Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Ok... I don't normally come here but I need some imput.

First off, my situation: I work 2 jobs (1 full-time and the other as I please/need for the family business). My wife is a stay at home mom; we have three kids (ages 10, 8 and 3) and live in a smaller home (about 2000 sq ft.)

The problem is she just cannot keep the house clean. It slowly becomes a wreck as the week progresses and by the time Saturday rolls around it's a disaster. I spend about 4-5 hours cleaning it from top to bottom EVERY Saturday. My wife makes dinner maybe 1/2 of the week and I have to do pretty much all of my own laundry if I want clean clothes.

We've had repeated fights over the issue... she says there is not enough time to do all that mom's have to do and that I should help more. The kids tell me she sleeps in late every morning and watches TV all the time. During school time the kids have really lousy tardy records too.

I feel like I'm getting a raw deal here... How do you get somebody to pull their weight? Am I the problem? Is it really impossible for a homemaker to keep a little house in order?
\

I know that stay at home parents also have a "full time job" however, that job includes keeping up with the house. No she is not a maid, but she is a partner and she is not pulling her load. I am sorry for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I was married to Mr. Perfectionist. Nothing was ever good enough. Finally, I just gave up. I was so depressed, I was practically suicidal. So, I suggest that you work together, as a team, to figure out what is wrong, and how to fix it. Rather than you acting like the "perfect martyr" married to the horrible lazy woman.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
This thread is over a year old. I'm guessing the OP has either dealt with the problem or moved on by now.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Some of the time spent with the kids should be teaching them to pull their weight. Take a look at flylady.com and show it to her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'd suggest something like flylady.com. Not being able to keep house while home is common.
I'd never heard of that site and took a look. It's a little cheesy, but it seems to have some very helpful, encouraging tips for homemakers to organize their time and get on top of the clutter and umpteen little tasks.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:27 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'd never heard of that site and took a look. It's a little cheesy, but it seems to have some very helpful, encouraging tips for homemakers to organize their time and get on top of the clutter and umpteen little tasks.

It is kind of cheesy but the strategies work. I know several stay at home moms who swear by it. It's really about changing habits one at a time until you have it under control as opposed to the usual approach of cleaning the house top to bottom and expecting it to, automatically, stay that way. You need to change the habits that result in it getting messy and that takes time.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
This thread is over a year old. I'm guessing the OP has either dealt with the problem or moved on by now.
I noticed that after I posted. I wonder how things worked out. Personally, I would have her get a job and hire a housekeeper as it doesn't sound like she's cut out to be a stay at home mom.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I noticed that after I posted. I wonder how things worked out. Personally, I would have her get a job and hire a housekeeper as it doesn't sound like she's cut out to be a stay at home mom.
That sounds like a plan! I actually did something similar, though it wasn't b/c I couldn't keep up with the house.

When I took a very heavy-duty PT job, I couldn't get any "help" with the housework from anyone, beyond what they'd already been doing. DH basically drew a line in the sand and said he'd do no more. Kids were younger and not too helpful. I hired a cleaning lady. At least the house stayed clean. I could keep up with laundry, and DH would clean up the kitchen at night.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
If ever I'm feeling lazy with the housework watching an episode or two of Hoarders or How Clean Is Your House? quickly does the trick for me.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
If ever I'm feeling lazy with the housework watching an episode or two of Hoarders or How Clean Is Your House? quickly does the trick for me.
Nothing makes you feel like filling up a big garbage bag with junk - like watching an episode of Hoarders!

So true.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Ok... I don't normally come here but I need some imput.

First off, my situation: I work 2 jobs (1 full-time and the other as I please/need for the family business). My wife is a stay at home mom; we have three kids (ages 10, 8 and 3) and live in a smaller home (about 2000 sq ft.)

The problem is she just cannot keep the house clean. It slowly becomes a wreck as the week progresses and by the time Saturday rolls around it's a disaster. I spend about 4-5 hours cleaning it from top to bottom EVERY Saturday. My wife makes dinner maybe 1/2 of the week and I have to do pretty much all of my own laundry if I want clean clothes.

We've had repeated fights over the issue... she says there is not enough time to do all that mom's have to do and that I should help more. The kids tell me she sleeps in late every morning and watches TV all the time. During school time the kids have really lousy tardy records too.

I feel like I'm getting a raw deal here... How do you get somebody to pull their weight? Am I the problem? Is it really impossible for a homemaker to keep a little house in order?
Depending on the ages of your children, yes...it can be darn tough to keep a house....ESPECIALLY a little house, in order. However...in view of the fact that you have two children in school all day, it seems as if she'd have time to keep the house up. Either she's lazy or she's depressed. Do not discount the fact that she could be terribly depressed....it happens... especially when you're doing the same thing over and over again and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Believe it or not, little houses w/ 5 people living in them can be a fricking nightmare to keep clean. It doesn't take very darn much to mess them up and there's no place to put things away. Sounds like instead of "condemning" your wife (I know you're frustrated), you need to figure out a way of talking to her....find out what's going on. Being "stuck" at home all day can make you feel like sh*t sometimes. A SAHM is pretty damn often under appreciated. Even if you DO work all day, and keep the house up, you get no gratitude, no appreciation and NO pay for your efforts. It isn't as blissful and glorious as you'd think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting