Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 PM

207 posts, read 452,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
fbam - you do realize that every post you keep saying that you listen(ed) to all this stuff...yet here you are, apparently a well adjusted adult and concerned parent. I think that's usually how it happens. With young kids like yours, of course I would be monitoring things they are exposed to - including TV, movies and videos (more so than music playing occasionally in the background) - there were lots of shows I missed when my kids were little because I chose not to have that on when they were awake. But as far as "forbidding" older kids and teens from listening to certain music? I can't really see that - again, assuming everything else appears to be running smoothly in their lives. But that's just what has worked for me and my family. YMMV
point taken but as a teen my friends and I emulated these "artists" many of them still do. Music IS the driving force behind pop culture and everything from what kids wear to how they speak. Music is more than just a reflection of our times. it constantly pushes the envelope of what is acceptable in society. It is a snow ball effect of sorts. Look at the controversy surrounding Madonna in the 80's and it became, well the norm. imagine her pulling some of the stuff she did then, now. It wouldn't get a second look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
I don't think music influences kids, teens, adults, etc. whatsoever. I listen to Lady Gaga and Fall Out Boy but it doesn't make me want to go out and be a slutty emo kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 12:25 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
My twins will be turning 16 soon and I don't censor their music. They listen to all types of music, some more than others. I have no problem with them listening to the artists you mentioned, but they don't particularly care for them so don't seek out their music. My dd also listens to a lot of middle eastern music and doesn't have a clue what they're singing about since she doesn't understand the language, she just likes the way certain songs sound, the beat, the instruments, and the singing voice. Some of her friends listen to Korean music and they don't know what the songs are about, either.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
it constantly pushes the envelope of what is acceptable in society
Agreed...but it is not always a bad thing...sometimes those boundaries need to be pushed. Music makes more than sexual statements, it makes political as well as societal points also. And sometimes it's simply fun and entertaining. Better to teach your children to think and filter than to do all of their thinking and filtering for them. Both are quite useful tools to develop.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:39 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
ARE YOU TRULY listening to the lyrics? If you are and you think it's fine that's your call. BUT if your kids listen to these songs and you are just bobbing your head to the beat you should take the time to research the stuff that your kids are paying more attention to than you give them credit for.
Yep, I sure do. Own the cd's too.

And I wasn't implying that you are coming from a place where your "kids are out of control". I meant it more religious/beliefs wise. At least that is the take I have gotten from your posts. Don't assume everyone on these boards shares your same belief system.

I grew up in a very strict religious home, have a degree in theology, and I am now an atheist. But I understand where others are coming from and respect those beliefs, even though they are not mine.

I particularly like music that makes me think - whether it's political, making a statement about society, etc.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
Music IS the driving force behind pop culture and everything from what kids wear to how they speak. Music is more than just a reflection of our times. it constantly pushes the envelope of what is acceptable in society. It is a snow ball effect of sorts.
I strongly believe pushing the envelope of society can be a very good thing!

Quote:
Agreed...but it is not always a bad thing...sometimes those boundaries need to be pushed. Music makes more than sexual statements, it makes political as well as societal points also.
Just imagine where we would be today if there weren't political statements in music! I'm so glad we're not stuck in the 1950s!

Quote:
Better to teach your children to think and filter than to do all of their thinking and filtering for them. Both are quite useful tools to develop.
Teaching my children to think for themselves was one of my main goals as a parent.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Agreed...but it is not always a bad thing...sometimes those boundaries need to be pushed. Music makes more than sexual statements, it makes political as well as societal points also. Better to teach your children to think and filter than to do all of their thinking and filtering for them. Both are quite useful tools to develop.
I agree 100% I believe that the most important speech is that with which you disagree. I don't want to hinder anyone's 1st amendment rights but I just wanted to bring some of this to the attention of the parents that do not want their kids listening to this type of thing.

I have seen on a number of threads where people are complaining about the decay of our society and over sexualizing of our youth. Well IMHO this is PART of the answer as to why. I just think parents should be more thoughtful about what their kids are doing and get involved. Be a parent first then a friend.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
I have seen on a number of threads where people are complaining about the decay of our society and over sexualizing of our youth
That's a very complex topic and not so black and white as many posters would have you believe. Parents should be more thoughtful about a lot of things frankly. I just have a hard time with thoughtful= censorship. I think parents who talk and listen to their kids have a lot more influence than parents who simply "lay down the law" because they can. Contrary to popular belief, you can have meaningful discussions with kids without losing your parental authority....<shrugs>

Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Yep, I sure do. Own the cd's too.

And I wasn't implying that you are coming from a place where your "kids are out of control". I meant it more religious/beliefs wise. At least that is the take I have gotten from your posts. Don't assume everyone on these boards shares your same belief system.

I grew up in a very strict religious home, have a degree in theology, and I am now an atheist. But I understand where others are coming from and respect those beliefs, even though they are not mine.

I particularly like music that makes me think - whether it's political, making a statement about society, etc.
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. believe me I know not everyone shares my beliefs on here or anywhere for that matter.
My family and my Husbands both are not religious at all. We became Christians as adults
I respect everyone's views and I am not trying to evangelize at all. Also I don't think you need to be Christian to have a good moral compass.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
That's a very complex topic and not so black and white as many posters would have you believe. Parents should be more thoughtful about a lot of things frankly. I just have a hard time with thoughtful= censorship. I think parents who talk and listen to their kids have a lot more influence than parents who simply "lay down the law" because they can. Contrary to popular belief, you can have meaningful discussions with kids without losing your parental authority....<shrugs>
I agree with that too. I don't want to censor my children's lives. At this age I am certainly doing so- when they get older I hope I will have instilled good values and morals in my kids so they aren't too seriously affected by the agendas & messages in pop culture. How many children these days didn't have parents who took the time to develop them or encourage them to THINK not just absorb, consume & regurgitate whatever is thrown at them. Obviously most people on the parenting forum take an active role in their children's lives- but far too often these pop idols and artists become their role models.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
In my house all I allow is Barry Manilow because he is the greatest musician in the history of music.

Sorry. Just wanted to freak everybody out.

My brother has been in the business since the 60's and I have an honest-to-gosh rock star (who shall be nameless) as a cousin. So we actually had some extremely well-known musicians, writers and producers as friends. (Laurel Canyon. Big sigh.) There were a few who I took such exceptions to as human beings that I would not allow them in my house. I always knew exactly what was in the lyrics. My prohibit list included anything that was totally raunchy or violent or sexist. At least when they were young. I was listening to some stuff in the sixties that was pretty raunchy and violent and sexist myself. (Like John Lennon's "Run For Your Life".)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting