Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:48 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We just can't stand cheap socks or underwear in this house. I'm frugal in many ways, but for some things I don't mind spending a bit more for quality. If we have to do dept. store socks or underwear, I try to find the Jockey brand. Costco often has good socks. There's nothing worse than cheap underwear. We splurge a bit on shoes, too. Brooks or New Balance running shoes and good quality leather shoes (like Clarks) for dress shoes. We like REI and Patagonia for cold-weather gear and summer recreation gear.
There is just nothing more foolish than spending for the highest quality underwear, socks, and clothing for growing kids. They are lucky if they get a whole school year out of their clothing anyway the way they grow.

I'm partial to LL Bean and Land's End. Started putting my kids in Land's End sneakers 13 years ago and the last just past being outgrown. Things from both places work for hand-me-down play clothes for younger siblings.

Both still have their LL Bean backpacks I bought for them 12 years ago. After going through a couple years of school, they have been knocked around a lot of other places and still are very useful.

I could suggest Rugged Bear. They wear like iron and last forever, but are terribly expensive. Kids never stay kids long enough to make a dent in wearing them out. Senseless. My daughter had two Rugged Bear coats I found at thrift stores and wore them until she couldn't, passed them on, now they have been passed on again. They last forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
There is just nothing more foolish than spending for the highest quality underwear, socks, and clothing for growing kids. They are lucky if they get a whole school year out of their clothing anyway the way they grow.
Everyone has their preferences. Just because it's not your preference doesn't mean that it's foolish. For example, top quality shoes are a MUST for my family because my children both have flat feet. Like haggardhouseelf, my family prefers top quality underwear and socks too. Soft materials with durable, comfortable seams have always been a priority here. Fit is vital too. It's great if you can't feel the difference, but my family can most certainly feel the difference. Some people have more sensitive skin than other people. If something drives another person insane, it's not foolish. When I was a child, I remember having a shirt or two that itched like crazy due to poor construction and materials. It's misery. I would never do that to my children. If your children don't have sensitive skin, you are fortunate, not less foolish.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I buy mostly Gymboree and The Children's Place clothing for my 7 year old. Also LLBean and Lands End, and he loves Sketchers shoes. For underwear and pajamas though, I generally shop at Walmart.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
JC Penney, Kohl's, Target, Walmart

Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 AM

821 posts, read 2,037,670 times
I shop at Childrens Place, Target and small downtown stores for the kids for that age group.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM

While at a party not long ago, someone said that while shopping in Walmart their child recognized pants that a classmate always wears. The mother of that child looked horrified that those of us standing there would know she shopped at Walmart (I don't care WHERE she shops.) and quickly said, "I have to buy what she will wear and those are the only pants she'll wear." Her daughter was going through a tomboy stage in second grade and was very hard on clothes.

For some reason, some of the women there, as she was afraid of, thought less of her for shopping at Walmart. What idiots.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Everyone has their preferences. Just because it's not your preference doesn't mean that it's foolish. For example, top quality shoes are a MUST for my family because my children both have flat feet. Like haggardhouseelf, my family prefers top quality underwear and socks too. Soft materials with durable, comfortable seams have always been a priority here. Fit is vital too. It's great if you can't feel the difference, but my family can most certainly feel the difference. Some people have more sensitive skin than other people. If something drives another person insane, it's not foolish. When I was a child, I remember having a shirt or two that itched like crazy due to poor construction and materials. It's misery. I would never do that to my children. If your children don't have sensitive skin, you are fortunate, not less foolish.
I think that the kid most likely don't give a damn if it says jockey on his underwear. It is more likely the parents own thing.
But, maybe you all have sensitive skin and if Jockey can take care of that that's great!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:07 PM

841 posts, read 4,838,640 times
You guys are awesome! Thanks for giving such detailed responses. I forgot about Kohl's. We shop there for winter sweaters and Levi's jeans, as well as socks. I'll be on the lookout for some others that you've mentioned.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think that the kid most likely don't give a damn if it says jockey on his underwear. It is more likely the parents own thing.
But, maybe you all have sensitive skin and if Jockey can take care of that that's great!

Meh. I think it's just as dismissive and haughty to suggest that there is no possible way that some brand names are better made than generic.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Why don't they just wrap their little behinds in cotton batting and have them sleep on a cloud. Fabric is just too harsh on their sensitive skin, and everyone knows you can't buy anything soft at Target or Kohl's.

And about the shoes; must be they aren't allowed Crocs or sandals in summer months or God forbid, a pair of flipflops. Poor kids.

I think all that 'quality' crap is so the parents can impress other parents on how much money they spend on their kids. Other parents are probably thinking what idiots for spending so much on kid's clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting