Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:07 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,601 times

Advertisements

Just curious what most parents would opt for their kids. On a recent international flight, I was kind of caught off guard and had to quickly make the decision regarding my 8 and 11 year old daughters. Neither one seemed appealing. I opted for the Full Body Screening, but I'm still not 100% convinced of the safety of it and the image conveyed is pretty revealing. On the other hand, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of some stranger "patting down" my children. BTW, both girls voted for the scan, which counts for something, too.

Which have you or would you select for your children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
I have boys - body scan, given the 2 options.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
gosh, I never thought about it! I think I might opt for the scan. Even though it can be revealing, at least no one is actually touching my kid.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
What ever happened to the 4th Amendment to the Constitution (Bill of Rights)? This amendment protects against unreasonable searches and seizures.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:00 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
I am against the body scans since they are the equivalent of a virtual strip search. I'd also be very uncomfortable with a stranger patting down my kid. On principle, I'd choose the pat down but if I was actually faced with the situation, who knows, I might opt for the body scan. Tough call.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
What ever happened to the 4th Amendment to the Constitution (Bill of Rights)? This amendment protects against unreasonable searches and seizures.
In this day and time it is not unreasonable.
The safety of the majority is now more important than the privacy of one.

I would opt for the pat down.
Because I have been patted down more times than I can count through my police training. During training we pat down each other and we do our own training at each others houses, where plenty of pat downs happen.

I know how the pat down works, the way they have to turn their hands in certain spots and whats considered appropriate and what isn't, so if anything happened then I could call them out on it.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
In this day and time it is not unreasonable.
The safety of the majority is now more important than the privacy of one.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Ben Franklin

Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Ben Franklin

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

We want the privilege to fly. That privilege now comes with a price due to the actions of others.

Those pat downs and body scans are a necessary evil because its saves lives by preventing dangerous people from doing anything bad.

Now, are kids dangerous? Well, yes. Children are easily swayed to do things for adults all in the name of religion and obeying ones elders. Don't get me started on their beliefs. I'll **** a few bricks in the process of ranting, no so bueno.

Do you think people should just be able to fly all nimbly bimbly carrying whatever they want onto the plane?

No people need to be checked so oh idk another plane isn't highjacked and thousands of innocent lives aren't lost.

Did you forget 9/11 already?
I haven't. Lucky lil me has a photographic memory and I can still see the living room, my bowl of cereal and THE PLANES GOING RIGHT INTO THE BUILDINGS!!!! I can still picture it in my head, watching it on CNN, thinking it was a movie and then realising that it was not. Imagine that at just turned 12, wrapping my little 12 year old mind around the fact that horrible stuff like that actually happened. Oh and lets not forget all the people diving out of the windows. That's was lovely to see. My little happy bubble about life and people was burst after that.

Body scans and pat down by professionals who don't give a **** about what your kid looks or feels like under their clothes are the least of your worries, you could ask for a woman to do it for daughters and a guy to do it for sons.

If I had young kids, daughters and sons, I would rather them go through a pat down or a body scan in order to prevent them seeing the effects what what happens when you don't do pat downs and body scans.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 PM

All of america watched people burn to death, dive to their death and be crushed to death during the impact and the fall of the buildings. We WATCHED thousands of people die on national television.

And you want to be so selfish to say that you don't like the security measures that prevent that.

Honestly. Only way to prevent that stuff from happening is to kick everyone back to their countries and close our borders.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

We want the privilege to fly. That privilege now comes with a price due to the actions of others.

Those pat downs and body scans are a necessary evil because its saves lives by preventing dangerous people from doing anything bad.

Now, are kids dangerous? Well, yes. Children are easily swayed to do things for adults all in the name of religion and obeying ones elders. Don't get me started on their beliefs. I'll **** a few bricks in the process of ranting, no so bueno.

Do you think people should just be able to fly all nimbly bimbly carrying whatever they want onto the plane?

No people need to be checked so oh idk another plane isn't highjacked and thousands of innocent lives aren't lost.

Did you forget 9/11 already?
I haven't. Lucky lil me has a photographic memory and I can still see the living room, my bowl of cereal and THE PLANES GOING RIGHT INTO THE BUILDINGS!!!! I can still picture it in my head, watching it on CNN, thinking it was a movie and then realising that it was not. Imagine that at just turned 12, wrapping my little 12 year old mind around the fact that horrible stuff like that actually happened. Oh and lets not forget all the people diving out of the windows. That's was lovely to see. My little happy bubble about life and people was burst after that.

Body scans and pat down by professionals who don't give a **** about what your kid looks or feels like under their clothes are the least of your worries, you could ask for a woman to do it for daughters and a guy to do it for sons.

If I had young kids, daughters and sons, I would rather them go through a pat down or a body scan in order to prevent them seeing the effects what what happens when you don't do pat downs and body scans.
Do these body scans really save lives? The odds of being the victim of a terrorist attack on an airplane are one in 10,408,947. Just to give some perspective, the odds of being struck by lightening are one in 500,000.

These scans can not see inside of body cavities. If someone is bound and determined to commit an act of terrorism and smuggle a weapon onto an airplane, they will find a way. I do not think it's wise to give up our constitutional right to be free of unreasonable search for the very slight, hypothetical decrease in likelihood of being the victim of a terrorist attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting