Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:11 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Flip flops are unsafe for school. Kids have to walk in crowded schools, and cover lots of ground in order to make to class without being tardy.

You are correct that nobody measures how far your pants are up your waist, however it is common for school dress codes to require that your underwear be COMPLETELY covered by your pants, while standing AND while sitting. I strictly enforce dress codes in my classes when I am teaching.
My underwear was always completely covered, they never showed above my jeans and my jeans were and still are LOW.
I can run in flip flops, dead sprint in them and keep them on. I had no issue walking around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
That would be incorrect. I have accountant and investment banker friends who are required to wear suits every single day. That includes hosiery for women if you chose a skirt suit.

When I worked at the radio station you could were anything above sweatpants. I wore flip flops every day.
They get to choose the brand of the suit, the color of the suit, the shirt they wear underneath, the color of their tie.
And since when did guys in suits not look really hot?

Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
They get to choose the brand of the suit, the color of the suit, the shirt they wear underneath, the color of their tie.
And since when did guys in suits not look really hot?
Still you where making the argument that you would never have a dress code like at school. I proved your argument wrong

If anything dress codes in school are more lax than dress codes at a corporate type office.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:28 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
My underwear was always completely covered, they never showed above my jeans and my jeans were and still are LOW.
I can run in flip flops, dead sprint in them and keep them on. I had no issue walking around.
In a school of 5,000 students it is unsafe to have kids walking around in flip flops. All you need is one kid to step on the back of another kid's shoe and you have a kid with a concussion. It's even worse if it happens on the stairs and the student causes other kids to fall on the stairs. It's a safety issue. They are not permitted in any middle/high school around here and I am surprised they are permitted anywhere.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:38 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
In a school of 5,000 students it is unsafe to have kids walking around in flip flops. All you need is one kid to step on the back of another kid's shoe and you have a kid with a concussion. It's even worse if it happens on the stairs and the student causes other kids to fall on the stairs. It's a safety issue. They are not permitted in any middle/high school around here and I am surprised they are permitted anywhere.
They're permitted around here, but my kids don't really like wearing them to school. Many times, kids step on the back of one's flip flop (on accident..it's hard not to in a crowded hallway) and there goes that kid's flip flop. And you can't really turn around and go back after it.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Yeah my schools were never that big nor that crowded.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:41 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:

I do agree that flip flops shouldn't be allowed in school, but that is a rather stupid reason. I live in a city of 8 million people and I still manage to wear flop flops up and down the subway steps and i wear them to commute and change into my heels at work.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:43 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,635 times
SuzyQ123, your list does seem a little long. And with how much clothes and shoes cost nowadays, it can get pretty expensive really quickly when shopping at the mall.

IMO, it would probably be better if you went clothes shopping throughout the year, since the young girl is still growing. Plus, if her weight fluctuates throughout the year, you can better pick out clothes for her with this shopping method. Try to pick up some clothes (just a few new tops & bottoms, socks) and couple pairs of shoes/flats suited for the post-summer/pre-winter weather for the beginning of the school year.

Just a suggestion!

Old 08-01-2010, 06:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Flip flops are unsafe for school. Kids have to walk in crowded schools, and cover lots of ground in order to make to class without being tardy.

You are correct that nobody measures how far your pants are up your waist, however it is common for school dress codes to require that your underwear be COMPLETELY covered by your pants, while standing AND while sitting. I strictly enforce dress codes in my classes when I am teaching.
Flip flops are allowed in our schools however I don't like my DD to wear them but she does. Last fall she was walking down the hall talking to a friend, the kid in front of her stopped, she didn't see him, kicked the back of his shoe, broke her toe RIGHT before a HUGE marching band competition. This spring she was walking in a classroom, kicked someone's backpack on the floor, broke her toe on the day of section finals to go to the STATE golf tournament. We will see what she does this year for shoes.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Was she naked and barefoot the day before yesterday? Didn't she already own at least a few perfectly good pairs of underwear and socks in good condition? Did she not take care of the backpack she had last year? And why two pairs of flip flops? Summer's almost over; surely she has at least one pair in useable condition still? FOUR pairs of jeans? Do you really expect her to get that filthy that you'd need four pairs of jeans? I mean, unless she rides a horse to school or something...
I'd get her two bras. She'll probably outgrow them before the winter but she'll need to wear one pair while the other is in the wash.
A "bunch" of tops? Eh. The weather won't change so drastically between now and a month from now that most of the tops she already owns won't be fine. I'd definitely get her a few new ones.

In short, your daughter doesn't need a new wardrobe. She just needs a few of pieces to augment what she already has. I'd have her toss the dingiest of last year's undies and socks, and let her pick out a 3-pack of each. I'm just having a really hard time imagining a middle-school girl being THAT disgusting that her current wardrobe isn't at least in wearable condition, tha would make you think you need to buy a whole new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting