Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:26 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,736,563 times

Advertisements

My dd is starting Kindergarten in a school that requires uniforms. I was planning to buy a few pieces now and more as needed but I was told by someone that I should buy everything now because the stores will not carry uniforms later. My question is how many pieces would I need for the entire year and is 60%cotton/40%polyester better than 100% cotton?.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,838,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
My dd is starting Kindergarten in a school that requires uniforms. I was planning to buy a few pieces now and more as needed but I was told by someone that I should buy everything now because the stores will not carry uniforms later. My question is how many pieces would I need for the entire year and is 60%cotton/40%polyester better than 100% cotton?.

Thanks
It really depends on the school. My kids school use a uniform store so they stock stuff all year. You should find out whether the school does a "dress down" day so you know how many days a week you need uniform clothes. Call the school-they will know whether they carry things all year or not.

Our school does not do a dress down day. I like to have one shirt/shorts for each child, for each school day so I buy each kid 5 shirts/shorts. I wait until closer to the winter to get long sleeved stuff and long pants.

You have to figure out what works for your personality and budget. I don't like to have the pressure of having to do laundry mid week so that everyone has clean school clothes so I get 5 pair of everything and do laundry over the weekend. If you can't afford to buy that much you can probably get by with 3 days worth of stuff, 2 days if there is a dress down day and do laundry once midweek.

We don't get a whole lot of cold weather so I only get each child 2 pair of long pants and 2 long sleeved shirts. During the odd spell of cold weather I just do laundry more frequently. It's usually for only a short time of year.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 AM

2,714 posts, read 5,343,987 times
Lands End has uniforms all year round I believe. There are stores here that carry school uniforms year round as well. Why not give a call to the people you are getting them from and ask about it?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,771,563 times
We've found that uniform pants can be hard to find in the middle of the school year. But they can usually be found online any time of year.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,736,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Lands End has uniforms all year round I believe. There are stores here that carry school uniforms year round as well. Why not give a call to the people you are getting them from and ask about it?
I just looked at Lands End website and their uniforms are expensive. Right now I have found the best deal at Target for $9-$10 bottoms and $6 tops. That is why I want buy all I'll need now. The question is do you find you have to replace pieces throught the year or does everything last?.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times
I guess it depends on the kid. My boys tend to go through the knees of their jeans before spring comes.

We have Osh Kosh and Carter's outlets nearby. I noticed they had khaki and navy blue pants (lots of them, presumably school uniform type), in the spring, marked WAY down. I bet you would be able to get them, but maybe not at Target.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,812,346 times
My school required certain uniforms which were only able to be purchased at specific uniform stores. So my mom got us each 2 skirt and a sweater and a vest. We started out with 5 blouses each and by the time I graduated high school I had about 20 blouses. Half way though school we where allowed to wear certain khakis and skorts from Lands End during certain times of the year. I got one skort from the kids department.

I recommend to start, 3 shirts, and 1 skirt. If what is the kind of uniform you have.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 AM

153 posts, read 519,723 times
Quote:
I just looked at Lands End website and their uniforms are expensive. Right now I have found the best deal at Target for $9-$10 bottoms and $6 tops. That is why I want buy all I'll need now. The question is do you find you have to replace pieces throught the year or does everything last?.
I had to replace a couple of pairs of pants that got holes in the knee and a shirt with a spaghetti sauce stain that even bleach couldn't get out. I would probably buy 7-8 sets (enough for a week with no laundry and 2-3 extra sets for replacing items). It could be worth it to buy the extra sets now because buying online mid-year seemed to be quite a bit more expensive. However, if your dd has a growth spurt you may need to buy mid year anyway. Do you have a younger child that might be able to use these uniforms if you don't end up using the "extras"?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,838,003 times
Quote:
For the most part things last one school year. They start looking shabby towards the end of the year but most parents just let it go and let them finish the year out with the faded stuff.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:49 AM

15,994 posts, read 20,980,772 times
If your budget is an issue you might consider hitting second hand shops too, or check with the school to see if they have gently used uniforms available. Our school used to do that and lots of parents donated their outgrown stuff. I know I've donated stuff that was practically brand new when my kids went through growth spurts. DS went up three pant sizes one year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting