Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
This line has been written way too many times with way too little evidence to support it. As in "zero".
Alright then what do YOU suggest. Should we take out the belt and whip our children or spank them with a wooden spoon or burn them with an iron or punch them in the face. Do you think THAT would be more effective. Maybe we should just beat them senseless. THEN they would know who's boss right. Lets parent them so that they fear us and so that they obey us out of fear. Sounds great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
And why is that?

What would be the worst thing that could happen to your child if a teacher paddled him/her - even in the worst case scenario where the teacher was wrong and the child an angel (note that this is rarely-to-never the case in reality).

Could it be that your love for your child is somehow pure-er, deeper, more special, more righteous, better informed or what have you, than that of generations of parents who trusted that a dose of punishment/ admonishing from another authority figure in the community (the teacher) would not only NOT harm the child but do them a world of good?

At that time, parents, teachers and others in the community worked together to uphold high standards of behavior and high expectations for the children. This amounted to respect for self as well as others in the community, in general. The parent abstaining from "cringing" that a terrible thing had been done to their little darling translated into the message:

One way or the other, you are expected to behave and be considerate towards others as well as yourself. There is more to this world than the needs of your precious, sacred self.
You live in a village, the village has certain rules, mom and dad are in synch with the village rules - so adjust.

Children today no longer adjust to anything because there is no village, there are no rules (beyond some selfish house rules, arbitrarily made up by self-involved, offspring-adoring moms and dads) - so an overall selfish jungle emerges in which nobody is a winner, ultimately.

Evidence can be seen with the naked eye.
All generalizations.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05chevy View Post
I'm the opening poster. I haven't been a member here that long and didn't know we were beating a dead horse. For now on, I will conduct an extensive search to see if a particular subject has been covered before starting another thread. As much information flows through this forum, that might be next to impossible. But, I will try to be more thoughtful to others feelings in the future.
You really don't have to do that. Feel free to post what you want. Don't listen to others who feel the need to criticize you for this thread. If they don't like the subject why do they insist on reading it and then posting a response?

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-16-2010 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: .

Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Quote:
And why is that?

What would be the worst thing that could happen to your child if a teacher paddled him/her - even in the worst case scenario where the teacher was wrong and the child an angel (note that this is rarely-to-never the case in reality).

Could it be that your love for your child is somehow pure-er, deeper, more special, more righteous, better informed or what have you, than that of generations of parents who trusted that a dose of punishment/ admonishing from another authority figure in the community (the teacher) would not only NOT harm the child but do them a world of good?

At that time, parents, teachers and others in the community worked together to uphold high standards of behavior and high expectations for the children. This amounted to respect for self as well as others in the community, in general. The parent abstaining from "cringing" that a terrible thing had been done to their little darling translated into the message:

One way or the other, you are expected to behave and be considerate towards others as well as yourself. There is more to this world than the needs of your precious, sacred self.
You live in a village, the village has certain rules, mom and dad are in synch with the village rules - so adjust.

Children today no longer adjust to anything because there is no village, there are no rules (beyond some selfish house rules, arbitrarily made up by self-involved, offspring-adoring moms and dads) - so an overall selfish jungle emerges in which nobody is a winner, ultimately.

Evidence can be seen with the naked eye.
So basically, what you're saying is that spanking a kid is the only way that their ever gonna have respect for their teacher? Hmmmm, whatever. I've got better things to do than sit and debate spanking. I'm outta here

Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
So basically, what you're saying is that spanking a kid is the only way that their ever gonna have respect for their teacher? Hmmmm.

You got it

Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 PM

226 posts, read 559,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Ahh you are a newbie...well, I wasn't singling you out...spank, do not spank, breastfeed, do not breastfeed, parents too involved, parents not involved, etc are recurring topics on here...the parenting forum is very Jerry Springerish..imo.

Some posters just can't get enough of it...I guess!
No problem. I'm already getting tired of all the racial threads around here (It's like constant fighting). I mean, I have my own thoughts on the subject, but jeez, enough is enough.

Anyway, don't mean to hijack my own thread. Please continue.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
All generalizations.
When pop-psychology America comes up with a better intellectual argument than crying "generalization!!!", let me know.
I'll be there in a hurry.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I've got better things to do than sit and debate spanking. I'm outta here
You're making me curious...

Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
When pop-psychology America comes up with a better intellectual argument than crying "generalization!!!", let me know.
I'll be there in a hurry.
okey dokey

Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,170 times
I have two school age daughters, and part of the problem that I see in schools is that the teachers (and I hate to generalize, but especially the young ones) don't always have appropriate boundaries with the students. Some teachers don't act like adults. They facebook friend and text their students. I cannot respect a teacher who wears a "Bad girls go to Vegas" tee under her cardigan when she's teaching or who plays Katy Perry on her ipod in the classroom or who quotes lines from The Hangover to 4th graders. The students won't respect this kind of teacher either. Sure, they'll like her, but they won't respect her. Standards are relaxed everywhere, not only in parenting.

I don't think it's so much a need for a return to discipline as it is a need for a return to civility and professionalism. Dignity, I guess is what's missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting