Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,754 times

Advertisements

My son's birthday is next saturday and he is turning 7. We just moved to this city and so we thought it would be nice to invite his whole class of new friends as to not leave anyone out.
Well thus far I have 1 rsvp for a YES and nothing more out of 19 kids. My son is worried and freaking out and I am too. We still have 6 days before the party but I just don't know what is going to happen. He is absolutely devastated right now and its making this move even harder on him. He already has been missing his old friends and life back in our old town so if no one shows up to his new party I fear this is just going to solidify his hatred of this new place.
Since I am new, I really don't know anyone or have met any new parents to be able to contact them. I was hoping this party could open up oourselves to the community and say hello to everyone so they can get to know us but so far with one only confirmed child coming I am wondering if this was such a good idea. My sons anxiety is playing on my mind too right now. I feel just as stressed and nervous as he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 AM

292 posts, read 544,020 times
Well, if you can, try to call the parents and ask if they are bringing their child to you're son's birthday party.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:38 AM

90 posts, read 377,853 times
It seems that rsvp's do not get the response as they once did. This even happens for weddings. People sometimes pop the invite on the refridgerator and say "I will call later" but don't.
You end up having to call the people invited. Sometimes I think we should skip the invitations and just give a personal call to the ones we want to celebrate with. You will then get a response to your invite almost immediately

Your son will be adjust and make "new" friends. Give him time, and I bet he will be asking if someone can come over to play soon !

Old 01-31-2010, 12:14 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
I agree - it is a problem, even with people you know well. Sending thankyou's seems to be a long gone thing as well.

One question - how did you send the invites? Home with kids? If that's the case, the parents may have not even gotten them - they may be at the bottom of back packs.

It is awkward, when you don't know the people, to give them a call, but it may be your best bet, if you even have their phone numbers.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 PM

90 posts, read 377,853 times
I think you may not have the phone numbers of the parents yet? Maybe the teacher can send home a message to the parents about your son's party. IDK if the teacher can give you their phone numbers though.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:26 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Why is your son stressing? How does he know that there hasn't been more than one RSVP? Being only 7, one would think he wouldn't know that unless he was told and knew you were stressed about it.

If you just moved there, it could be a little soon to be inviting for a birthday party. Perhaps a
'get to know you' party would have been a better bet until he had some established friends.

Poor little guy. Maybe you could call just a few parents of those he seems to play with most of the time and explain that he would like that time out of school to get to know those kids a little better. At least that way a few might show up.

But then again, you never know. Maybe the whole bunch will come.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:54 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
I would probably try to call or email the parents. If you don't have their contact info, ask the teacher for a class list/contact info or you could try using the phone book. People get busy, forget to RSVP (or don't notice the RSVP date) and often don't call until a day or 2 before the party.

Just say: "Hi. This is x's mom, my son and your child are in the same class together. We sent out an invitation to x's birthday party a week or so ago and I wanted to make sure that you received it. Will your child be able to attend the party?"

Just keep it friendly, brief and to the point. Don't mention the lack of RSVPs or who can/can not make it.

We had to make calls to get a head count one year. Most of the kids were able to make it and it turned out to be a great party.

Good luck!

(If it turns out that only one child can make it on the day of the party you also have the option to 1) reschedule (lots of people do it, no big deal) 2) Have the birthday boy "get sick" on that day/cancel the party and take him some place special to celebrate with family (see if you can arrange a playdate with the child who did RSVP) 3) grab a few neighbor kids and let the party go on...

Let your son know that it will be o.k. no matter what!)

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-31-2010 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 04:05 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
People are very rude and self absorbed these days and many just don't have any common courtesy. The same thing happened with my daughter's b'day party when she was little. I invited many of the kids from her class and, a week before the party, only 1 or 2 had responded. I ended up having to call everyone on the list and ask if they were coming. Very akward.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:46 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,265 times
Same thing happened to us last August for my son's 6th birthday. Three neighbors RSVP'd yes, two others said yes, and 1 no out of 22. The day of the party, we had 2 no shows. We never received a call or email apology from either. Luckily my son was happy with his neighborhood pals and wasn't upset about the 2 no shows. Now that I think about it, I haven't talked to either no show since--their kids aren't in my son's class this year.

I would call whoever you have numbers for, and maybe talk to the parent who did RSVP...she may know more of the people and can remind those she knows. Good luck with it!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,754 times
To Noexcuses- He is 7 yrs old. He knows the function of a phone and he knew the drill from previous parties that you give the invites out, the parents call and say Yes they can come or no they can't . Its nothing I am doing to be causing him stress.
I sent the invites out by card through the school so the children were to take them home in their bags ( fingers crossed)
I do not have any contact information for anyone yet. I simply do not know them to have at that stage so I thought this birthday would be a chance to open the door and say hello and let people get to know us. Perhaps I was wrong, perhaps I should have waited but after speaking with his teacher and her telling me how he has adapted socially ( she says he is doing well) I thought it would be a good idea.
I think I will have to speak to her though, get some help on this matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting