Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Dangerous... you didn't see how he was getting in my face and screaming...
I am sorry you experienced that. OTOH, it might be helpful for the parents to get some training. They could so easily be faced with a tragedy if the police get involved.

This is a story that needs to be shown

Is Sitting While Autistic a Crime? - Newsweek

Is Sitting While Autistic a Crime?
Law-enforcement officials often misinterpret the language and behavior of people on the autism spectrum, with serious consequences. One activist hopes to change that.

Autism is a diverse condition, but it is characterized by behaviors—repetitive movements, poor eye contact, sensitivity to lights and noise—that can be misinterpreted as unusual and even disrespectful. Even innocent behaviors can be come off as malicious. Grossman tells the story of an autistic man who loved to ride the bus. One day, he started staring at a female passenger. “She told him to stop, he wouldn’t, and it got uglier and uglier,” says Grossman. Ultimately, the police were called. The man’s crime turned out to be an autistic trait: fixation on a single object. In this case, the man was fascinated by the woman’s dangling earring.

I am sure the woman was scared to death of this man.

Dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,582,793 times
I think you did what you had to do. I had a similar situation happen in Target with a mentally challenged boy who was probably about 17 or 18. He was with his mother and they were looking at storage bins that were along one of the main aisles. My wife had the baby in the carrier in the shopping cart and my son was walking with her. I had stopped to look at something and was catching up with them.

As my wife past the mother and her son, the son reached out, grabbed my wifes arm and pulled her towards him. The cart was jostled, but my wife let go and the baby was OK. My wife realized the boy wasn't quite right and said to him can you please let go you're hurting my arm. Then repeated herself even louder. Meanwhile I'm now running down the aisle. The boys mother turns to him and says, "dear please let the lady go, that's not nice". Of course he starts pulling her more. I get there and grab his wrist and get his hand off my wife's arm, push him back and stand between him and my family. He reaches out for me and I slapped his hand away and told him not to touch me. My wife took the kids and headed off down the aisle.

The mother starts saying that he doesn't understand and just wants to show us something. I told her flat out that if he isn't capable of understanding that grabbing people like that is unacceptable that she shouldn't take him out in public. She told me I was overreacting and just don't understand him. I told her that all I understand is that he hurt my wife and scared my kids and if he does it again he's getting decked and I'm pressing assault charges and I walked away. She headed off in the opposite direction.

When I got to my wife she had a pretty large bruise on her arm from where he grabbed her. I can have all the toleration for people with mental handicaps, but if they can't manage at least the most basic manners in public places, then they shouldn't be in public places. Maybe I overreacted but the adrenalin was pumping as soon as I saw him grab my wife. At least my wife had the sense to let go of the cart or it could have been much worse if the baby had ended up on the floor and I can then guarantee you that kid would have had a fist in his face, retarded or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting