Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think it can be useful with older kids (teens). Teens often ask for very specific privileges, skate on the grey line set out by their parents, and then claim they did not break the rules. If you have a kid like this then it can be very useful to set the rules out in writing (including what will happen if you break them) and have the child sign the contract.

I would not do general contracts, but contracts to define specific privileges might work well. I would not do a contract for a child younger than 12/13.
Tried to rep you but I couldn't

My thoughts exactly. Sometimes with teens you need to be really, really specific! What's obvious to us is not to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Tried to rep you but I couldn't

My thoughts exactly. Sometimes with teens you need to be really, really specific! What's obvious to us is not to them.
Exactly! While I may say "You need to come home right after school." He may interpret that as: "You need to be home at some point before dinner." He may see nothing wrong with stopping at friend's house to do homework there, while I will be at home seething (probably calling him to find out WHERE ARE YOU?). A contract can be useful.

Not every child will benefit from contracts (mine listens pretty well) but others really need every detail spelled out, in writing.....Know your child.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,515 times
Wheres TxtQueen... bet her inpute would be interesting on this item .. ::chuckles:: SOMETIMES she hits it right on

Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Exactly! While I may say "You need to come home right after school." He may interpret that as: "You need to be home at some point before dinner." He may see nothing wrong with stopping at friend's house to do homework there, while I will be at home seething (probably calling him to find out WHERE ARE YOU?).
This made me laugh! Mine listens pretty well too. But there have been times where I've asked him to clean the basement since he's the main one who uses it. His definition of clean and mine are vastly different! So I've learned to spell it out as to what I expect.

Gotta love teens. It's hard because one minute they act very adult like and the next their age. Hard to remember their brains are still developing.....

Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM

245 posts, read 585,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Is there such a thing as a parental/child contract, stating mutually agreed and stated points in a relationship?

If not, should there be one?
Nope.
Why would there be?
Contracts don't always work for businesses and individuals...why would they work for families?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
Nope.
Why would there be?
Contracts don't always work for businesses and individuals...why would they work for families?
Depends on the family. Derek Jeter, one of the most admired baseball players ever, signed a contract with his parents every year.

This is excerpted from CBS News's 60 Minutes Interview with Jeter and his parents:

"And work at it he did. Every year from the time he was a kid until he graduated high school, Derek had to sign a contract drawn up by his father. He would be permitted to play baseball only if he complied with all 18 clauses, including "no arguing," "no alcohol and drugs," and "respect girls.""

Old 07-21-2010, 11:04 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Nothing wrong with a contract if used appropriately - contracts outline expectations and provide clarity for both parties. I agree with jkcoop and momma_bear....I would guess they would be best utilized with teens if needed. Frankly - a basic understanding of contracts and how they work is a very good thing to provide your teens as they get older.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I used contracts with my children a few times throughout their lives---at various ages, not just as teens. The first time was around the 10-11 age range.

It's a fantastic parenting tool that outlines expected behavior or goal and details consequences and rewards.

Having them sign a contract mentally commits them to the agreement. We had great success with contracts.

For some reason, my children took contracts very seriously. They even wrote and presented a few contracts of their own when they wanted to accomplish something.

In my experience, parents who resist the idea of contracts are parents who do not want to promise anything to their children.

They were parents who parented without clear consequences and give out punishments at whim instead of thinking through their parenting.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
I have never known a parent to request a contract from their child. Anyone who does can't be too secure in their role as parent, or are afraid of their kids. It would damage the trust between parent and child IMO. When families trust each member, there is no need for a contract.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
Nope.
Why would there be?

Sure they can work. Any relationship is healthy when there are clearly laid down roles, expectations and duties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting