Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
As I have said many, many time; society is going downhill, not up. Things are getting worse with every breath and people just aren't getting it.

IT'S THE WAY KIDS ARE RAISED THESE DAYS AND THE PC MENTALITY THAT ARE KILLING US ALL.

Nothing will change until people admit they are wrong and make changes. Nothing will change until parents stop putting their children at the center of their universe or not having them in their universe at all. Parents are either one extreme or the other and it's destroying the generations coming up. All this new philosophy of parenting is destroying the generations coming up.
Actually, it's making the future brighter for those of us who raise our children with discipline and make them EARN their rewards. Those of us who teach them the value of competition and 'count points' and only hand out trophies to first place. Because THAT IS THE REAL WORLD. The real world keeps score. Love them and give them confidence, but let it be real self-confidence that comes from real accomplishment.
Our kids will blow those other kids out of the water. No competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:35 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The story does not effectively make the connection between "helicopter" parents and increasing mental illness on the campus. Try again.
But you should be able to make it yourself.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
As I have said many, many time; society is going downhill, not up. Things are getting worse with every breath and people just aren't getting it.

IT'S THE WAY KIDS ARE RAISED THESE DAYS AND THE PC MENTALITY THAT ARE KILLING US ALL.

Nothing will change until people admit they are wrong and make changes. Nothing will change until parents stop putting their children at the center of their universe or not having them in their universe at all. Parents are either one extreme or the other and it's destroying the generations coming up. All this new philosophy of parenting is destroying the generations coming up.

I wanted to rate your post positively, as there is no "extremely positively" button, but the system tells me I am supposed to "spread the reputation around" before I give you another point.

The PC disease has spread to computers too. We are in serious trouble.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Eh, I think we should look less at whether or not these kids were over-nurtured and more at the world in which these kids live. Huge student loan debts and high jobless rates for recent graduates are reason enough for them to feel hopeless and depressed. Even the most mentally resilient person can fall off a cliff when future prospects look dim. Add in lack of sleep, availability of alcohol, and a demanding course load, and it's a sure-fire recipe for a breakdown.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Our kids will blow those other kids out of the water.
I say let us all breed less so there will be less "blowing out of the water", overall.
Much better world to live in. Raising humans whose only meaningful goal in life is to "get ahead of others", deserved or not, is a suck a** world, no matter how you put it.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
To blame this young woman for her lack of skills and effort is terrible. Of course no one on here knows her but her example is very common. And even much older and more experienced workers are having no luck at all.

It burns me up to blame these people as not trying or lazy.

Our own honors graduate daughter had a terrible time getting a job. We very much disagreed on HOW she applied. She thought pushing keys on a computer was applying for a job and that is literally all she did. She grew very defensive, hostile, spoiled and a general b##ch to be around. We wanted her to "pound the pavement" to really look for a job but she refused. We kicked her out after a few tempermental outburst but invited her back after a week with many conditions. Finally her Dad was able to use some of his connections to get her an interview but she herself got the job and loves it. For 2 years she has been temporary partime working over 40 hrs per week but her employer avoids any benefits doing it this way.

She is not complaining. She is happy to have a job but she knows many others who are still looking. Her temperment changed dramatically and she became human again.

I can only imagine how depressing it must be for someone with a family who is running out of options. This country is in a miserable spiral downhill but there are many reasons why and helicopter parents are not the main reason. i believe in the old fashioned way of raising kids to respect and defer to their parents. Still we need to look at the gloomy prospects of these students to see how easy it would be to get mired in depression and anxiety.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:15 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
I, too, think that the standard phrase - anyone who wants to work can find a job - uttered mainly by those who are fortunate enough to have jobs, is no longer realistic, if it ever was.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
If you're saying you've spend 15 hours a day applying for jobs, looking for jobs, sending out resumes, etc and you can't even get a McDonald's job, then you are the problem, not "the economy". I'm not trying to be harsh but, if what you posted is true, then it's time you look at what you're doing wrong and not "the economy".
Your post sounded harsh, but I looked up the unemployment rate for Cumming, GA, and it's only 2.2%! That's amazing for this recession!

Cumming, GA, only has a population of 5,000, only 13% have bachelors degrees and a whopping 35% never finished high school!

Maybe the OP is over educated for the area. Unless that 35% includes minors under 18, which is not clear in the statistics.

edited to add:

I've discovered the likely reason charolastra can't find a job.

There is SERIOUS racial and religious tension in Cumming, GA.

Based on other posts on city data, charolastra is a religious minority for the area.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I've dealt with the one of the "over-managed" types in the real world. Had an opening for an entry level professional job that paid $50k per year and included fully paid benefits for the employee. Pretty good deal for a young kid out of college. I had targeted this position to be more of a "rookie" learning the ropes and there was a lot of potential for growth. The salary was less than other jobs doing the same thing, but this was based on not wanting experience. I interviewed probably 20 people for the job. One young man stood out from the rest and I gave him an offer letter and told him I needed to know within 24 hours.

The next day I get a phone call from the young man...and his father. He says I reviewed the offer with my dad and WE think that the salary is not commenserate with the position. I said, you're absolutely right, but I am taking a risk on someone without experience and putting you in a position to grow with the company. When you've proven your abilities, you'll earn more. The father then cuts in that given his sons excellent grades and degree that he knows he will be an asset to the company and he feels that a salary of $60k would be better. I said, you're absolute right, $60k would be better than $50k unfortunately your son won't be earning either at this company, consider the offer rescinded. Through their stammering I managed to explain to them that in no way would I hire someone in a position that required self discipline and motivation who needed his father to negotiate the terms of his job offer.

Unfortunately this is a true story and is happening a lot these days. It seems a lot of younger folks are constantly seeking the parents approval and permission before they make decisions. It's one thing to ask for advice, it's something else to seek permission and approval. Had this kid called me himself and asked for more, I may have even lamented and agreed on $55k. As it was, he did me a favor and candidate number 2 proved to be a great asset to the company and didn't need daddy to hold her hand.

Parents need to refocus that our primary job is raising our kids to be independent fully functioning adults. We are not here to make their lives easier and fix their mistakes, we're here to teach and guide them and ultimately let them rise or fall on their own accord. At some point kid's "feelings" and "image of self worth" became more important than letting them stand on their own two feet and yes, occasionally fail and not be number one.

As far as charolastra's situation goes, it isn't all that uncommon these days. BA's are a dime a dozen and there is a major crunch in many job sectors. The previous employers that people used to refer to under the "take any job umbrella" have a much larger pool to pick from. These places prefer two workers over any others; young high school kids and the elderly. The young high school kids don't put up a stink, will work for minimum wage and don't need benefits. The elderly are usually working to subsidize their retirement and also generally don't put up a stink, demand benefits and are willing to work for minimum wage, or close to it. Why hire people who are grossly overqualified when you know they are only their to work until something better comes along?

When it comes to professional leaning jobs there is a major crunch there as well. It's almost as if everyone has been shifted down a level. People with degrees and experience are competing for entry level jobs against kids right out of school versus going for jobs up the ladder that are now being taken by people with even more experience, etc.

It really is a crappy time to be a new college grad looking for work. High school kids and the elderly have soaked up the part time crap jobs and people with more experience and the same degree are willing to take the entry level jobs that used to be the starting point for kids right out of college. Everyone I know that has had a job change do to the economy generally lost about 15% of their salary and went down a rung on the ladder.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:25 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Actually, it's making the future brighter for those of us who raise our children with discipline and make them EARN their rewards. Those of us who teach them the value of competition and 'count points' and only hand out trophies to first place. Because THAT IS THE REAL WORLD. The real world keeps score. Love them and give them confidence, but let it be real self-confidence that comes from real accomplishment.
Our kids will blow those other kids out of the water. No competition.
Didn't think of that. Good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I wanted to rate your post positively, as there is no "extremely positively" button, but the system tells me I am supposed to "spread the reputation around" before I give you another point.

The PC disease has spread to computers too. We are in serious trouble.
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
To blame this young woman for her lack of skills and effort is terrible.

It burns me up to blame these people as not trying or lazy.

Our own honors graduate daughter had a terrible time getting a job. We very much disagreed on HOW she applied. She thought pushing keys on a computer was applying for a job and that is literally all she did. She grew very defensive, hostile, spoiled and a general b##ch to be around. We wanted her to "pound the pavement" to really look for a job but she refused. We kicked her out after a few tempermental outburst but invited her back after a week with many conditions. Finally her Dad was able to use some of his connections to get her an interview but she herself got the job and loves it.

I can only imagine how depressing it must be for someone with a family who is running out of options. This country is in a miserable spiral downhill but there are many reasons why and helicopter parents are not the main reason. i believe in the old fashioned way of raising kids to respect and defer to their parents. Still we need to look at the gloomy prospects of these students to see how easy it would be to get mired in depression and anxiety.
You are criticizing those of us who think a job is only gotten when someone gets out there and finds one, yet you yourself have a daughter who sat on her duff at the computer and didn't get out there either. It's nice when Dad goes out and finds jobs for his kids, but really, don't you think she was old enough to get out there and find one on her own? Don't you think it would have been HER success to find one on her own? Why rob her of that success? Why take that responsibility away from a grown offspring and do it yourself?

Excuses, excuses, excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting