Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Yeah, sheesh, I am a Gen X and I almost had a heart attack when NoExcuses said we might have kids in their 20's!!! Not yet, lol.

I'm not agreeing with NoExcuses and others who characterize teens/20's as lazy and entitled. This is simply not what I am experiencing in my life. I have two teens (three more behind them) and know many others-my oldest just graduated hs. Almost all the kids I know, are young people who are working, going to school (or both) or joining the military. I don't actually know any of the 'entitled/lazy' kids that keep getting talked about here. The kids I know, are trying hard to make it, in tough times.
As a parent of two older teens (17 and 20 this month), I have to agree with this. I don't know one of these "lazy" kids, living in their parent's basement so they can fund their "toy" habit. I work with people who have kids who are a few years older than my kids and I work with younger, fairly recent graduates. I still don't know any. Doesn't mean they don't exist (I have no doubt that they do) but I don't think they are as prevalent as some people would have us believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 05:22 PM

144 posts, read 307,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I got to page two. The job market sucking isn't the jist of the article. Plus, this trend was occuring long before the job market sucked.

I'm going to toss out my own opinion as to why this is happening. Our society and children are more driven by material things than independence. Children today have expensive interests compared to our generation as children. We didn't have huge 'entertainment' expenses in addition to living expenses when we went out on our own. We didn't have to pay for cell phones, internet, etc. We simply had rent and utilities to contend with on our own.

Society today won't do without all the luxuries. They don't just want a cell phone, they want a Blackberry with all the bells and whistles. They don't just want internet, they want high speed internet. And they're willing to trade independence to have these luxuries. They don't want to move out until they can have it all. That wasn't the way it was when we were young adults. We moved out and counted pennies. And we were happy to do it too!
I think modern material things and economy is part of the problem. But also consider transportation (cost of cars) and housing (buying or renting) has shot WAY UP . It would seem hard for any kids to get a good start on there own these days. Its no wonder many more kids are going straight to college from high school these days.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
This is simply not what I am experiencing in my life. I have two teens (three more behind them) and know many others-my oldest just graduated hs. Almost all the kids I know, are young people who are working, going to school (or both) or joining the military. I don't actually know any of the 'entitled/lazy' kids that keep getting talked about here. The kids I know, are trying hard to make it, in tough times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
As a parent of two older teens (17 and 20 this month), I have to agree with this. I don't know one of these "lazy" kids, living in their parent's basement so they can fund their "toy" habit.
My own experience with teens, as well. I am amazed at the motivation of some of these kids....star athletes and top scholars. Requires self motivation and dedication. Many here go on to top notch universities and with scholarships that they earned.

I am looking forward to what this generation of teens will accomplish some day!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
My own experience with teens, as well. I am amazed at the motivation of some of these kids....star athletes and top scholars. Requires self motivation and dedication. Many here go on to top notch universities and with scholarships that they earned.

I am looking forward to what this generation of teens will accomplish some day!
Interesting article on how competent teens really are vs how competent adults think they are.

Trashing Teens | Psychology Today

Old 08-27-2010, 06:04 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't really think that's true. The trend toward younger people living more with their parents started even when the job market was good.

The cost of living does play a role. It is harder to get your life off the ground today with the high cost of living relative to starting salaries. But I think it's also true that this generation prefers to stay at home with their parents to avoid sacrifice, while previous generations would have chosen to do without and pinch pennies rather than get stuck living with their parents as adults. The change is more than just a lack of jobs, which is only a very recent thing.
Or is it that they would rather stay home save money and create a better situation for themselves. Being independent are barely making it is no better then living with your parents.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:44 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Or is it that they would rather stay home save money and create a better situation for themselves. Being independent are barely making it is no better then living with your parents.
That depends on whether they use being home as an opportunity to save money, or to blow it on unnecessary stuff they wouldn't be able to afford if they were paying rent.

I know somebody living in a house owned by parents paying no rent, and she drives a BMW and takes expensive vacations. She also has no savings.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:34 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That depends on whether they use being home as an opportunity to save money, or to blow it on unnecessary stuff they wouldn't be able to afford if they were paying rent.

I know somebody living in a house owned by parents paying no rent, and she drives a BMW and takes expensive vacations. She also has no savings.
So what if they do? Sounds like you are being petty and jealous...and maybe she just isn't discussing her savings with you because, well, it's none of your business. You have no idea what she saves!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
So what if they do? Sounds like you are being petty and jealous...and maybe she just isn't discussing her savings with you because, well, it's none of your business. You have no idea what she saves!
I couldn't care less what she does with her money. I'm much better off anyway, even with the fact that I pay my own way. I was just using the case as an example of how not everybody who lives with parents (or in housing provided by them for free) does it so he/she can save money and be better off later. Some do it just to consume more. If the parents allow it, it's their own fault. I don't think it does anybody a favor to tolerate that from their kids, honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting