Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 PM

264 posts, read 854,823 times

Advertisements

My 3rd grader brought home her first "F" today.
I am in total shock. She is an "A/B" student and this bad grade
was in spelling, which she had all "A's" and one "B" on this year's
report card. The rest of the report card was "A's/B's".
I had a conference with her teacher on the Tuesday after
Memorial Day and I was told that she had no complaints from
my daughter and that she is doing great in class.
I am soooo mad and disappointed.
I don't know what kind of punishment to give,
and I don't even know what to say when I call the school
tomorrow.
I don't understand why the teacher didn't say anything at the
conference to indicate that something was wrong. Do I even call the
teacher or do I speak to the principal?
I am in so much shock over this that I don't know
what to do. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 08:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
First off, be calm. It's 3rd grade - it's not keeping her out of college. It could be a mistake - it happens. I would be non- confrontational and just explain that you don't understand the grade in light of your recent conference. Allow the teacher to explain. It could be something very simple. Wait to see what is going on before getting all worked up over it. Definitely go to the teacher. Do not get the principal involved at this point.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM

An "F" is unacceptable for me regardless of what grade, especially when the previous grades were all "A's" and 1 "B". Something somewhere is wrong, and for some reason I wasn't made aware of it.
I see this teacher 3 times a week and she didn't mention anything. 2 1/2 weeks ago at the conference, everything was great. If it is a mistake then of course, it is a mistake. That would be the simplest thing.
I don't know how an "F" on a handwritten report card goes so unnoticed.
I think that if things at school changed so drastically, I should have been made aware of it before this happened.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Yes, of course you should have but give her a chance to explain before you go charging in there. Things tend to go better for everyone when the situation is calmly discussed rather than furiously addressed. You have a valid question. Go in there like a rational adult is all I'm saying.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,283,111 times
Hopefully this is just a mistake especially since you recently had a conference with the teacher.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:23 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times
Ask your daughter what's up, then get the truth from the teacher.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:23 PM

To clarify, I wasn't inferring that an "F" was acceptable, but rather that until you know what is going on, it's a little early to be talking about punishment etc. All I meant was to breathe first.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 PM

I hope it is a mistake too.
My mind is stuck on "what if it isn't..."
I am thinking about setting up a meeting with her and my daughter also to see if maybe there is
something that can be done to fix this.
Also, in case it isn't a mistake...I suck at punishment too. Not only can I not think of one, but it seems like both my daughter and the teacher screwed up somewhere. I know I haven't been as focused on school this last month b/c of some pregnancy related issues, but I wasn't that out of the loop, and all the rest of her grades were great, as were her EOG's and some other test they did, and my son brought home all "E's".
I am just confused and fear it isn't an error.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:35 PM

Well, if it's not an error, then I guess you both know what she needs to work on next year! At this age, I would focus on correcting the problem and talk with her about the need for her to communicate with you if she is not understanding something. BTW, some kids are just not spellers (althought it certainly doesn't explain an "F").

Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Ask your daughter what's up, then get the truth from the teacher.
When I saw the grade I asked her about it. I am getting the feeling from her that she is hiding something. Yesterday she threw her spelling notebook away and I asked her why...she said it was full and that she didn't need it anymore. I dug it out and found a few unfinished assignments, but not enough to warrant an "F".
I am really surprised that the teacher did not say anything at the conference about that though. The conference was suppose to be 30 minutes, but she right off the bat told me that she wasn't worried about my kid and that she had "no complaints", so the conference was just barely 10 minutes. She (teacher) seemed like she had her mind elsewhere, but I didn't think anything of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting