Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This isn't about simply getting information. It's about the ability to project confidence making phone calls. People who are afraid of talking on the phone need lots of practice. Many employers do phone interviews prior to giving a face to face interview. It saves time, weeding out the undesirables more quickly. If you're uncomfortable talking on the phone, it will be obvious to an interviewer that you are not skilled at verbal communication and you won't be invited for a face to face interview. Anyone who has issues with making phone calls should be practicing as much as possible. You never know when presenting yourself well on the telephone could make a huge impact on your life.
Looking back I have no idea why anyone would be uncomfortable on the phone. No one sees you. Sometimes when me and my friends call places we like to try out different accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,968,858 times
I don't like talking on the phone. Part of the reason is that I'm very visual, and not being able to see a person's lips move and their facial expression sometimes throws me off. I do call places when I need to, but I do understand not preferring telephone use to looking up the information on the Internet or just walking into a company to ask an actual person what I need to know.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
I don't know how any one can function in today's world without being able to handle a phone conversation. To teach my hesitant teen daughter I had her sit with me at the desk and explained the particular problem i was going to make a call about. I took notes, got her input and told her how I was going to handle it, the points I wanted to make and reminders of how my tone would affect the results.

She was on the other line and was amazed at how it all went down. Soon enough she had to make calls like this on her own. Calls about car insurance, student loans, scholarships, asking for information, etc. I feel I was instrumental in teaching her how to be a good business handler and she has demonstrated she can handle business on the phone very well. 21 is way too old to be shy about making phone calls, especially ones which are your responsibility.

You will not always have Mama to do your work for you.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't know how any one can function in today's world without being able to handle a phone conversation. To teach my hesitant teen daughter I had her sit with me at the desk and explained the particular problem i was going to make a call about. I took notes, got her input and told her how I was going to handle it, the points I wanted to make and reminders of how my tone would affect the results.

She was on the other line and was amazed at how it all went down. Soon enough she had to make calls like this on her own. Calls about car insurance, student loans, scholarships, asking for information, etc. I feel I was instrumental in teaching her how to be a good business handler and she has demonstrated she can handle business on the phone very well. 21 is way too old to be shy about making phone calls, especially ones which are your responsibility.

You will not always have Mama to do your work for you.

Like I said. I make the calls if I NEED to.
I'll call my school, I'll call work. I'll call places to find something out.
BUT I don't make calls if I don't have to.

Like, if we are out and my mom wants to know the address of say Best Buy, why in the world would call up 411, waste $2 doing so and then have them connect me just to ask whats you're location.

I can just google Best Buy, input my zip code into the store locator and then click on the address on the screen and it'll automatically tell me A) the address and B) where exactly it is and how to get there.

Another instance. Papa Johns, you can order online. I can put in EXACTLY how I want my pizza done, what extras I want added and what drinks etc I want. Usually when I call up, I get some teenager who fails to multitask, leaves my mushrooms off and fails to add in the extra marinara sauce which is needed because my brother eats it like he breathes air.

Or i'll be texting a friend and she'll be like call them and ask them instead, its quicker, uh no its not really and it uses minutes because none of my friends have Verizon. Hardly any of my friends answer calls but will answer a text almost immediately.

I CAN make calls. I CAN talk on the phone just fine. Do I really like phone calls? Not really. If I need to I'll make a call, if there is a better alternative to finding something out whether it be text message or the internet, then i'll choose the text or the internet any day. I simply prefer them better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting