Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:37 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea7902 View Post
Do they hang out in the backyard where you can't see them? I'm a stay at home mom and I'm out and about while my neighbors are at work. I hang out in my backyard because it's more private and decline invitations to hang out with my neighbors because I don't care to be their friend. When I'm home, I like privacy and the last people I want in my business are the neighbors.
Obviously you are hiding some dark secrets and you don't want anyone else to find out about them. I suggest you turn yourself in to the authorities immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
We have the totally opposite problem. We moved in here 6 years ago. Now, my kids go to parochial school and so dont ride the bus with the kids. But you would think after 6 years they would have one friend here . Nada, not one, nada. My boys are often outside with their friends from school and nobody every comes over to ask if they want to play.
Both my dh and I are friendly, invited a few to a party or two. But thats it. Not one friend at all.

It makes me so sad for my kids that they do not go down the street to play with a friend ; they could easily if they had friends. Everyone works ; i work from home and so am home when my kids come home.

I dont want everlasting friends ; but one or two would be nice. As a result, we will probaby be moving in a year or two.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:04 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
It's not like I'm peering into their windows or staring at them whenever they're outside. If you're referring to the late night driveway pull in, the only reason I saw that was because I was in my office, which faces their house.
You sure claim to know a lot about their comings and goings and how much they do or do not spend outside so I wasn't just referring to the one incident. You said you have been over there also as well as inquiring about the children's school status. Sounds like more than a glance out the window one night.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
You sure claim to know a lot about their comings and goings and how much they do or do not spend outside so I wasn't just referring to the one incident. You said you have been over there also as well as inquiring about the children's school status. Sounds like more than a glance out the window one night.
Nope, just a string of observations I've noticed over the years.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 PM

313 posts, read 406,611 times
this is one problem I see with people now a days. Because someone doesnt act exactly the same as them, they think there is something possible malicious going on with the other person.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 4,743 times
You have been inviting these people to do something every 2 months for the past 4 years and they have never accepted? I would not even answer the door if I was them. I would be VERY irritated and uncomfortable if my neighbor continued to extend social invitations after I had repeatedly declined. "I am busy" means "I don't want to hang out with you". I think you should leave them alone.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia123 View Post
You have been inviting these people to do something every 2 months for the past 4 years and they have never accepted? I would not even answer the door if I was them. I would be VERY irritated and uncomfortable if my neighbor continued to extend social invitations after I had repeatedly declined. "I am busy" means "I don't want to hang out with you". I think you should leave them alone.
I have to agree, maybe they don't want to hurt your feelings and that's why they just say they are busy.

They could also have social anxiety, people do have that sometimes.

As long as no one is getting hurt that you know of, I would go about my own business...waving hello is nice, then go away.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia123 View Post
Sorry if I made that unclear in my post. It's not just me who asks them, that includes the entire neighborhood (not that we show up at the door as a neighborhood, it's more that one person goes and asks). And usually with the freezing WI weather, it's April-September.

But yes, you're probably right. I guess I haven't really thought of walking in THEIR shoes in the situation. And I know that is wrong. As I read these posts, I do understand more that people just don't want to do things. Thanks everyone, for helping me realize that

Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We have the totally opposite problem. We moved in here 6 years ago. Now, my kids go to parochial school and so dont ride the bus with the kids. But you would think after 6 years they would have one friend here . Nada, not one, nada. My boys are often outside with their friends from school and nobody every comes over to ask if they want to play.
Both my dh and I are friendly, invited a few to a party or two. But thats it. Not one friend at all.

It makes me so sad for my kids that they do not go down the street to play with a friend ; they could easily if they had friends. Everyone works ; i work from home and so am home when my kids come home.

I dont want everlasting friends ; but one or two would be nice. As a result, we will probaby be moving in a year or two.
Before you take the drastic step of moving...instead of waiting for your neighbors and their kids to do the inviting, have you ever done it yourself?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Yep, the have two girls- a teenager and a 9 (or so) year old. As far as I know, they're homeschooled. Or they possibly go to a private school further out. I know for a fact they're not enrolled in the public school.
Maybe they are very religious or something. We used to have some neighbors who were Mormon. They never let their kids out of the house to play with the neighborhood kids, and the kids were also homeschooled, because they didn't want outside influences interferring with their kids.

The only reason I knew anything about the family is because my kids at the time were taking the school bus, and the school bus stop is also a city bus stop. The mother didn't have a car, so she took the bus when she had to run errands. We always seemed to be at the bus stop at the same time, me waiting for my kids and her waiting for the bus.

She was actually pretty chatty once we warmed up to each other. She seemed really lonely, like she was relieved to have someone to talk to, and would complain of not having a car, and the fact that she had to leave the kids alone while she shopped because her husband didn't want them out of the house because of all the things that would influence them. You could tell a lot of things about the world bothered her - the way people dressed, the advertisements everywhere, how dirty the streets are, the junk food culture we live in, etc. She would talk openly about everything, so I never felt like she was afraid or had anything to hide. It was just their lifestyle and that was that. They were raising their kids in a "bubble" and trying to shelter them from everything. Whether I thought that was fair to the kids or healthy or not was beside the point, it was their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting