Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:05 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Credit goes to kahskye! I just agreed....
You're sweet, but you brought up the pictures. That is really important. I was the 3rd child and my parents did take alot of pictures of me, but mom never did finish my baby book like she did my brother & sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 04:04 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Credit goes to kahskye! I just agreed....
Oh! Ooops! Sorry! Yes! What kahskye said!

Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,179 times
My girls birthdays are the 14th and 19th of the same month. For years we had a joint family bd party. When they got older I decided to take them and 1 friend each to the Renaissance Faire in our community. They have fun, we have fun, everyone is happy. If they are raised that way no one will be the wiser. Just do it.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:14 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
I don't do a big party with my daughter every year. Depending on your view, you could have a big friends party at certain ages, say 7, 10, 16, etc.. Whatever. That way, each child will get a special party with their friends even though they may need to wait for his/her turn. On the "off" years, each child can have a special family party, cake, special dinner, etc...

But that is just my opinion.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:27 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I just didn't want the kids to feel bad. but then I thought they are too young to understand or even want their own special day. I think when they are older lI will do separate parties as it could effect their self-esteem if they don't get their own day. I was also thinking of the guests. I wouldn't want to have to cancel all my plans for 2 weekends in one month in order to go to 2 separate parties.
My daughter will be 3 and her sister will be 1. The first party is a big thing and hopefully it won't be a bad thing to combine them. I should have mentioned this in the first post.
There are a million other things you as a parent do everyday that have much more impact on your childs self esteem.

The first party does not have to be a big thing to be a special thing. Our children's first parties were always just us plus grandparents. Just go with what works for your family.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:47 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
Party Party Party.
Why combine them.
You have excuses for two parties.
esp when first birthdays are really for adults.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:07 PM

91 posts, read 168,868 times
I have no kids so take my advice for what it is worth.

First i would say make sure you are throwing the party for your kids and not to look good in front of the other parents.

Than I would ask the kids. Mostly your three year old. you can even lead the child toward the answer you want. "do you want a BIG party with a pinata that you and your brother/sister will share or do you just want to have a little party that is all your own? "

Hope this helps

Austin

Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
I vote for the one party, separate small cake for the 1 y.o.

My boys' b-days are two weeks apart. I did a separate one for my 3 y.o. last year because he never had his own party (1st one he shared it with grandpa, 2nd one we had a small dinner with friends and he shared it with daddy--yes, everyone is born in October!!!). But two parties was stressful! And expensive. From now until they are done with parties, it will be one party. They will each get their present from us on their actual birthday, along with their favorite meal, but just one party!

Combined parties are more fun--more kids, more hijinks. We just hosted a party here and two moms were talking about combining their daughters birthday parties, even though they are even related. It is a small town, the birthdays are close together, and they are friends. Why not?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Two of my kids have birthdays within 2 weeks of each other. Is it ok to just do one big party or do I really need to have 1 birthday party and then a second one 2 weeks later. I am planning to invite about 20 people.
I am leaning towards just doing one party and when they are old enough to understand/remember thier party do separate parties.
Not sure what to do.
My kids will be 3 and 1. I know the first birthday is a big deal and I hope its ok to combine them. I was also just going to do 1 cake for both.

At this age you can get away with one big party for sure, though I would recommend you consider two smaller cakes instead of one big one so the 3 year old has her own - it might really matter to her.

As they get older you're going to have to bite the bullet and do separate parties I think

Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
My sister has twins. When they were younger they had combined family and friend birthday parties.

As soon as they started making different friends (around kindergarten) my sister started giving them separate friend parties, but she still has a combined family party. My nieces seem happy with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting