Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 05:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
It's not, but it is ridiculous to believe women should be allowed to be nothing but mothers also.
If you watch the more recent episodes, the older girls are thinking about careers. They know the have options, no matter what other people like to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 05:47 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
Even parents of twins get discounts, all the major baby stores give you a discount when buying two of everything.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:14 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Is she pregnant again or is her DIL pregnant. I saw a previous on TLC and the duggar woman announced that someone was expecting. Maybe its Jimbob????

Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
If you watch the more recent episodes, the older girls are thinking about careers. They know the have options, no matter what other people like to say.
I have but i have also read they feel trapped too so who is to say. I know often ultra religious families like this will push the idea of their girls having careers onto the backburner.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:04 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Quote:
I have but i have also read they feel trapped too so who is to say. I know often ultra religious families like this will push the idea of their girls having careers onto the backburner.
I know a family who is very, VERY religious and they homeschooled their 4 boys and daughter up to high school.

The boys learned math, history, science, all sorts of stuff. The daughter learned how to cook and bake bread. The mother insisted she could do whatever she wanted to do with her life, but she needed to know how to be a good wife and mother first.

The oldest boy is now in the Navy. The younger boys are very into math. The daughter knows how to bake one mean loaf of bread.

They are the only religious homeschoolers I had ever known. All others have not been religious at all and the girls have gone or are going into things like politics, medicine, teaching, business, etc..

Old 09-12-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I know a family who is very, VERY religious and they homeschooled their 4 boys and daughter up to high school.

The boys learned math, history, science, all sorts of stuff. The daughter learned how to cook and bake bread. The mother insisted she could do whatever she wanted to do with her life, but she needed to know how to be a good wife and mother first.

The oldest boy is now in the Navy. The younger boys are very into math. The daughter knows how to bake one mean loaf of bread.

They are the only religious homeschoolers I had ever known. All others have not been religious at all and the girls have gone or are going into things like politics, medicine, teaching, business, etc..
You can't compare that to the Duggars, though. We know what curriculum they use, and that includes all the normal subjects. The girls are learning just as much as the boys.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You can't compare that to the Duggars, though. We know what curriculum they use, and that includes all the normal subjects. The girls are learning just as much as the boys.

We don't know really because we aren't there.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post

poor girl.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:52 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Sure they look happy! They don't know any different. There is no such thing as having a choice in that house it seems.
I agree. All the girls in the house are expected to marry and have childern. They are never encouraged to go to college.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
We don't know really because we aren't there.
Oh please, it's common knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting