Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:52 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times

Advertisements

Can you Fly some one in for the week(His grandma/pa, an aunt/uncle that he know, A older (20's) cuz who can take off from work or there college has not started yet) ?

Might be cheaper then the cancelation fees,

Can he stay with a friend of his, A week is a long time, but if he has a good buddy in the school district sending area that would work as plan B.

You will need to Call him everyday anyway to find out how his day went, and to comfort him while you are away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
When you're a parent, though, you accept these types of inconveniences if they are in the best interest of your child. Ask yourself if your son would be negatively affected by missing the first week of school. At his age, I think he would be. You would be much less affected by waiting to honeymoon with your new spouse until it's a more appropriate time to leave your son. You are the adult here.
I agree. Perhaps you don't get a honeymoon at this time. Maybe a 1st anniversary trip next summer, and, if you can swing it, a quick weekend trip soon after the wedding.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I disagree with putting off your honeymoon. Yes, it would be ideal to have your child there the first week. But, it certainly won't be the end of the world if he isn't. By the 2nd month of school it won't matter one bit.

We purposely kept our kids home one year when we moved to a new town. We let the craziness of back-to-school subside for a couple of weeks, then registered them. That way everyone knew they were new, and they weren't lost in the shuffle,
I'm sorry, but that seems really odd to me.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:21 PM

426 posts, read 791,728 times
Also by showing your child that you are staying home to send him to the first week of school (especially at this age) will show the child how important education is in your eyes and that school should be important to him as well. There are just somethings in life as a parent that you need to sacrifice for a child and education should be one of them IMO.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Why isn't spending a week with his father at least as important as the first week of school? We're talking about first grade here. What is he really going to miss except some kindergarten review?

The OP can always stop in with her child and introduce him to the teacher and let her know he won't be there at the beginning. Ask if the teacher would like him to do any work while he's with his father.

My niece recently got married. She had to postpone her honeymoon because she started a new job right before the wedding, and couldn't take time off. It was quite a letdown having a big wedding on Saturday and having to be back at her desk Monday morning.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Traditionally a honeymoon was intended to allow a bride and groom to be able to spend time alone together after all the excitement of the wedding. This time would be spent getting to know each other intimately but also in other ways, without distractions.

It was something taken mostly by young couples getting married for the first time who needed that time to settle into a newly married relationship....before they made a home together and before they started a family.

Today's honeymoon isn't about establishing a new relationship anymore as many people getting married are already living together, have children and have an established home in some way. It's a glorified vacation away from the rest of the family.

If the OP will be starting a completely different relationship after the wedding-meaning making a home together for the first time are still a long way from knowing each other well and inexperienced together intimately, then a honeymoon could be justified in delaying the start of a school year for a young child.

However, if the OP has been in a fully developed relationship with the husband to be whether living together, sleeping over at each others places frequently or have been a couple for an extended amount of time, then the vacation following the wedding should be postponed to a time that works better for the entire family.

There is a difference between starting a new life together as a couple and merging families already established.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 PM

It is a tough one. no one can make the decision but the mom. I think, for me, it might come down to how much money would be lost if you cancel the trip now.

I second the idea of flying a grandparent in to watch the child at your house so he can still go to school, if that is possible.

Personally, I don't believe in taking kids out of school for much of anything. That's just how I was raised.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:20 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Yes, the first week is incredibly important. It's when you learn rules and routine, it's when friendships are made, and to a 6 year old it's going to be super important to him to be there the first day.

Why not have a "staycation" for a few days. If you don't live together already and are truly setting up house together for the first time, use the days (since your son will be in school) to combine households and enjoy a few days together at home. Hire a sitter for a night or two and stay at a hotel close by. Order in food, eat with candles, etc etc. Go on a real vacation over a school holiday later on.

If you've already been living together anyway, than a "honeymoon" seems kind of silly. It's just a vacation at that point, and can be taken at any time.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:22 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,378 times
Tough situation. The first week is important in getting used to the teacher and classmates, but academically, not much is happening. Did he attend the same school for kindergarten? If he didn't, I would say the honeymoon is definitely off, but if he did, it might not be so bad.

Before you decide, discuss it with your son, his father, and his teacher. Get their input. Find out if he has any friends in the class, and make arrangements with another parent to get classroom materials. If your son would be really nervous about missing that week (both of my kids would have been), I think you have to listen to him. The new marriage is a pretty big thing for a little kid to deal with already.

Missing the first week of class isn't an ideal scenario, but I think you can handle it if you have to. And I don't fault you for the scheduling mistake. We all do things like that sometimes.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
What about doing a quick wknd trip somewhere and then on your 1 yr anniversary do something and have a combo honeymoon and 1 yr anniversary trip .? I think this is the most obvious solution to the problem . good luck and congrats .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting