Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times

Advertisements

The worst thing about minivans around here is how badly they drive. Routinely blowing through stop signs, speeding way over the limit, tailgating at dangerously close distance. It's bad enough to drive like that but you're openly advertising the fact that you've got kids in your car and still driving that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
I like my faithful old Voyager. I never imagined it could identify me as any particular type of person. It's just utility transportation. My 400 hp turbo Dodge convertible, on the other hand, identifies me as a silly old man who refuses to grow up. I like it too...

Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I guess I'm the exception. My family owns one car: a ten-year-old luxury sedan. I refuse to be the neighborhood bus driver, and I generally limit my kids to activities that they can reach by foot or bike. If I had my way, I'd be completely car-free, but alas that is nearly impossible today.
Different strokes for different folks. We bought our minivan because I enjoyed being a neighborhood bus driver. Great for taking school field trips or hauling around our girl/boy scout troops, not to mention taking the soccer team to the pizza place after a game. (Does that mean I'm a stereotype?)

Old 12-13-2010, 12:22 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
I hate my minivan on days like today (lots of ice and snow and more forecast every day through the weekend). It just doesn't do a great job of plowing through snow and getting up an icy driveway.

But, I love my minivan in the summer. So easy to pack up all of our suitcases, baby gear, beach chairs, etc. and head to the Cape. Also great for visiting family around the holidays. We must of hauled home 20 Christmas gifts (including ride-on toys) plus all of our usual stuff when we returned from a trip last month.

If money weren't an issue, I'd keep the minivan for road trips, grocery shopping and car pooling situations only and drive a Subaru most of the time.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:28 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
I reluctantly got an Odyssey when #4 was on the way.

None of my kids are old enough to drive and I often need to take all four of them somewhere at the same time (and my husband works a lot and travels for work), so I am not sure how the parent with five kids and no vehicles large enough to hold six passengers does it.

We'd like to get a "crossover" type vehicle when the kids are a little older and all out of carseats, but for now the van works for us.

For the record, I wanted a Jeep Wrangler. A few months back, in the summer, we drove past an elderly couple in one. It was open for the nice weather, and the lady driving had on "old lady" tennis shoes and "old lady" jeans. I told my husband if I ever were to get a Jeep I wanted to do it before I was 70. But more power to them. Beats a Buick!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
For the record, I wanted a Jeep Wrangler. A few months back, in the summer, we drove past an elderly couple in one. It was open for the nice weather, and the lady driving had on "old lady" tennis shoes and "old lady" jeans. I told my husband if I ever were to get a Jeep I wanted to do it before I was 70. But more power to them. Beats a Buick!
Fudge. I drive a 4-WD SUV and I wear "old lady" jeans and tennies. I had no idea I was being stereotyped by the younger folk!! Or was the source of envy.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
LOL. I just don't want to be the 65-yr old lady in a Jeep - like all of those 50 yr old men driving around in the new Mustangs and Chargers that are styled to look like the old muscle cars.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
<raises hand> I do! I do! I want to be a 65 y.o. lady driving a jeep!! With a manual transmission too! Seems to me that's a great time to do it. By that time house is paid for, kids are grown and gone. Perfect time to get the fun stuff I couldn't justify at a younger age....Until then, my little FWD mini SUV will have to suffice (which I really like BTW - more fun than the minivan but the minivans served us well for the times we had one)

LOL at the old guys in Chargers....meh....as long as they're not also wearing gold chains and open neck shirts with their Sans-a-belts pulled up to their chin....

Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
LOL. I just don't want to be the 65-yr old lady in a Jeep - like all of those 50 yr old men driving around in the new Mustangs and Chargers that are styled to look like the old muscle cars.
Hey, my parents bought a V-8 Mustang when they were in their 50s.

You need to see my area. We have a ton of 65-yr old ladies in Jeeps where I live. And 20-yr olds. The roads wash out. When there is a "road". Lots of dirt ruts they call roads so they can charge more in taxes.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
I reluctantly got an Odyssey when #4 was on the way.

None of my kids are old enough to drive and I often need to take all four of them somewhere at the same time (and my husband works a lot and travels for work), so I am not sure how the parent with five kids and no vehicles large enough to hold six passengers does it.

We'd like to get a "crossover" type vehicle when the kids are a little older and all out of carseats, but for now the van works for us.

I use to have a Wrangler prekids. Now I have a Jeep Cherokee. And will get a Wrangler again sometime down the road. Cherokee is not the most pratical w/ little ones who still need help buckling in & there are days that I wish I could hit that button on minivans that allows the door to open & the kids just jump right on in. But I just could not go from Wrangler to minivan; just didn't seem right. We've also had a Civic which got amazing gas mileage & beyond reliable. I loved my Wrangler & it keeps ya young
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting