Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:06 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times

Advertisements

$0. Got better ways to lose a couple of fingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:28 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Zero.

They are illegal here.

same here.

Our whole entire family, I mean everybody, has no interest in fireworks.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:12 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,028 times
wow, what an overwhelming difference from what i expected,

i spent about 150 bucks, it was me, 2 friends my age (around 22) and my friend ethans little brother was doing all the lighting (hes 14) we watched out for his safety, and enjoyed the show.

we hit the stand again and dropped 100 bucks on mortars came back and set up a volley. we set off all the mortars in a row and it was an awesome display!

liam (the 14 year old) is very safe and knowledgable about fireworks, i highly suggest making your children familiar with fireworks so they know how to protect themselves around explosions and fire, when you know how to control a situation such as fireworks, then house fires, and other fire related incidents become more manageable!

that guy who blew his arm off was a professional pyrotechnic, and accidents happen. who knows, that incident may have been preventable with more awareness.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
wow, what an overwhelming difference from what i expected,

i spent about 150 bucks, it was me, 2 friends my age (around 22) and my friend ethans little brother was doing all the lighting (hes 14) we watched out for his safety, and enjoyed the show.

we hit the stand again and dropped 100 bucks on mortars came back and set up a volley. we set off all the mortars in a row and it was an awesome display!

liam (the 14 year old) is very safe and knowledgable about fireworks, i highly suggest making your children familiar with fireworks so they know how to protect themselves around explosions and fire, when you know how to control a situation such as fireworks, then house fires, and other fire related incidents become more manageable!

that guy who blew his arm off was a professional pyrotechnic, and accidents happen. who knows, that incident may have been preventable with more awareness.
As you grow older, you might find yourself averse to what essentially amounts to lighting your hard-earned money on fire. And, please spare us from the "but it's for their own good" argument. Young children do not need to learn how to set off explosives. Neither do teenagers unless they plan to work in demolition, and I promise you that if that's the case, their future employers will provide on-the-job training.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,598 times
We spent $40.00. We had our kids 11 and 2. We also had my sister, her husband and their kids, 14, 9, 5 and 2 here. We live next to the beach so we always have company stay on the 4th of July week. We also went to the fire works show. We all set on the porch to watch and my husband was the only one to light the fireworks.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
As you grow older, you might find yourself averse to what essentially amounts to lighting your hard-earned money on fire. And, please spare us from the "but it's for their own good" argument. Young children do not need to learn how to set off explosives. Neither do teenagers unless they plan to work in demolition, and I promise you that if that's the case, their future employers will provide on-the-job training.
ok, but i guarentee my kid won't leave the stove on after cooking ramen, or be afraid to ignite the pilot light in the furnace, or be ignorant to how a propane or charcoal grill works.

he'll also know how to rig a fire, and how to put one out.

so, if you're a business owner and you have a building to demolish, do you want the guy fresh out of training who's never had any hands on experience? or do you want the guy who says "been doin this my whole life, just got hired on cause i knew what i was doin, i know what'll make er fall cheap and clean!"

Old 07-15-2010, 02:20 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
We didn't buy any this year. Went camping and came home in time on the 4th to go to a big party where they did fireworks....my kids are 15,13,8,8...my husband is the one who lights them off, none of the kids...15 year old is my daughter and she has no interest in lighting them anyway...my 13 year old boy however is really bugging us about lighting off fireworks...plus it's his birthday on the 4th of July so he really expects us to buy our own too lol

Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
so, if you're a business owner and you have a building to demolish, do you want the guy fresh out of training who's never had any hands on experience? or do you want the guy who says "been doin this my whole life, just got hired on cause i knew what i was doin, i know what'll make er fall cheap and clean!"
Seriously?

If I owned a demolition business, I wouldn't be looking to a 22-year-old who likes to detonate M-80s in his spare time to head up my crew. I'd hire someone with real experience, someone who's taken more than a passing glance at OSHA requirements and takes safety very, VERY seriously. As for the junior members of the crew, I'd want young people who demonstrate humility and a willingness to learn, not cocky kids who think that a few summers spent lighting off fireworks makes them explosives experts.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Seriously?

If I owned a demolition business, I wouldn't be looking to a 22-year-old who likes to detonate M-80s in his spare time to head up my crew. I'd hire someone with real experience, someone who's taken more than a passing glance at OSHA requirements and takes safety very, VERY seriously. As for the junior members of the crew, I'd want young people who demonstrate humility and a willingness to learn, not cocky kids who think that a few summers spent lighting off fireworks makes them explosives experts.
ok, not only have you exhibited complete ignorance to the career of pyrotechnics, you hypocritically claim you want someone with "real experience" well where do you think that desire and experience starts? at home as a child.

i know Occupational Safety and Health Administration standards better than you because i work with them every day. and you apparently didn't take a passing glance at the preparation i would give my child. so therefore you exemplify exactly what you despise: carelessness, and lack of attention to detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting