Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:03 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Might I just add that when I was social chair for my sorority I thought it would be fun if we had a formal queen and I suggested we nominate and vote. However everyone got SO mad that we ended up having to basically pick names out of a hat. I thought it would be fun and in good spirits since we where just a small chapter of 30 girls (as apposed to bigger chapters that had close to 80) and we where all friends.

I guess no one likes to lose not even when you are 22!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 916 times
Default When winners don’t get recognition

I have a different dilemma; my kids, one girl and one boy are the best athletes in their school by far. And they have both been passed over for awards that they clearly deserved. Example: My daughter in her first year as a cross-country skier not only beat all the girls in her school, she came in the top ten in all 4 races this year, the normal is between 45-58 girls racing. Her time from the top 5 was within 20 seconds. She competed against girls that have been cross-country skiing for many years. Because of the lack of snow we sometimes had to travel 2 hours to get to races. The girl that received the award went to one race nearby her home and finished 7 places behind my daughter. This has happened several times to both my kids in (Soccer, lacrosse and XCS) and I am finding it harder not to mention anything to the coaches…but what is the message here exactly? I would also like to mention that she spent 2 months running, rollerblading and doing specific exercises to get ready for the season.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fustrated01238 View Post
I have a different dilemma; my kids, one girl and one boy are the best athletes in their school by far. And they have both been passed over for awards that they clearly deserved. Example: My daughter in her first year as a cross-country skier not only beat all the girls in her school, she came in the top ten in all 4 races this year, the normal is between 45-58 girls racing. Her time from the top 5 was within 20 seconds. She competed against girls that have been cross-country skiing for many years. Because of the lack of snow we sometimes had to travel 2 hours to get to races. The girl that received the award went to one race nearby her home and finished 7 places behind my daughter. This has happened several times to both my kids in (Soccer, lacrosse and XCS) and I am finding it harder not to mention anything to the coaches…but what is the message here exactly? I would also like to mention that she spent 2 months running, rollerblading and doing specific exercises to get ready for the season.
If you or your daughter aren't sure why a particular trophy is given or how to earn one, I think it's perfectly appropriate to ask the coaches. Why wouldn't you?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Who cares if everyone gets a trophy? Is youth sports really about winning?? Its not the NFL, NBA, or major league baseball....youth sports are for fun and exercise....nothing more, nothing less. Its the looney tune parents who get too serious about it and have to live vicariously through their kids to make up for their own shortcomings that only care about winning. Winning is nice, but its not the reason that 7 year olds play sports. I know my 8 year old is more concerned with having fun with his friends at a game than he is with who won or lost.
Why give trophies at all, if they have no meaning? Just save the league the money and skip them alltogether. Why does everyone need one? It's not going to make you feel like a winner when you didn't do anything to deserve it.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:27 PM

75 posts, read 55,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Why give trophies at all, if they have no meaning? Just save the league the money and skip them alltogether. Why does everyone need one? It's not going to make you feel like a winner when you didn't do anything to deserve it.
I wholeheartedly agree. Giving kids trophies even if they're losers sends the wrong message. It teaches them that mediocrity is acceptable. Kids would be better prepared for the real world if they were given a dose of reality from the time they're old enough to talk. Pampering should only be reserved for babies. That way, we won't raise another generation of grown-up babies.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya Business View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. Giving kids trophies even if they're losers sends the wrong message. It teaches them that mediocrity is acceptable. Kids would be better prepared for the real world if they were given a dose of reality from the time they're old enough to talk. Pampering should only be reserved for babies. That way, we won't raise another generation of grown-up babies.
Oh no, it gets MUCH worse than just sports and trophies.

A local church in my area does a HUGE Easter egg hunt every year, and instead of being how it used to be (prizes for most eggs, least, golden egg, etc..) the kids are only allowed to "find" 12 eggs then they are told to stop, and if they don't the extra eggs are removed from their baskets. What is the point of that?! (I mean I never got the point of egg hunting during a religious holiday anyway, but I digress...)

Their reply? They don't want any of "G-d's precious angels" to feel left out, or that they are lesser or weaker than anyone else. BAH!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
I was thinking about the late George Carlin's monologue about this: "You're not a loser, you're the last WINNER!" Then little Johnny grows up and expects his boss to treat him the same...

Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Wait... "everybody gets a trophy" isn't just a figure of speech (I had thought it was just a saying that refers to how puffed up/fragile kids' self-esteems are treated "these days") but really about everybody getting a real trophy... in the literal sense (as in they really hand them out to say anyone who competed in a contest)?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Wait... "everybody gets a trophy" isn't just a figure of speech (I had thought it was just a saying that refers to how puffed up/fragile kids' self-esteems are treated "these days") but really about everybody getting a real trophy... in the literal sense (as in they really hand them out to say anyone who competed in a contest)?
Sadly, it's not just a saying. Many times, they hand them out for showing up. You don't actually have to do anything.

My dd's used to attend a school that gave every student some kind of award. They would make up reasons to give an award so that no one felt bad. Unfortunately, these kids will grow up and enter a world that only rewards those who deserve it.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Oh no, it gets MUCH worse than just sports and trophies.

A local church in my area does a HUGE Easter egg hunt every year, and instead of being how it used to be (prizes for most eggs, least, golden egg, etc..) the kids are only allowed to "find" 12 eggs then they are told to stop, and if they don't the extra eggs are removed from their baskets. What is the point of that?! (I mean I never got the point of egg hunting during a religious holiday anyway, but I digress...)

Their reply? They don't want any of "G-d's precious angels" to feel left out, or that they are lesser or weaker than anyone else. BAH!!!
They probably got tired of a few bigger kids snatching them away from little kids and taking all the eggs. The opposite of "everyone's a winner" is "take all you can grab," which seems to be another unfortunate lesson being taught to kids today. Sharing is for suckers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting