Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It's difficult to mind your own business when your business is being intruded upon by a screaming child and a mother who doesn't make it stop.
Get a grip. Babies cry, kids act up. Apparently old ladies dont mind their business. Being in public means dealing with others in a civilized manner.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:06 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
are you kidding? ALL babies cry, sometimes at times that are less than convenient. If she could finish her shopping within 10 minutes, like she said she did, and change or feed the baby in the car, then what is the problem? That woman was beyond rude. We are not talking about some kind of adult space like a fancy restaurant or movie theater, we are talking about a GROCERY STORE!
Are you kidding? ALL people don't like shopping with a baby screaming for 10 minutes. It grates on nerves.

This is one of those my rights vs. your rights. It isn't up to a mother to decide everyone else in a store should just buck up and listen to her one child scream.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Get a grip. Babies cry, kids act up. Apparently old ladies dont mind their business. Being in public means dealing with others in a civilized manner.
And screaming babies or kids is not civilized.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Yes babies cry and they squirm and what have you . The older lady should have offered to help her in some way other than criticizing her for her baby crying . I agree some people really should mind their own business .

Old 07-20-2010, 02:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Are you kidding? ALL people don't like shopping with a baby screaming for 10 minutes. It grates on nerves.

This is one of those my rights vs. your rights. It isn't up to a mother to decide everyone else in a store should just buck up and listen to her one child scream.
I guess it would be your right to shop at 11 pm after all the screaming babies have gone to bed, if they really bother you THAT much.

Believe me, my nerves are more easily grated on than most people. I would still NEVER do what that old woman did. She didn't even seem to be upset that the crying was bothering her, but that the baby needed something. If she was THAT bothered she would have just left, instead of waiting for the OP outside the store to let her know, again, that she was neglecting her child.

There are so many things people do to abuse kids in this world. letting one cry for 10 minutes is not one of them and should be the least of that old woman's worries.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 07-20-2010 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
She didn't even seem to be upset that the crying was bothering her, but that the baby needed something. If she was THAT bothered she would have just left, instead of waiting for the OP outside the store to let he know, again, that she was neglecting her child.
I also got the impression from the OP that the old woman was concerned about the baby's needs, not annoyed about the crying.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
And screaming babies or kids is not civilized.

It is perfectly natural for babies and children to scream and cry. At a young age they have not developed the skills to express their needs. As adults we should have an understanding of this and the skills to deal with small inconveniences in a civil manner be it screaming babies, energetic children, annoying teens or old and handicapped people. Instead of being critical, lend a hand.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I also got the impression from the OP that the old woman was concerned about the baby's needs, not annoyed about the crying.
I sometimes think that older people have forgotten what having a small baby is like. That woman probably had tunnel vision - CRYING BABY - MUST CUDDLE!

I'm sure the OP ran through her options, including leaving her cart full of groceries and taking the baby to the car. That doesn't make the most sense. some one could have easily restocked all her stuff and she could have had to start over with a baby that was still upset.

As others said, a shopping cart cover with toys attached is what I used. At least the baby can see you instead of facing away from you in a stroller.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Just how old was this "old" lady?

Old 07-20-2010, 05:22 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It is perfectly natural for babies and children to scream and cry. At a young age they have not developed the skills to express their needs. As adults we should have an understanding of this and the skills to deal with small inconveniences in a civil manner be it screaming babies, energetic children, annoying teens or old and handicapped people. Instead of being critical, lend a hand.
Amen to that 2mares! And any adult that can't see that must have (by the miracle of some rapid evolution) walked out the womb and talked...

As adults we should definitely have an understanding and anyone who yells at me because my child is screaming or actually follows me to the exit to continue to yell because my child is scream is a FORM OF HARASSMENT! And trust me the law would be on my side because I would nail your a.. by telling the police you were following my child and I around the store like some sort of wild person. And what would they think of that? What if it was this ladies fault that the child was crying? How many times have you had a person come over while shopping saying "What a cute baby!" OOHING AND AHHING making the baby cry! I know I have had this happen and sometimes calming down doesnt always work.

The OP did right and there is NO EXCUSE for someone who can't show a little courtesy and offer the OP help instead of berating her and making her feel like a bad mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting