Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 07:57 AM

848 posts, read 1,949,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

I saw a TV on ABC a while ago ( I believe ) about the so called "quiverfull movement" and by the time it was over I wanted to puke.
I watched that show also, with morbid fascination. Same thing with another show on "Jesus Camp" or something like that. It's like watching a cult on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:21 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,852,082 times
Quote:
They are teaching their daughters to be "housewives" while the sons will most likely end up getting an education and having a career.

Unfortunately a lot of religious people believe that is how it should be: the woman stays home and breeds until her body cannot take it anymore and the man works outside the home and is treated like a king.

I saw a TV on ABC a while ago ( I believe ) about the so called "quiverfull movement" and by the time it was over I wanted to puke.

One of the families had 6 or 7 children. The father said the boys were going to college but the girls were not because they came into this world to be mothers and that's it. "Because the bible says so".

I don't get these people.

The Duggars need to stop having children. Please don't tell me God wants you to pop out as many kids as possible. Her body clearly cannot take it anymore ( judging by how complicated her last pregnancy was. )

I think this whole thing is ridiculous. ( Just MY opinion )

They should read william devers book "did god have a wife" for a real eye opener =D.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:03 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,667,461 times
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the actual documentary. However, I found the article where the father, Ken Carpenter talks about how he sees men and women's roles:

( When Having Kids is a Religious Experience - ABC News )

Oh Nevermind, here is the video : http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video?id=2769639

"There is a mindset and worldview that's taught on a college campus that is in conflict with the scripture we read this morning," he said.

The Carpenter children are home-schooled. Ken Carpenter hopes his sons find professions and that his daughters learn to be mothers. He believes that it is a woman's primary function to become a mother. And a father's primary function?

"I think a dad ought to be the primary instiller of wisdom and ought to be teaching his sons leadership," he said.

I think this whole thing is ridiculous ( for lack of a better word )

These folks are also part of the "Quiverfull Movement".

I just feel so bad for the girls because they don't have a choice. Their parents will control them and they most likely will never be their own person.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the actual documentary. However, I found the article where the father, Ken Carpenter talks about how he sees men and women's roles:

Oh Nevermind, here is the video : Be Fruitful and Multiply - ABC News

"There is a mindset and worldview that's taught on a college campus that is in conflict with the scripture we read this morning," he said.

The Carpenter children are home-schooled. Ken Carpenter hopes his sons find professions and that his daughters learn to be mothers. He believes that it is a woman's primary function to become a mother. And a father's primary function?

"I think a dad ought to be the primary instiller of wisdom and ought to be teaching his sons leadership," he said.

I just feel so bad for the girls because they don't have a choice. Their parents will control them and they most likely will never be their own person.

Sometimes, but often if the children tend to cut off ties as they get older. My aunt is a baptist and her daughters have nothing to do with her.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Sometimes, but often if the children tend to cut off ties as they get older. My aunt is a baptist and her daughters have nothing to do with her.
I hope that is the case with these children. ( The ones from ABC ). I hate it how when asked about his daughters' future all he can say is that he "doesn't have all the answers and their highest calling is motherhood."

This is just awful awful awful! I hope these kids ( as well as the Duggars ) have the opportunity to become whatever they want to be when they get older. They should be able to have choices...not be forced to live how their parents want them to live.

PS: The wife sounds like she's been so brainwashed! It's just awful....OMG.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I hope that is the case with these children. ( The ones from ABC ). I hate it how when asked about his daughters' future all he can say is that he "doesn't have all the answers and their highest calling is motherhood."

This is just awful awful awful! I hope these kids ( as well as the Duggars ) have the opportunity to become whatever they want to be when they get other. They should be able to have choices...not be forced to live how their parents want them to live.

The wife sounds like she's been so brainwashed! It's just awful....OMG.

I know it's awful...it sounds like the edition of wife swap where the one woman believes serving the men in her life is her only duty. She said if her husband isnt home the 10 year old is the boss, if he is gone the 5 year old, and if he is gone the dog is. Sheesh what a nice bit of self esteem she must have for herself. Her boy actually would correct her when he felt she did things wrong. I would love my boy to try to correct me :-P.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Little Josie, from what I understand, is the first Duggar child to have had any major complications. That's pretty impressive after all those kids.
If I were them, I would take that as a sign from nature that maybe it's time to stop...
No, she had a miscarriage after her first. She believed the miscarriage was due to her practicing birth control, so they decided they would no longer use any birth control. Three of the births have been c-sections.

I believe her doctors thought she should not get pregnant again after the first set of twins, but I can't find any stories about it.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,072,665 times
Quote:

Oh Nevermind, here is the video : Be Fruitful and Multiply - ABC News

Why is it ridiculous to believe that women are supposed to be mothers?

Old 09-05-2010, 04:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Some women are simply not cut out to be mothers. Women can do more than be mothers and wives so to limit them to being mothers is what is ridiculous.

Dorothy

Old 09-05-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
What is ridiculous is ONLY expecting them to be pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen...expecting them to not have a career or an education. That's what p*ssed me off.

The father clearly stated that his daughters will never set foot in a college campus. He is not even giving them the choice to choose what they want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting