Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Lamar, MO- A young southwest Missouri girl is safe and sound after being trapped inside a running washing machine.

It took two Lamar Police Department officers to rescue her from the locked machine.

Girl Trapped in Washer Survives - FourStatesHomePage.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 11:49 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
I'm glad she survived, but she was pretty dumb to climb inside a washing machine. If she was 2 or even 4, I might expect this, but at 7 she should have known better than to do that.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:30 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
At 7 she should know better, but I am glad she ended up surviving and hopefully she learned a little common sense from the whole situation. I am a little concerned that there was no way to shut off the machine once it locked. She can't possibly be the only child who has ever tried to crawl into a machine.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
She can't possibly be the only child who has ever tried to crawl into a machine.
She's not. This happened years ago at a laundramat in my town. Two young brothers were goofing around. The mother was PAYING NO ATTENTION to them. One pushed the other in the machine and started it up. The fire department had to come and rescue the kid.

When it hit the news the fire department made a plea to everyone to "watch your kids!"

Old 07-25-2010, 05:13 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
I understand that some parents have no choice, and this comment is not directed at them. My momma was one of those who didn't have a choice.

A laundramat is not a playground. It is not child friendly. It's purpose is not to be a playground. Why do you choose (for those who have other options) to bring a child and expect them to sit and watch the washers spin for two or three hours? In this case the child was there with her sister. If the sister can do the laundry, the parents could send her when they were able to stay home with the younger child.

Again, I understand that there are circumstances where a parent has no choice, but in this case, there was another option.

Laundramats are boring for a child. A bored child will get into mischief. Why not bring something to entertain your child while you have to be there. Books, crayons, small dolls, legos... here is a novel idea.. a board game that you play with your child.. have it special for laundry days. Pay attention. Children will make toys out of anything.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
The laundromat near my house has a play area for younger kids; some big plastic building blocks for the real little ones, a play-skool slide thingie on astro-turf, and some Highlights magazines and what I think were Golden Books.

We have our own machines in our house but I still bring the quilts to the laundromat. It's awesome to see that the owner understands that moms have to bring the kids sometimes and provides this accommodation for them. He also accommodates us adults with a free "give and take" bookshelf.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The laundromat near my house has a play area for younger kids; some big plastic building blocks for the real little ones, a play-skool slide thingie on astro-turf, and some Highlights magazines and what I think were Golden Books.

We have our own machines in our house but I still bring the quilts to the laundromat. It's awesome to see that the owner understands that moms have to bring the kids sometimes and provides this accommodation for them. He also accommodates us adults with a free "give and take" bookshelf.

That's a great idea! I remember having to lug my older son to the laundromat once a week to do clothes. Ugh!

I'm glad this little girl is ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting