Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Enquiring minds want to know: Does she eat lobster today or was she so traumatized she runs screaming from the sight of melted butter?
I asked her tonight if she remembered it, but she doesn't. My mother never heard the story though and laughed heartily over it.

She likes lobster. I took her to Mystic, CT, for a weekend once when she was 10, and we went to a waterfront restaurant. She ordered lobster, and asked the waiter for ketchup, and ate the whole thing.

She eats it with butter now, though!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Wonderful!

(Maybe I shouldn't be so enthusiastic. The PITA people are going to be all over us. )

Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
HA HA HA HA!!! LOL! privacy and peace in a grocery store????
I think it depends on where you shop. You won't find it at CostCo but you can at small Natural Foods grocers or sometimes Whole Foods... we've moved around a lot for my husbands job and one of the first things I always do when we get settled is seek out the grocery store that feels the happiest. Sounds odd... I know... but if the lights are too harsh and bright, or if the place feels run-down or dirty... it's an aesthetic thing. Even though my kids are much older now (oldest is a Freshman in HS) I still enjoy the grocery shopping when I'm at my favorite store. Where we live now my favorite store is independantly owned by a local family here, so it's not one of those large ugly chain stores. There's even a large section of books and a nice tea/coffee area. They have live music on weekends, and a really good bakery right in the store. I can spend quite awhile there chillin' out. If it's CostCo or some other place I just get in and out as quick as I can because it's not the same enjoyable experience.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
Today I was shopping with my 8 month old son. He is in the stroller, and crying non-stop. I picked him up, He stopped. then I put him back in the stroller, He started screaming again. I talked to him and tried to comfort him, but he is just crying. I decided to ignore him, getting things and checking out as quickly as possible.

When I was checking out, a old lady came to me. saying:" This is not right! This baby is crying for half an hour! You pick him up!" I was actually in the store for about 10 minutes. I told her, I couldn't do it when I was checking out. But she doesn't let it go, kept saying, This is not right! This is not Right!
I ignored her, She left. When I got my bags and strolled the baby out, she is waiting at the exit, saying, this is not right! blablabla....

I was really upset. I told her, I was not able to hold the baby, take the bags and push the stroller at the same time! Then I just left

What should I do if I meet things like this next time?
Tell the meddling twot that if she's not going to volunteer to babysit while you shop to mind her own damn business, that's what.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:48 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
NCyank
Go back and read the original post. She finially ignored the crys, not the baby.

Now we have 2 mothers that never had their baby cry in a grocery store and never had to run to the store when their baby might be sleepy or cranky or God forbid have their baby wet its diaper after leaving the house.

And hey why put your baby in an infant seat while driving, thats why we have laps isnt it? You know, there are some people that would tell you juggling a baby on your hip is dangerous, you might drop them. And some people that would tell you breastfeeding is unnatural. None of their business, is it.

Just curious, all of those who believe it is unacceptable to let your baby cry for 10 minutes. What did you do when you were driving and your infant in its car seat ,in the back seat, began crying. Did you pull over immediately, park the car and get the infant out and cuddle it until he stopped crying before you continued home. And what if he started crying again when you got back in the car?
I read every post in this thread and you are the only one who says she is ignoring the "crying" and not the baby. There is a BIG difference. Yes, she said she was ignoring the baby, but I am thinking she meant his pitiful cries. It is so hard to let our INFANTS cry for any length of time, but sometimes it is a necessity.
I'm thinking maybe one of these "mothers" may not even be a mother at all. Sorry, but as a mother I know babies cry and sometimes there is not a damn thing we can do to soothe them. So we let them cry. Any mother should know this. It is hard for me to believe a "mother" can not tell the difference between ignoring the cries and ignoring the baby. (Even if the OP did not state such.)
I am one of those mothers who walked away from a child having a temper tantrum...he never had another in a store!
It must be so nice to have perfectly behaved children. Hopefully they stay that way and don't rebel when they become teens.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:07 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
It must be so nice to have perfectly behaved children. Hopefully they stay that way and don't rebel when they become teens.
It must be. I wouldnt know. My "baby" is in his 20's now and I still cant go to the grocery with him without him embarrassing me. I thought at this point, I was the one that was suspose to embarrass him.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
At 8 months old I don't think it has anything to do with behavior of the child but choice of the mother to go shopping when the baby was stressed.
Of course my kids weren't perfect and neither was I. There were times when it was all I could do to time a shower so that no one was screaming by the time I was done. I didn't always get it right but that was the goal. But, there were also many, MANY times when I waited an hour to take that shower so as to take care of the baby first. There were times that I might have wanted to go somewhere or do something but chose to go home or stay home instead because baby was getting fussy and I knew a shopping trip or visit with a friend would put them over the edge. Maybe we had just been out long enough already, maybe it was coming up on meal time or nap time, maybe baby is teething or just had shots and not feeling well in general....doesn't really matter...we went home. So no, my babies never had a time in public when I chose to go shopping while they screamed. That doesn't imply perfect parenting or perfect children....just good timing.
Besides, it just wouldn't be worth it to me...it sounds like torture for not only the baby but the mom and the other shoppers as well. I guess I was never very good at ignoring screaming babies.

And thanks for your 'concern' about my kids as teens....we're doing fine so far, they're still not perfect (and neither am I) but they're not at all rebellious either. We're enjoying seeing them grow into young adults without the drama many families with teens seem to endure. Good for us, bummer for you, who wasn't really concerned at all but not-so-subtly hoping that we would 'get ours' in the teen years.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:41 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think it depends on where you shop. You won't find it at CostCo but you can at small Natural Foods grocers or sometimes Whole Foods... we've moved around a lot for my husbands job and one of the first things I always do when we get settled is seek out the grocery store that feels the happiest. Sounds odd... I know... but if the lights are too harsh and bright, or if the place feels run-down or dirty... it's an aesthetic thing. Even though my kids are much older now (oldest is a Freshman in HS) I still enjoy the grocery shopping when I'm at my favorite store. Where we live now my favorite store is independantly owned by a local family here, so it's not one of those large ugly chain stores. There's even a large section of books and a nice tea/coffee area. They have live music on weekends, and a really good bakery right in the store. I can spend quite awhile there chillin' out. If it's CostCo or some other place I just get in and out as quick as I can because it's not the same enjoyable experience.
It is still a public place and there should be no expectation of privacy. Peace? I guess that depends on what makes you feel peaceful.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:41 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Tulani, the point is, the other shoppers in the store don't know, or care, why a baby is crying for 10 minutes. They only know, and care, that a baby IS crying straight for ten minutes. Which wouldn't be such a big deal..

However, let's take the "it's okay" stance on it and extend it some.

THIS lady's kid is crying for ten minutes. Five minutes before she leaves, another mom comes in with her 11-month-old twins. Obviously this is gonna be a longer shopping trip - so we'll make it a full half hour (I mean c'mon, what shopper goes to the supermarket and spends only TEN minutes, with a kid in a stroller? I'm guessing the OP was picking a short duration just to make herself look more like a victim).

So this first kid is screaming it's poor widdel innocent smoofy cutsey baby self's head off for 5 minutes, and then these new twin smookies chime in with their own opinion. For five minutes, you have THREE screaming children. Five minutes later, baby #1 leaves, and the twins are still at it, for another 10 minutes. During this time, someone else's kid comes in, because THEIR mom has heard this store is tolerant toward screaming kids.

An hour into this exercise, we have *many* shoppers who are there trying to shop, whose day doesn't really revolve around grocery shopping but do what they must, hopefully as uneventfully as possible and get out. During this time, they have had shrieking kids at every turn, in every aisle, and in the check-out, and even in the parking lot.

After a couple weeks of this, they catch wind that the supermarket in the next town over has a lower tolerance toward this kind of thing, and its managers kindly offer to watch carts of mommies with "shrieking kid syndrome" while they bring their kids outside to calm them down.

Well the Screaming Store's got a lot of mommy business, but unfortunately they've just lost a whole lot more business than they've attracted. Because the vast majority of shoppers in this country don't bring screaming babies into supermarkets. And the vast majority of shoppers who don't bring screaming babies into supermarkets, would prefer to shop without screaming babies, than with them, if they had a choice between the two.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Tulani, the point is, the other shoppers in the store don't know, or care, why a baby is crying for 10 minutes. They only know, and care, that a baby IS crying straight for ten minutes. Which wouldn't be such a big deal..

However, let's take the "it's okay" stance on it and extend it some.

THIS lady's kid is crying for ten minutes. Five minutes before she leaves, another mom comes in with her 11-month-old twins. Obviously this is gonna be a longer shopping trip - so we'll make it a full half hour (I mean c'mon, what shopper goes to the supermarket and spends only TEN minutes, with a kid in a stroller? I'm guessing the OP was picking a short duration just to make herself look more like a victim).

So this first kid is screaming it's poor widdel innocent smoofy cutsey baby self's head off for 5 minutes, and then these new twin smookies chime in with their own opinion. For five minutes, you have THREE screaming children. Five minutes later, baby #1 leaves, and the twins are still at it, for another 10 minutes. During this time, someone else's kid comes in, because THEIR mom has heard this store is tolerant toward screaming kids.

An hour into this exercise, we have *many* shoppers who are there trying to shop, whose day doesn't really revolve around grocery shopping but do what they must, hopefully as uneventfully as possible and get out. During this time, they have had shrieking kids at every turn, in every aisle, and in the check-out, and even in the parking lot.

After a couple weeks of this, they catch wind that the supermarket in the next town over has a lower tolerance toward this kind of thing, and its managers kindly offer to watch carts of mommies with "shrieking kid syndrome" while they bring their kids outside to calm them down.

Well the Screaming Store's got a lot of mommy business, but unfortunately they've just lost a whole lot more business than they've attracted. Because the vast majority of shoppers in this country don't bring screaming babies into supermarkets. And the vast majority of shoppers who don't bring screaming babies into supermarkets, would prefer to shop without screaming babies, than with them, if they had a choice between the two.
No, that's not the point. The point is some old woman doesn't know how to mind her own business. and MAYBE the OP could have picked a better time to shop (maybe. We really don't know what the crying was about). Some people must live in a fantasy land or things must be vastly different in your part of the world. I have never ever seen or heard of a grocery store worker offering to watch someone's cart while they take their baby outside. Never. I can't seem to get help when I need it for something that is actually IN their job description, let alone an employee coming to ME to offer to watch my cart. Now people are just making stuff up for the drama. We get it - no one likes a screaming baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting