the time and so overate and gained a couple pounds once she got near food.

Last edited by Davachka; 07-07-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 AM

I realize that my daughter will have friends who are different from her, and I applaud you and your daughter from living a healthy lifestyle.

The fact of the matter is, I have never stopped my daughter from spending time with this girl or her family.

However 10 days with people who are EXTREMELY inactive is too much. They get in the car for everything. In fact, even when not on vacation, when my daughter is at this girls house, instead of walking around the subdivision, the girl has a golf cart and they drive Literally, no activity. The girl does not want to play in the pool, beach, amusement parks. Literally sit.

And though there were times when they went to restaurants, there were also several times where they ate by the mom ordering room service and just ordered sweets and fried foods for the girls, as well as stocking the room full of that crap.

Yes, my daughter had choices sometimes but othertimes those choices were made for her. Sometimes they ate breakfast at the hotel, which only offered pastries.

I had a talk with the mom, and explained to her that my daughter, a. needs to be more active as she is on varsity sports as well as other highly active activities and b. needs healthy alternatives. The mothers answer was that the girls could take the golf cart to the neighborhood gym (of course they couldnt walk or run) but at least its a positive start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I know this post wasn't directed to me, but aren't you being judgmental to assume Americans sit in front of the TV eating junk food and getting obese? My teenage daughter rides horses several times a week, plays basketball, bike rides, does horse rescue (which is very strenuous) and works our dogs in agility. She hardly ever watches TV and will see a movie w/ us maybe once a month. I care very much for my daughter's health and she has been taught good nutrition, like yours. There's some great health bars on the market that my daughter will snack on in between meals. Maybe your daughter could pack some with her for her next trip to keep from eating so much junk food. Cheese fries definitely isn't a dinner to me, but your daughter was able to order her own meal. You said this mom stocked the room w/ junk food. Have your daughter stock her bag w/ some heathy foods she likes.

As far as spending time w/ unhealthy people, you can't avoid it totally. Just like my daughter has learned to say no to smoking or drugs, she has learned to eat in moderation. I would never point out to her that she needs to lose weight. I wasn't trying to be rude to you, just pointing out that teens have alot of peer pressure as it is and weight issues can and do lead to disorders. Parental pressure can be devastating, if not more so, then peer and social pressure.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:22 AM

The only person I am appalled at is you, and your need to post your weight and height as if that has anything to do with it as well as your insults and attacks. I never said 'all' Americans, stop putting words in my mouth.

The thread you refer to was regarding fitness and that was what it was pertaining to. Pathetic that you are in attack mode and need to bring it up, and trying to make points regarding my body as well as one post that I made 4 months ago? The pic was from a progress pic on bodybuilding.com. Women on that website encouraged me that I was able to put muscle on my legs, which can be hard to do, and had nothing but positive words regarding that, strange that you twist it and make it about my breasts, didnt know I had to black out the conservative swimsuit I was wearing. I was proud that I finally put some muscle on my legs, which is MY ideal for ME and you mention my breast size, that you know nothing about, I could have had medical issues with them. Classless for another woman to act like that.

Any child that needs to work out and watch what they eat? She is in sports and needs to work out for varsity first of all. Second of all, all children should work out and watch what they eat. CHildhood and adult obesity in the US would not be nearly as large of a problem if that were so.

Again, since you have nothing but empty insults, attacks, and void of any true help, I would appreciate if you go elsewhere. You probably dont even have a teen and if you do....never mind I am not going as low as you are insulting my parenting and my child. As if the health of my child is not my priority, why would I have to explain that to a stranger? Obviously, teen's dramatic weight gain affects their looks and their health.

Again, the only person that appalls me here is you and your posts. Very low class to bring up my body. You have been reported and are on ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
As other people have said, it's pretty ironic that you call me judgmental then turn around and say all Americans sit in front of the TV and eat junk food and get obese. I'm 5'10 130 lbs and work out 5 times a week.

My post wasn't "ignorant" either. Basically all you talked about in your OP was your daughters LOOKS not her health, so you can switch it up now, but that's not what you were saying earlier.

And I might know nothing about you in real life, but I've read plenty of your posts on the Exercise and Fitness forum and seen you post your picture there showing off your breast implants in a bathing suit. So I'd say you are a little "body conscious" since most people don't get implants for their health

And I agree it is unfortunate that one of you is an MD.

ETA: Any child that has to work out and watch what she eats at 16 is not naturally thin. I could eat whatever I wanted at that age and not gain an ounce. So prepare yourself, once she gets older and moves out of the house she'll probably gain weight and you can be appalled all over again.

Last edited by Davachka; 07-07-2010 at 09:29 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
And I could look at nachos and gain 10 lbs.
Some people do not realize that this is reality for many

Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I realize that my daughter will have friends who are different from her, and I applaud you and your daughter from living a healthy lifestyle.

The fact of the matter is, I have never stopped my daughter from spending time with this girl or her family.

However 10 days with people who are EXTREMELY inactive is too much. They get in the car for everything. In fact, even when not on vacation, when my daughter is at this girls house, instead of walking around the subdivision, the girl has a golf cart and they drive Literally, no activity. The girl does not want to play in the pool, beach, amusement parks. Literally sit.

And though there were times when they went to restaurants, there were also several times where they ate by the mom ordering room service and just ordered sweets and fried foods for the girls, as well as stocking the room full of that crap.

Yes, my daughter had choices sometimes but othertimes those choices were made for her. Sometimes they ate breakfast at the hotel, which only offered pastries.

I had a talk with the mom, and explained to her that my daughter, a. needs to be more active as she is on varsity sports as well as other highly active activities and b. needs healthy alternatives. The mothers answer was that the girls could take the golf cart to the neighborhood gym (of course they couldnt walk or run) but at least its a positive start.
Quote:
Some people do not realize that this is reality for many
I'm glad you were able to talk to the mom. Hopefully the gym will be a fun experience for your daughter's friend. Maybe you can also have your daughter take along some of those healthy breakfast bars if breakfast isn't until late morning.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 AM

Yes, I will be packing her some "just in case" healthy food for this next trip. SHe travels ALOT and this situation is not the norm, it basically had a lot to do with the family and their practices. She went on a cruise with them last year and was fine, because there were buffets and she could pick what she wanted, and also because she could wake up and get some food when she wanted, as well as running around the ship all the time. Its hard on a kid (and it would be hard on me) if one is used to eating breakfast at 6am-8am and all of a sudden its not til 11! I agree I hope her friend gets some healthy habits and has fun together at the gym, and packing some food will def help as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I'm glad you were able to talk to the mom. Hopefully the gym will be a fun experience for your daughter's friend. Maybe you can also have your daughter take along some of those healthy breakfast bars if breakfast isn't until late morning.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
So, let her go with her friends and have her get up early and run a few miles, big deal. She doesn't need her friend to do that. You are WAY too focused on your daughter's weight-which I am going to guess is a more healthy weight for her from the tone of your posts.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
The only person I am appalled at is you, and your need to post your weight and height as if that has anything to do with it as well as your insults and attacks. I never said 'all' Americans, stop putting words in my mouth.

The thread you refer to was regarding fitness and that was what it was pertaining to. Pathetic that you are in attack mode and need to bring it up, and trying to make points regarding my body as well as one post that I made 4 months ago? The pic was from a progress pic on bodybuilding.com. Women on that website encouraged me that I was able to put muscle on my legs, which can be hard to do, and had nothing but positive words regarding that, strange that you twist it and make it about my breasts, didnt know I had to black out the conservative swimsuit I was wearing. I was proud that I finally put some muscle on my legs, which is MY ideal for ME and you mention my breast size, that you know nothing about, I could have had medical issues with them. Classless for another woman to act like that.

Any child that needs to work out and watch what they eat? She is in sports and needs to work out for varsity first of all. Second of all, all children should work out and watch what they eat. CHildhood and adult obesity in the US would not be nearly as large of a problem if that were so.

Again, since you have nothing but empty insults, attacks, and void of any true help, I would appreciate if you go elsewhere. You probably dont even have a teen and if you do....never mind I am not going as low as you are insulting my parenting and my child. As if the health of my child is not my priority, why would I have to explain that to a stranger? Obviously, teen's dramatic weight gain affects their looks and their health.

Again, the only person that appalls me here is you and your posts. Very low class to bring up my body. You have been reported and are on ignore.

Watch it when you mention the ignore list. Certain posters will start talking about making strawberry shortcake and having a strawberry shortcake party. Inside joke LOL
Anyways, I agree that your picture and breasts have nothing to do with the discussion and it was in poor taste that it was brought up. I just think that you need to be careful about what you say around your daughter about her weight. It will ruin her self-esteem,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting