Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You think hitting is wrong. That does not make hitting wrong. Hitting for the purpose of doing bodily harm is wrong. That did not happen in this case. The mother used a nonviolent gesture of authority to control a child who (like most adults) gets driven to an unreasonable level of exasperation by the experience of commercial air flight.
I have never been able to figure out how hitting (even spanking) can be considered non-violent. Violence is the expression of physical or verbal force against self or other, compelling action against one's will on pain of being hurt.
Do parents really think hitting doesn't hurt the child (at least physically). If it doesn't hurt, then why would it be an effective at stopping the behavior?

Hitting a child across the face, btw, is certainly different from spanking them. The mother was also screaming at the child according to the report. The parents were having a loud argument with each other as well. The child is 13 months old, not even 2 and certainly not old enough to be having the kind of behavior that is deliberate. Crying at this age is usually due to tiredness, overstimulation, hunger, etc.

I wonder about the black eye, btw. It is *possible* it was caused by the dog, but in a case like this, I would think that the family should be investigated as it is also possible that the child is being abused at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Anyone who slaps a baby should be put in jail.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
You think hitting is wrong. That does not make hitting wrong. Hitting for the purpose of doing bodily harm is wrong. That did not happen in this case. The mother used a nonviolent gesture of authority
Hitting is nonviolent???? I'd laugh if it weren't so pathetic that there are a lot of people who think this way. The only time hitting is acceptable is in self-defense, and there is never a need to use self-defense against a child.

Hitting is the very essence of violence.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Quote:
You think hitting is wrong. That does not make hitting wrong. Hitting for the purpose of doing bodily harm is wrong. That did not happen in this case. The mother used a nonviolent gesture of authority to control a child who (like most adults) gets driven to an unreasonable level of exasperation by the experience of commercial air flight.

The child's routine was horribly disrupted by the travel schedule, the child was beyond a point at which the customary discipline would work, and the parents felt driven to employ alternate methods in an environment where few alternatives are available, to resolve a highly unusual discipline situation.

How easy it is for all of us to say "I would have done it better". You know almost nothing about what happened, except what you read in a news media that consistently makes it its (highly profitable) business to distort every incident in in the most inflammatory and accusatory way possible.
Are you trying to say that the actions of this mom slapping her baby across the face was nonviolent? Whatever happened to redirecting a child that isn't capable of fully reasoning or is having a meltdown? How many other children traveling have schedules disrupted? Is slapping the face the alternate method you're suggesting? To me, that's abuse!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:37 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Quote:

Some children who are NOT autistic are capable of behaving in exasperating ways, and training yourself to treat them as though they are autistic would be misdirected and counterproductive in the long run and probably seriously damage the child.

The child's routine was horribly disrupted by the travel schedule, the child was beyond a point at which the customary discipline would work, and the parents felt driven to employ alternate methods in an environment where few alternatives are available, to resolve a highly unusual discipline situation.

How easy it is for all of us to say "I would have done it better". You know almost nothing about what happened, except what you read in a news media that consistently makes it its (highly profitable) business to distort every incident in in the most inflammatory and accusatory way possible.
I agree 100%.
First, I would have NEVER handed my child over to ANYONE for ANY reason.

Secondly, upon landing at their destination, the first call I made would have been to an attorney to sue the pants off the airline AND the b*tch who took the baby and called the police.

I have never sued anyone for anything, but in this case, I wouldn't hesitate to take them for everything they have.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I agree 100%.
First, I would have NEVER handed my child over to ANYONE for ANY reason.

Secondly, upon landing at their destination, the first call I made would have been to an attorney to sue the pants off the airline AND the b*tch who took the baby and called the police.

I have never sued anyone for anything, but in this case, I wouldn't hesitate to take them for everything they have.
And you would have lost your case. I think the flight attendant reacted admirably to protect one of her passengers and diffuse a potentially nastier situation. She did not forcibly take the child, she offered to take the baby. BIG difference. The mother lost control, not the flight attendant.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think the flight attendant reacted admirably to protect one of her passengers and diffuse a potentially nastier situation.
This is the third time this week I've seen this word used incorrectly on CD forums.

defuse
— verb
1. to remove the triggering device of (a bomb, etc)
2. to remove the cause of tension from (a crisis, etc)

diffuse
–verb
1. to pour out and spread, as a fluid.
2. to spread or scatter widely or thinly; disseminate.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:35 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
Quote:
Some children who are NOT autistic are capable of behaving in exasperating ways, and training yourself to treat them as though they are autistic would be misdirected and counterproductive in the long run and probably seriously damage the child.
Sorry, if your child is reacting violently to you, no matter why (and BTW, I didn't just mention autism, I did mention other conditions like Reactive-Attachment Disorder), you learn to hold them so that they can no longer hurt you and you are not hurting that child. I HAVE a child, I TEACH. I have taught everything from kindergarten to high school and have volunteered with preschoolers. I had a student last year that was severe ADHD due to Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. I've been there and done that.

Slapping a child to stop him/her from kicking you is wrong. Holding their legs so that they can no longer hit you won't hurt them.

I wonder if this child was a lap child and didn't have their own seat, I wonder if that was the case that if the child did have his/her own seat the child wouldn't have been so violent.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:49 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And you would have lost your case. I think the flight attendant reacted admirably to protect one of her passengers and diffuse a potentially nastier situation. She did not forcibly take the child, she offered to take the baby. BIG difference. The mother lost control, not the flight attendant.
Are you an authority on law, like a judge? I doubt it. A judge is the only person who could determine whether the stewardess overstepped her job title.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:51 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Looks like there are different variations of the same story. I don't trust the media to provide all the facts (nor do I trust people who hang on to their every word). Based on what I have read so far, if it's true, slapping a 13 month old across the face is unnecessary, especially considering (as someone else mentioned), the change in the environment and the schedule for that baby. I don't know what else would have worked or what I would have done instead, but I don't agree with what she did.

I'd like to think that I would have never found myself in that situation, but as much as we complain that people don't step in like they should, some people over do it. I don't know what category that flight attendant fits in, but if the latter is the case, a phone call from my attorney would be in order.....after a public verbal execution for going there with my child.

If the father is complaining that this is a problem, then there may be an actual threat.

In general, I am not opposed to a good spanking. I really believe there are kids who need it badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting