Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times

Advertisements

I'm no expert on children but seems to me they did listen. They were asked not to splash in the smaller part so they moved on. Then later the OP moved on to the larger part where the boys had previously moved to when asked not to splash. So why do the children have to move again?

Unless if the children had already left the larger part then saw the OP there then I would say at that point it's a matter of something like hey he/she said we couldn't be in the smaller part and now he/she is here that's not fair. That seems to me the way children think sometimes and I can't say I blame them if they did. They aren't going to understand the adult wants to cool off and decided to go into the larger part of the pool while it was empty if the children had already left.

Of course it doesn't excuse their behavior by getting even and yes they do at that young an age decide to get even if smart enough. Most kids today are more braver especially when there's no adult present. I wouldn't expect them to understand it's wrong to do that after they already left the other part of the pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:38 PM

382 posts, read 302,790 times
I know my kids go no where without me or my wife or both of us. Granted they are still a toddler and a little girl but I could not imagine letting me kids out alone to play. The only time that happens is at our home which has a fenced in yard with a gate locked on it so no one can get in or out unless I let them in or out. Even then I check on them constantly. I could never allow my kids to go unsupervised I guess I am just a cautious parent but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM

382 posts, read 302,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
I'm no expert on children but seems to me they did listen. They were asked not to splash in the smaller part so they moved on. Then later the OP moved on to the larger part where the boys had previously moved to when asked not to splash. So why do the children have to move again?

Unless if the children had already left the larger part then saw the OP there then I would say at that point it's a matter of something like hey he/she said we couldn't be in the smaller part and now he/she is here that's not fair. That seems to me the way children think sometimes and I can't say I blame them if they did. They aren't going to understand the adult wants to cool off and decided to go into the larger part of the pool while it was empty if the children had already left.

Of course it doesn't excuse their behavior by getting even and yes they do at that young an age decide to get even if smart enough. Most kids today are more braver especially when there's no adult present. I wouldn't expect them to understand it's wrong to do that after they already left the other part of the pool.
She said the pool (the big one) was empty when she got to it. Then they jumped in. So in my opinion she was correct and in the end its the fact that the kids were not being watched.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:46 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoss14 View Post
She said the pool (the big one) was empty when she got to it. Then they jumped in. So in my opinion she was correct and in the end its the fact that the kids were not being watched.
Yes and it does look that way. Had the parent(s) been there to see them they could have told the children it doesn't matter what part of the pool/where they are jumping/splashing the lesson to learn is don't do it around adults and especially when you were already asked not to the first time.

Aren't there suppose to be lifeguards present? why didn't the lifeguard warn the children or ask them to stop.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My children absolutely DO NOT have to accomodate adults simply because they are "adults". That is total BS. I respect my children as seperate, autonomous beings. They are not taught to listen to every adult they encounter. They are not taught that adults are somehow more deserving of being treated nicely than children.
Putting kids on pedestals does them no favors. They grow up arrogant, narcissistic and boorishly unbearable to be around. Kids are NOT equal to adults.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Putting kids on pedestals does them no favors. They grow up arrogant, narcissistic and boorishly unbearable to be around. Kids are NOT equal to adults.

Yes, they are. Kids and adults are human. Recognizing that and respecting that is farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from putting them on a pedestal.

I don't even know where you would get that idea from, TBH.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:01 PM

408 posts, read 809,409 times
Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I treat my kids and other adults equally: with respect for them AND myself.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:03 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Its funny because I can tell EXACTLY who was put on a pedestal as a child at my work. And these are girls in their mid twenties.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:08 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoss14 View Post
I know my kids go no where without me or my wife or both of us. Granted they are still a toddler and a little girl but I could not imagine letting me kids out alone to play. The only time that happens is at our home which has a fenced in yard with a gate locked on it so no one can get in or out unless I let them in or out. Even then I check on them constantly. I could never allow my kids to go unsupervised I guess I am just a cautious parent but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Of course you don't let a toddler go out and play unsupervised. But these were not toddlers. I assume at some point you will let your kids go out and play without you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting