Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:47 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

He and Huck would be diagnosed with all kinds of disorders

Reread Huckleberry Finn today, and just try to keep track of the disorders Huck and Tom Sawyer would be diagnosed with as kids today: oppositional defiant disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and conduct disorder right off the bat, writes Anne Applebaum in the Washington Post. It's "weirdly reassuring," in a way—"a certain kind of boy has always had trouble paying attention in school.

Read more: Today's Tom Sawyer Would Be Medicated - He and Huck would be diagnosed with all kinds of disorders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
...not to mention that they'd also be labelled as homosexuals!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
:nodding: Boys are not allowed to be boys anymore.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,042 times
Quote:
"Instead of striking out into the wilderness like Huck Finn, they get sent to psychologists and prescribed medication—if they are lucky enough to have parents who can afford that sort of thing. Every effort will rightly be made to help them pay attention, listen to the teacher, stop picking fights in the playground. Nowadays, there aren't any other options."
There are plenty of options. The problem is, adults expect kids to be small adults instead of kids. It's a bother to have kids who have excess energy; here let's give him something to calm down the natural soul.

I think it started in schools. Teachers don't want to be bothered with anyone who doesn't sit all day with their hands folded on their desk.

And society is getting worse, not better.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:31 AM

830 posts, read 2,713,211 times
Quote:
I think it started in schools. Teachers don't want to be bothered with anyone who doesn't sit all day with their hands folded on their desk.
Yep, that's me.

Actually, to my knowledge I've had only one child in my class on meds - some days - for behavioral purposes, a first grader. I didn't suggest it, she was on it before she started. Tom Sawyer's and Huckleberry Finn's behaviors pale in comparison to what hers were.

As a matter of fact, so do pretty much all of the kids I've taught (who are not diagnosed and/or medicated with anything) who have behavior issues. I don't recall either of those two boys trying to gouge other students eyes during class, do you?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 AM

613 posts, read 992,084 times
My daughters 1st grade teacher suggested my dd had ADHD and kept stressing to me that my dd had attention problems, as if I didn't understand what she was driving at. I did ignore her because I knew it was absurd and sure enough she's fine, honor roll every marking period.

My youngest son needed speech when he was younger and so was exposed to teachers, therapists and psychologists throughout his preschool years. It would take a novel for me to describe the lenghts these people went to to pressure me to have my son diagnosed with autism. I can see where many parents would buckle under the pressure. I had to withdraw him from special education and spend a lot of money to prove to them he was not autistic! And guess what! He too is fine today!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
And those straw hats would be replaced with helmets.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
There are plenty of options. The problem is, adults expect kids to be small adults instead of kids. It's a bother to have kids who have excess energy; here let's give him something to calm down the natural soul.

And society is getting worse, not better.
Have to agree. So much emphasis is placed on obedience and conformity that most kids end up being beaten into whatever mold their teachers and doctors think they should fit in. We no longer embrace differences and headstrong personalities, especially in kids. My MIL constantly reminds my wife and I to never break our kids spirit. I never realized what she meant until my son started school and you can just see the glazed look some of the kids have.

One day we'll turn around and wonder where all of our inventors, artists, adventurers and heroes went. Then we'll realize we labelled them and medicated them until they were just like everyone else.

Last edited by NJGOAT; 08-11-2010 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
I am so tired of the tendency nowadays to medicate kids....aren't people allowed to have differing personalities without being labeled with some bogus disorder and given meds so they can fall in line like a zombie?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
I posted this as a response to a C-D blog a week or so ago, but I'm going to re-post it here in light of the discussion.

Quote:
As a parent of a child with ADHD, I must disagree with your notion that medicated kids are spaced out. Quite the contrary. ADHD drugs have been very effective at bolstering the executive control my son lacks while allowing his naturally exuberant and charming personality to shine through, in a way that physical activity and behavior therapy alone never could.

My spouse and I were devastated the day we started our son on Concerta. By the end of the week, we were furious at ourselves for allowing him to suffer for so long. He is a happy, productive, healthy, and physically-active boy today, because stimulant medication allows him to focus and fulfill his God-given potential.

Please stop perpetuating the myth that kids with ADHD will get better if only someone would send them outside or put paddle to their behinds. Medication, when warranted, is a true blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting