Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:41 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Are "outings to the orchestra" priorities in preschool?

Dang it, mine go to a highly coveted preschool, in a school district that makes everybody sending their kids there feel like the best thing since sliced bread... and "orchestras", music, dance, performing, reciting poetry, etc are clearly not priorities - at an age where they should be; or where these should be all there is.

Now ABC-s....that's a different story. If they could stick some plastic letters into the pregnant woman's vagina to ensure the child gets a REALLY "good start", they would.

Putting aside hysterias associated with modern parenting and corporate society's needs for future easy-to-heard-and-regiment adults, a child's place, fancy family or not, is next to his parents/extended family/close neighbors, until the age of 6-7; all in free, unorganized, non-institutionalized form.

Just because the unnatural has become the norm - does not make it desirable, when all is said and done.
Firstly, 121804 was referring to familial outings to the orchestra, not the preschool's.

Secondly, there are plenty of places where you can bring your children up in the environment you describe. You can live in a commune, or a kibbutz, where ever you'd like. I'm kinda surprised you subject your offspring to the rigors of modern American life, if it's so distasteful to your sensibilities.

I'm trying to prepare my child as best I can for the world I actually live in, not some old world fantasy utopia that doesn't exist on my inner city block, and in my highly undesirable school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 03:01 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
I did not read every single post, so please pardon if this was already covered.

There are many developmental delays that benefit from early intervention. That was not something we had considered, so it was serendipitous that our preschool only hired highly qualified teachers. They saw a pattern in my son's development that concerned them. Thanks to their help and guidance, we were able to get him help at a critical developmental stage. He would not have been able to function in a kindergarten class if we had not started early intervention with him.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If you think preschool is unnecessary and undesirable then why are your kids there? It's been awhile since I've read through this thread so maybe I missed something....
Because everyone else's kids in our area are in one - hence no community, no neighborhood kids to play with outside of preschool.

It is only in this sense that preschool can be ...unnecessarily necessary today. But if my children had a few readily and consistently available playmates in the neighborhood, I can guarantee you they would be playing for free now, with much better results, instead of for n-hundred dollars a month.

Sad - but this is the world we live in.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Because everyone else's kids in our area are in one
And you are judging everyone else for participating in all kinds of things that are part of society? So people should not have children because of population concerns...but YOU have YOURS; people should not have/watch TV and find full lives elsewhere - but YOUR family can differentiate between having a TV on but not watching it; preschools serve no purpose - except for YOUR kids go for the socialization -since no one else is around for playdates....

OK. Now I get it..Much more clear. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:52 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Because everyone else's kids in our area are in one - hence no community, no neighborhood kids to play with outside of preschool.

It is only in this sense that preschool can be ...unnecessarily necessary today. But if my children had a few readily and consistently available playmates in the neighborhood, I can guarantee you they would be playing for free now, with much better results, instead of for n-hundred dollars a month.

Sad - but this is the world we live in.

No, this is the world you live in, and you chose to do so. Why did you pick a neighborhood that is bereft of playmates for your children? Why do you live somewhere where there's no sense of community? In my neighborhood you can't walk two blocks without tripping over a playground with kids playing in it, that are able and happy to play with my daughter, freely and for free. There are free community festivals in every park within a mile just about every weekend. There are kids playing spontaneous games of football and basketball everywhere.

Why don't you find a better neighborhood for your family? Why do you participate in activities (such as preschool) that give (according to you) sub par results? Why is it you live where you live, if it's so detrimental to your children's development and well being?

Old 08-20-2010, 03:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
I did not read every single post, so please pardon if this was already covered.

There are many developmental delays that benefit from early intervention. That was not something we had considered, so it was serendipitous that our preschool only hired highly qualified teachers. They saw a pattern in my son's development that concerned them. Thanks to their help and guidance, we were able to get him help at a critical developmental stage. He would not have been able to function in a kindergarten class if we had not started early intervention with him.
It is true that preschool teachers are often the ones who first spot delays because they come into contact with so many other children. Most children, however, are still fine without it. Most children do not require interventions as they fall within the normal range for skills.

Even for children who need early intervention, it is not true that this *must* happen before children are 3 to 5. That is mostly a myth. Adults who have strokes can have their brains retrained. Children who are 6 or 7 before they get intervention are not lost causes either.

That is not to say that early intervention is bad. My grandson has been in various therapies since he was 18 months old and is making fantastic progress.

Dorothy

Old 08-20-2010, 04:57 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It is true that preschool teachers are often the ones who first spot delays because they come into contact with so many other children. Most children, however, are still fine without it. Most children do not require interventions as they fall within the normal range for skills.

Even for children who need early intervention, it is not true that this *must* happen before children are 3 to 5. That is mostly a myth. Adults who have strokes can have their brains retrained. Children who are 6 or 7 before they get intervention are not lost causes either.

That is not to say that early intervention is bad. My grandson has been in various therapies since he was 18 months old and is making fantastic progress.

Dorothy
Early intervention may not be a "must" in your book, but it is well proven that during period of extreme brain development (such as the preschool age) it can have huge impacts and prevent future problems. I, nor anyone here, claimed that failing to catch a problem meant the child was a lost cause. Not sure where your insinuation I stated otherwise came from at all.

My point is that catching a problem was just one more benefit for preschool that some people may not think about. Not sure what your point is.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And you are judging everyone else for participating in all kinds of things that are part of society? So people should not have children because of population concerns...but YOU have YOURS; people should not have/watch TV and find full lives elsewhere - but YOUR family can differentiate between having a TV on but not watching it; preschools serve no purpose - except for YOUR kids go for the socialization -since no one else is around for playdates....

OK. Now I get it..Much more clear. Thanks.
You must have smoked something ...or have difficulty with processing nuance in any argument.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
You must have smoked something ...or have difficulty with processing nuance in any argument.
I understood it...

Old 08-20-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No, this is the world you live in, and you chose to do so. Why did you pick a neighborhood that is bereft of playmates for your children? Why do you live somewhere where there's no sense of community? In my neighborhood you can't walk two blocks without tripping over a playground with kids playing in it, that are able and happy to play with my daughter, freely and for free. There are free community festivals in every park within a mile just about every weekend. There are kids playing spontaneous games of football and basketball everywhere.

Why don't you find a better neighborhood for your family? Why do you participate in activities (such as preschool) that give (according to you) sub par results? Why is it you live where you live, if it's so detrimental to your children's development and well being?
So there are dozens of volumes talking about the collapse of community in middle-class American neighborhoods, but you somehow know different, and pretend that if you found some mysterious Utopia (which nobody is able to verify anyway), you have the right to get all self-righteous and belittle those who fail to find such pastoral quaint communities in 21st century US. Oh, I am so impressed, you just about knocked me over.

FACT: America is dripping with sleepy, quiet, neighborhoods in which a
sense of isolation and obsession with privacy reign supreme.

I have visited tons of suburbs with so-called good schools in many states in the US and they are all the same: treated with Sarin gas. Children are dragged into 1000 types of organized activities, indoors, away, somewhere, but they are nowhere close to playing freely with neighborhood kids in the yard, while moms get some household work done in the house. After all, why would they - as nobody's cooking or cleaning their own house anymore.
There's hovering over, and hauling to do with Jr.

Yes, there may be a sense of community left in certain 'hoods and lower income areas. Unfortunately, schools in such areas are generally bad and sadly, we cannot go that route either.

So kindly save some self-righteousness and stop pretending you have all answers and all solutions in hand. You don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting