Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Just googled Duran Duran, and I find The "Reflex" lyrics too obtuse to clearly mean anything. I'm guessing sexual? Masturbation? But it's fun trying to figure it out.
You and me both!

Quote:
I distinctly remember singing along with "Afternoon Delight" as a child while I was in the car with my mother. Fast forward 10 years, and she destroyed all of my Prince cassettes (remember those? lol) after hearing "Lady Cabdriver." My friends made me dubs, which is exactly how that whole forbidden fruit scenario usually plays out.
My brother had an 8 track of Boston he'd keep hidden under his car seat.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Just googled Duran Duran, and I find The "Reflex" lyrics too obtuse to clearly mean anything. I'm guessing sexual? Masturbation? But it's fun trying to figure it out. Frankie's "Relax" is another matter altogether. No shades of gray there!

I distinctly remember singing along with "Afternoon Delight" as a child while I was in the car with my mother. Fast forward 10 years, and she destroyed all of my Prince cassettes (remember those? lol) after hearing "Lady Cabdriver." My friends made me dubs, which is exactly how that whole forbidden fruit scenario usually plays out. I also remember playing records backwards and looking for hidden meanings in lyrics and all that, and what I think is that unless the lyrics are explicit, they can be interpreted to mean anything. For example, I've heard that Sarah McLaughlin's song "Angel" is about heroin. That was never my interpretation. I never cared for Marilyn Manson's music (except he has a wicked cover of "Sweet Dreams") because I find him a little gimmicky. However, after hearing him talk about his music in Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine, he seems to me like an intelligent and thoughtful person.

I used to watch Freaks and Geeks, and in one episode the main character said to her father "Each generation fears the music that comes from the next." I try to keep that in mind. That said, I'd rather my kids listen to something a little edgy than the talentless mass-marketed Disney flavors-of-the-month. If I'm uncomfortable with the messages, I will tell my girls that I don't like the way women are presented. I don't like to just say "no" to movies, music, books without a reason. I tell them what I think is inappropriate and why. If I'm not ready to explain the why part, I tell them that I will when they're old enough to understand it.

I just said way too much, I'm sure, but this is turning into such an interesting thread!
Okay, it's possible I read too much into "Reflex," but I'm not the only one. "Relax" horrifies me. There's just no room for other interpretations in that one.

I asked my eight-year-old about his favorite song, and he told me it's "Fireflies" by Owl City, because, as he put it, "I like happy songs." Can't say I have problem with that. I do, too!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:25 AM

81 posts, read 158,783 times
lucygirl, lol on the Prince cassettes! My little brother went into my room, took my tapes and then I got grounded because my mom heard him listening to Darling Nikki! Not sure what happened to the tape after that but I can visualize my mom, a hammer and the sidewalk.....

My kids 14 & 20, listen to pretty much everything except country, but neither of them listens to the 'bad' music of any genre - and it's in everyone one, except perhaps classical and gospel.

Keeping lines of communication open helps alot, if you can discuss the subjects in the songs w/your kids, then they're not left trying to figure it out for themselves, or worse, letting a friend explain it. My daughter, 14, will listen to Ke$ha because the lyrics are catchy but when she saw her on Idol, she thought she looked like a trashy worn out druggie. She likes GaGa because of her creativity but told me yesterday "someone seriously needs to have her evaluated"

I think as long as you're aware of what your child is doing, you've overcome a hurdle many parents can seem to get past. I'm glad I have such a great relationship w/my kids and I realize not everyone is so lucky and not necessarily because of anything they've done - teens are tough!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:27 AM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
I don't have kids yet but when I do they will probably listen to hard rock along with me. Obviously when they are very young I will probably edit a bit but for a healthy, well-adjusted child I am really not concerned about the music they listen to. I listened to the radio all the time with my dad. I knew perfectly well that just because some of the songs discussed drugs, alcohol, sex, etc that it didn't mean I should go out and emulate the songs!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:33 AM

207 posts, read 452,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Totally agree here.

fbam, obviously you are coming from a certain place and obviously have a right to feel the way you do and protect your children how you see fit.

I think it's easy to use music as a scape goat when things go wrong with a child instead of maybe it being the parent should have been more involved in that child's life and what they are doing day to day.

And yes, words can be very powerful. I'll admit here - I'm a Marilyn Manson fan. His words are powerful. He actually has a lot to say about society, his background his experiences. And if you have certain religious views, then I can see where you have a problem with some of what he sings about. By the way, an interesting interview regarding the Satanism thing:

I'll leave it at that as I don't want this to become a Marilyn Manson debate. I just think sometimes artists in ANY genre can get labeled a certain way because of how they look or what their beliefs might be. This is obviously just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with it obviously.
Let me make this clear I listened to all of these artists. I own marilyn manson cd's- antichrist superstar used to be one of my favorite songs. I guess the point of my post is this: IF you do let your children listen to these songs- ARE YOU TRULY listening to the lyrics? If you are and you think it's fine that's your call. BUT if your kids listen to these songs and you are just bobbing your head to the beat you should take the time to research the stuff that your kids are paying more attention to than you give them credit for.

I'm not coming from any place where my kids are out of control and I'm grasping at straws trying to find someone to blame. I actually LISTEN to this music and feel a little sad about how many girls (& boys) are listening to this stuff and actually absorbing some of it. That's all. I will take the responsibility to educate my children and I'm not going to shelter them from the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Questionable meanings behind songs is nothing new (as you have stated). Of course, as a parent you will need to be aware of and in control of what goes on in your home. That is your call. I think sometimes we read/hear things in the news that makes it sound like horrible things go on everywhere all the time - that's all today's teens are doing. "Kids commit suicide after listening to Nirvana!!!" "15 yo's arrested for 'flashing' motorists!!" etc etc. It's easy and understandable to be alarmed. Keep in mind though - if it was prevalent, it most likely wouldn't be news. There ARE a lot more things parents need to be aware of now than in generations past - and music is and always has been a reflection of the times. The best you can do, as a parent, is to keep the lines of communication open and be aware of what is going on in your kid's lives. Talk to them, but also listen to them. If everything else is going ok in their lives, what they choose to listen to really won't be a big issue.
Again- I'm not chicken little thinking the big bad world is ruining my kids. I am alarmed at how many parents just let their kids listen to and watch whatever. I was one of them, I was watching Evil Dead in 1st grade and listening to whatever music I wanted to. It happens. I was curious out of the parents that don't restrict or limit- are they paying attention?

About the news articles of course I don't think it's common place. But AFTER headlines of suicide over sexting why would beyonce release this song and video? They aren't raising my kids but they still make me feel concerned for the kids listening to them.

humor me. watch this video especially at 1:30 until the end. How many girls in audience are teens and tweens?

YouTube - Beyoncé - Video Phone (I AM TOUR @ ParisBercy) HQ

Old 08-13-2010, 11:34 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
When DD was in preschool (Christian preschool in your area fc), they were all asked their favorite song for some reason....apparently my DD couldn't think of the name to her song so she said it was the "hot burning song" ....I went through every CD we had trying to figure out what it was...Apparently (can't remember which one) it was either Talking Heads "Burning Down the House" or Foreigner's "Hot Blooded" -neither of which I'm sure was what they were looking for at that preschool. My son, at that same age would have said B-52's "Love Shack" - cause that is a great song to dance around the house to....(not even going into the meanings there....)

Old 08-13-2010, 11:37 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
My grown son cracks me up sometimes when we take his car places. He'll hear a song come on and turn the volume down, telling me I can't hear that because it's too raunchy. I tell him it's okay because I can't make out half the lyrics of songs nowadays anyway. Can't get offended by words I can't even understand.
I think that's the same reason my mom never said a word when I listened to Prince. Either she couldn't understand the lyrics, or she took them at face value without realizing the meaning behind the words!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
fbam - you do realize that every post you keep saying that you listen(ed) to all this stuff...yet here you are, apparently a well adjusted adult and concerned parent. I think that's usually how it happens. With young kids like yours, of course I would be monitoring things they are exposed to - including TV, movies and videos (more so than music playing occasionally in the background) - there were lots of shows I missed when my kids were little because I chose not to have that on when they were awake. But as far as "forbidding" older kids and teens from listening to certain music? I can't really see that - again, assuming everything else appears to be running smoothly in their lives. But that's just what has worked for me and my family. YMMV

Old 08-13-2010, 11:52 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times
I don't think music influences kids, teens, adults, etc. whatsoever. I listen to Lady Gaga and Fall Out Boy but it doesn't make me want to go out and be a slutty emo kid.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
My children are young adults---too old to be interested in the artists the OP mentioned. But I NEVER censored their music choices. Most music has 'messages' that parents freak about. I grew up on rock with heavy inferences to drugs and sex. My children are more into classical music, classic rock, and many diverse types of music. They also like underground rap, which is completely different from the rap that's on the radio. What it's all about? I have no clue, nor do I care. It's music from their generation. They're good kids who always make smart decisions. And that's all that matters to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting