Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:27 AM

24 posts, read 112,499 times

Advertisements

i didnt ask to be judge for being a single mom...it is what it is...i just want a change for me and the children. I live in atlanta now the school system is horrible. Nothing to do and there are no resources here for the single mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 10:48 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,297 times
I did not judge you for being a single parent, I was one my self.
Stay right where you are, go back to school learn a well paying skill then move. You can get loans to go to school. Pursue child support. Unfortunately you should have had the education, picked the father better and now you would not be in this situation.
Many parents support thier children without any government help, you can too.
I am sure Atlanta has the same programs that other big cities have, you just have to look.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Quote:
Alexander59: Many parents support thier children without any government help, you can too.
I am sure Atlanta has the same programs that other big cities have, you just have to look.
Alexander, I usually don't agree with your posts and find your posts judgemental. However, in this case, I do agree -- that the programs in Atlanta are most likely similar to other big cities. Most are federal programs, and are based on federal income levels. The South, having a lower cost of living, would probably actually be better for a single parent, rather than a state with a higher cost of living.

With three kids, it is going to be difficult no matter where you live. To think otherwise, is foolhardy. I am a single (divorced) parent, too. It is always a struggle. However, I do work two jobs, and I have managed to raise a wonderful daughter. It has been a multitude of work, but she is my child, and I have raised her in the best way I could, and have sacrificed a lot to give her a decent life, and to be sure that she has good values, good grades, and a chance for a good future. It has not been easy.

Maybe you are stressed and fantasizing about another place that would be "better," when in reality, it won't be. You already have things in place there, including doctors, dentists, schools, people you know .... you'd have to start all over again with those. That is stress right there.

I would suggest you search out your immediate area and see what else there is. Join a support group, call the United Way for referrals for groups, people, services, etc. -- they can geer you in the right direction.

Having three children is going to be stressful no matter which way you look at it. Go to a used bookstore and find some positive thinking books (I'm serious because when you're a single parent and you're so stressed, sometimes it helps to hear how your attitude and thoughts can affect you and can motivate you to try differently).

I understand the appeal of a place far away that might be "better," however, I think it is an illusion. Focus on raising your children, find yourself a group that gives you support and in which your children can also mingle with other kids. The stress of moving, starting over, finding services, the appointments, the new schools, all of that -- now that would be stressful!

It's a rough road being a single parent but you can do it. Plan carefully, map things out for your family, guide each child individually, and I know there are counseling services that are free or a sliding scale (again, call United Way for referrals in many areas of need), and get yourself emotionally back on track.

Good luck to you!!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:29 PM

I agree also, moving is not only expensive it is very stressful.
I am not judgemental at all, nor am I religious, I am realistic.
Being realistic means my daughters support themselves and if my youngest decided to have kids she would be able to support them by herself.

Last edited by alexander59; 06-25-2007 at 12:43 PM..

Old 06-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Wisteria thanks for the advice...I can see you understand what single moms go through. I probably just need a vacation and maybe that will be my booster. I really really want to move though. Its not a dream it is the truth. But I will plan carefully and give it serious thought. I have a very good job here in atlanta but its very stressful. I am very dependent and have NEVER recieved any kind of assistance although I think I should. Not justifying but I feel kind of trap....but I will give your advice some serious thought wisteria...thanks a lot

Old 06-25-2007, 03:10 PM

alexander59, im not moving to recvd government assistance...i have never recvd it and would never recvd it. I think its a terrible influence on my children. My children know that their mom is a hardworker so where I go I will have to continue to support my kids on a middleclass scale. I just want a more children friendly environment and change. But I also want to make a decent living in the process. More parks,cooler weather, ocean...just a change...for the better.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 PM

You have my utmost apologies, I should have went back and read your other posts before I answered you.
I do not know the age of your children or what kind of family you would be leaving or what kind of money you have to move on.
Coming from Georgia, to a cold climate may be a little to harsh, but the thing I should have done is take a friend and go to Alaska, the reason for a friend is to help each other for a few months, sounds crazy but its the thing that I most regret that I didn't at least try my dream.
If your children are young its a thought.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:22 PM

no thats okay..I appreciate your honesty...but I will be relocating...i heard that portland, oregon was a good place to raise children. Any feedback?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting