Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We grew up pretty well-off (in the 80s and 90s), but I don't remember any of our birthday parties or our friends' birthday parties being anything like what is considered 'the norm' these days with kids.

What's with renting out facilities or getting those giant bouncy houses? Hundreds of dollars for food and party favors?

My friends who are parents are always talking about how expensive the parties are...as kids, we'd have a cake, a cooler full of cokes, and then all the kids would run around and play together, swim, play baseball...

My friends say they like renting out the facilities because the mess is not at their house then, but that just kind of seems sad...our homes are no longer a place for family and friends to come celebrate?

Teach me, oh parents of today!!! Tell me that our children aren't going to have to be caught up in this rat race!!!
A lot was also considered the norm in the past.

Guys and short shorts in the 60's or whatever.
Women not having rights to vote or work.
Gladiators.
Dressing like a pilgrim.
Public bath houses.

Things change, different options become available.

If we rejected things changing, I wouldn't be typing this right now and I would be hanging clothes on a line while my 7 children ran barefoot playing with the families sheep.

So what they rent a bouncy house or go somewhere for the birthday party? So what if they don't want to have the party at home?

Some people have small houses, some people don't have enough space, some people live in apartments with little to no yard.

Why can't other people like other things with out being wrong? Why can't people like NICE things without being greedy or whatever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
[/b]

Stan called it..... nearly two years ago!

Pennsylvania girl barred from attending prom without date | Fox News
This is absolutely nothing new. I am in PA as well and AFAIK, mandatory prom dates have been the rule since the 40s.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 AM

I read through this thread and I still think the same way I did 2 years ago. Except for the birthday parties at school thing. I think they should be allowed.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:20 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
What it boils down to is that the parents are throwing elaborate over the top parties for their children REALLY for themselves. To impress their friends, to overcompensate for something they may not be providing their children (affection, quality time, etc), but lets be real. Most of these kids are far too young to ever dream up wanting a party like they are given lately, far too young to understand all the hard work that had to be done to earn the money to spend on such a fiesta and also too young to appreciate it and keep it in the memory bank

Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
What it boils down to is that the parents are throwing elaborate over the top parties for their children REALLY for themselves. To impress their friends, to overcompensate for something they may not be providing their children (affection, quality time, etc), but lets be real. Most of these kids are far too young to ever dream up wanting a party like they are given lately, far too young to understand all the hard work that had to be done to earn the money to spend on such a fiesta and also too young to appreciate it and keep it in the memory bank
I agree. Too many adults trying to outdo each other all in the name of their children. This, however, is not new. It has been going on in some form or another for many many years. The kids couldn't care less.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
OH, and to elaborate. I am not talking 500$ birthday parties as some people have no choice, but to spend a couple hundred on a facility to host party. Nor am I talking about bounce houses.. those you can get here for 75$ for the weekend.

I am talking more the huge blowouts a la Sweet 16 and the bigger parties that are thrown in similar fashion for the very young.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
OH, and to elaborate. I am not talking 500$ birthday parties as some people have no choice, but to spend a couple hundred on a facility to host party. Nor am I talking about bounce houses.. those you can get here for 75$ for the weekend.

I am talking more the huge blowouts a la Sweet 16 and the bigger parties that are thrown in similar fashion for the very young.
I watched Sweet 16.
Those people are loaded to begin with. It's not like middle class mary and mike are throwing a party like that for their kid.
Those families have that money to begin with so I look at it as normal to them.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,235 times
I think I may be over compensating when it comes to pkanning my daughters 1st birthday. But honestly oh well. It makes me feel better and she will have tons of pictures to look at as she gets older. I have toned down ALOT since starting my thread previously, you guys thanfully gave me some GREAT ideas to save money (making her dress, only a few character plates the others plain colors from the $ store, cheap games and so on ) but still I want her to have a big party. (big in the sense of size not expense)

Actually now that I think of it I deserve a freaking party for her turning one. This is a huge deal. From me losing my first born when she was only 3 weeks old to having to deal with the stress of pregnancy and thinking something would go wrong, then delivering my daughter premature in the same hospital my first daughter died in, then the drs telling me she may not make it, then taking her home and NEVER sleeping thinking something would go wrong, then all the drama with her dad, then having to man up and be a single parent and doing it all on my own HECK I DESERVE a party. So why shouldnt parents plan a huge party and spend alot of money this is an accomplishment I never thought I would make it to 2 years ago.

Pat on the back to me !!!!! lol

Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree. Too many adults trying to outdo each other all in the name of their children. This, however, is not new. It has been going on in some form or another for many many years. The kids couldn't care less.
How can you possibly know such a thing?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How can you possibly know such a thing?
She can't and you know that, so why even go through all this?

We all have our own theories.
I half agree with her but I also know by watching Sweet 16 that those families are loaded and well connected, their kids wouldn't expect any less for their birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting