Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
They probably got tired of a few bigger kids snatching them away from little kids and taking all the eggs. The opposite of "everyone's a winner" is "take all you can grab," which seems to be another unfortunate lesson being taught to kids today. Sharing is for suckers!
Yes, this. I used to organize a large egg hunt, and we had to give the older kids instructions to not mow down the smaller kids, and give them an opportunity to collect eggs too. They didn't listen, and the parents didn't instill any consideration, so we eventually had to split a large field into sections in order to give the little kids a fair shot. Pretty sad that people can't encourage their kids to be considerate IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,329 times
I dont see much problem with participation incentive, the prospect of a trophy potentially can reinforce the idea of not quitting something. I understand that everyone getting trophies for just being there can water down the trophy idea but no every child is a star but may also need some encouragement. But, judging by most of the comments you guys would be just as upset if the team came up with a reason to give every child a trophy. Johnny gets a trophy for best sportsmanship. Mindy gets one for most improved running. Brad gets one for most improved batting. Everyone on the team gets a trophy, but they got it for some actual reason. It seems some of you would still be complaining because everyone cant be a winner. Yes but sometimes being acknowledged for what you are good at is better than being told you arent the winner. Being the winner isnt the most important lesson in life. It just isnt. Why does everything have to be competitive? A rec league is just for fun. And I dont think a holiday related activity like easter egg hunting should be competitive anyway. The kids should just be having fun hunting for eggs.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, this. I used to organize a large egg hunt, and we had to give the older kids instructions to not mow down the smaller kids, and give them an opportunity to collect eggs too. They didn't listen, and the parents didn't instill any consideration, so we eventually had to split a large field into sections in order to give the little kids a fair shot. Pretty sad that people can't encourage their kids to be considerate IMO.
That is solved by having different age groups in different marked off areas or at different times of day, not by making everyone get the same number of eggs though. Our Park district has a huge egg hunt. Special needs and toddlers can have parent help. Then they have ages 3 to 5, 6 to 9, 10 to 12, I think. Each group is in a different area of the park and each has a certain amount of time.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That is solved by having different age groups in different marked off areas or at different times of day, not by making everyone get the same number of eggs though. Our Park district has a huge egg hunt. Special needs and toddlers can have parent help. Then they have ages 3 to 5, 6 to 9, 10 to 12, I think. Each group is in a different area of the park and each has a certain amount of time.

Yes I will say that having an alloted time worked better in our experience over amount of eggs. At the big hunt we go to they seperate by age and all the kids get 2 minutes to get as many as they can. Then they give them back in exchange for a bag of candy. But does then the candy become the trophy? Should every child not get a bag of candy since they didnt all collect the most?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Yes I will say that having an alloted time worked better in our experience over amount of eggs. At the big hunt we go to they seperate by age and all the kids get 2 minutes to get as many as they can. Then they give them back in exchange for a bag of candy. But does then the candy become the trophy? Should every child not get a bag of candy since they didnt all collect the most?
The candy is in the plastic eggs they collect in our egg hunts, so no exchange needed. Some eggs have candy and some have small toys.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
I'm so sick of the idea that kids need to have their self esteem reinforced to death. All we've done is ruin any chance of having a sense of accomplishment when they do well.

Case in point. My daughter plays in a recreational soccer league. At the end of the season, every kid gets a great big trophy, and all exactly the same. When her team sucked, she still got a big trophy. This year, when her team won every match by a margin (admittedly not because of my daughter because she isn't really that good), same trophy. No feeling that they really "won", nothing to work for.
Well I guess it depends on what the goal of the sport is. In the elementary soccer league I coached in, winning was not the goal. Sportsmanship, team work, learning the game, love of the game were all the goal. Winning was gravy.

Each and every child on my team excelled at the goals of the team. The better players supported the weaker with encouragement and help. The players were respectful and courteous to the referees, even when the referees themselves were not. They were sportsmanlike to the other teams, even when the other teams were DEFINITELY not.

Each and every player brought energy and drive to every practice and a solid will to learn, take direction and constructive criticism with grace, etc..

Yah I think they all deserved their pizza party and trophy.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You can do that with a large group, but when it's a small group, such as a church Easter egg hunt, that doesn't work. My DD used to complain that a daughter of a "pillar of the church" always got the eggs with the prizes in them. The older kids running the hunt would "help" her find them.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You can do that with a large group, but when it's a small group, such as a church Easter egg hunt, that doesn't work. My DD used to complain that a daughter of a "pillar of the church" always got the eggs with the prizes in them. The older kids running the hunt would "help" her find them.
Oh a conspiracy theory...at church! Goodness

Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Oh a conspiracy theory...at church! Goodness
Yep! They're everywhere!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:12 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
I'm torn on this.
I think if they are going to have trophies maybe it should just be for the top two or three really outstanding players.
I have been to many events where there are so many made up categories that dozens of trophies are given out, best girl player, best boy player, best new player, best player in this age category and that category, etc...
I suppose it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but it seems like inevitably everyone goes home with something, except for a small handful of kids that don't fit into any of the categories. I think if you are going to go so far as to award almost everyone one a trophy why not just go ahead and at least make sure each and every kid gets something, even if it's just a participation ribbon.
I always felt so sorry for those little kids going home empty handed and in tears because everybody else got something and they wondered why they didn't.
Not everybody can be a winner, but when everybody but you goes home a winner that sends a message too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting