Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
over 1.5 billion dollers was issued last year from the HPV fund to damadged victims and families. Vaers has over 14,015 reports of adverse reactions to Gardasil.
Vaers has collected over 14,015 unconfirmed, unverified, and unvalidated reports of what the people reporting assumed to be adverse reactions to Gardasil.

Vaers has 3 different pages of disclaimers that you have to click through, including one page that you have to click an agreement that you actually read, before it'll link you to the actual download of the data itself.

On all three pages, it emphasizes that these reports are -not- confirmed, -not- validated, do -not- prove that the vaccines are the actual cause of the reactions, and do -not- prove that the reactions are even reactions.

In other words, if someone gets a Gardasil vaccine, and catches a cold the next day, they might have reported this as a reaction to the vaccine. When in fact, they simply caught a cold, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the vaccine at all.

Also, what "HPV fund" are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 01:35 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
it's my opinion nicole, you should vaccinate, i mean if your kid drops dead or seizes for a bit, , she ?he will be just like the other 400 seriously damadged girls, but at least you could take consolation knowing that you did what was right for you
Quote:
all in your head
The second quote sums up the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I didn't get my kids this because I think it gives people a false sense of security that they can have all the unprotected sex they want.
You shouldn't let them get sex education either. It will give them the notion that one day they might actually have sex. That would be bad, right?

Quote:
over 1.5 billion dollers was issued last year from the HPV fund to damadged victims and families. Vaers has over 14,015 reports of adverse reactions to Gardasil.
Unfiltered data is meaningless no matter how much you'd like to believe to the contrary.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
My wife and I have fully vaccinated our kids to schedule (slightly modified by our pediatrician, but really just to spread the shots out a little bit). We chose not to give our kids the H1N1 vaccine and they are still a good amount of time off from being in the gardisil camp, but we wouldn't give it to them now if they were.

My wife was a manager in a doctors office until she became a SAHM. She worked for a pretty good Internal Medicine doctor. His general advice was not to take a vaccine until it had been on the market for at least 18 months and for things that are ultimately preventable like HPV, to give it at least a few years before considering it. My wife and the doctor she worked for are by no means experts, but it makes sense to me.

I'm not against giving it to my kids, but even if they were old enough now to get it, I would still wait a little while longer to see what happens. This is especially important in people who have underlying conditions like asthma, certain allergies, heart defects, etc. When they test, they don't test it for everyone with every combo and the time you wait while it is in the general population will give you time to see if there are reactions within those subgroups.
Don't like to put down docs, but that guy/gal is wrong. By the time a vaccine is approved, it has undergone much testing. In the few years you wait, you/your child could get HPV disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have 2 8 year old daughters and I will not be vacinating them with gardisil. While it does protect from some cervical cancers, not all of them are covered. Added to that I have personal experience with the side effects.

We have dear neighbors, one of whom is a Doctor and the other a nurse. To be proactive they got the shots for their 16 year old daughter who was not yet sexual active but on the brink. The poor girl suffered all the possible side effects and some more severely than others. She had to start school late and had trouble catching up because of her medical issues.

The dr. father is full of guilt. He said d"I should have given it more personal research myself or at the very least waited till more studies had been done."

Together this couple did a great deal of research and gave it to their family doctor. She in turn agreed not enough was known about it and stopped giving the shots in her practice.

I'm a realist and I don't think my little darlings will remain virgins till they get married (and even if they did their partners may be carriers) but I am already talking about puberty, birthcontrol and possitive body image to help them be aware of the dangers of unprotected sex. I will continue to have open discussions with them and until this rx has been proven to be safe I will not get these shots for my daughters.
First of all, Gardasil protects against 4 types of HPV; that's protection against 4 more than being unimmunized. Secondly, you don't say what side effects this girl had. I've given hundreds of Gardasil shots, and I've never heard of these SEs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
No Gardasil here. I have an 18 y.o. daughter and a 13 y.o. son. Nope. Never. We also don't do the flu vaccines. Now they've had all the other vaccinations but that's just not been around for a while.
I think it's vaccine overload. I never needed it. Why should they?
I don't understand that reasoning. There were no immunizations against Hib, MMR or chickenpox when I was a kid, but I got the IZs for my own kids. I'm all for protecting them as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There was some press coverage about Gardasil in older patients. IIRC, it hasn't been approved for use in older adults. I think I remember that they did extend the age somewhat though. You'd have to check on that. Really doesn't matter though, like the previous poster said if you're in a monogamous long-term relationship with someone who tests negative, there won't be any benefit to it anyway.
It is approved for ages 9-26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I didn't get my kids this because I think it gives people a false sense of security that they can have all the unprotected sex they want.
The idea is to get it for them before they are sexually active, so that when they do become active, they are protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I probably wouldn't vaccinate a boy, but I would give it more thought if he wasn't circumcised. Gardisil does not protect against all strains of sexually transmitted HPV so you are not really getting the peace of mind that the vaccine seems to advertise.

Girls are another story. That's a completely personal decision but I wouldn't allow myself to be too swayed by internet forums. Here's a link to a report from the CDC: CDC - Health Concerns Following HPV - Vaccine Safety There have been complications reported with the Gardisil vaccine but they do not appear to be significantly more common than any other vaccine and no one has been able to establish a definite causal link. I think we hear a lot more about this vaccine because of its controversial nature and the political involvement it has been subject to.
See above re: the advantages of being protected against 4 strains rather than none. I think this vaccine is controversial because:

Every new vaccine causes controversy when it is introduced.

This vaccine has sexual overtones.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-29-2010 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: formatting

Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
My 19 year old dd never got the vaccine. Some of her friends got it and were very sick afterwards. When we were given the vaccine info, the side effects listed were rather troubling, like fainting. In the beginning our gynocologist was pushing it, but now she's no longer doing that, and says that a lot of her patients are refusing it due to concerns. Overall, we were not comfortable with it then, and still aren't. Last year I saw Dr. Tim Johnson on GMA say he wouldn't recommend the vaccine due to the side-effects. FTR, I'm NOT saying young girls and young women shouldn't be vaccinated, I'm simply saying that parents need to weigh the risks, and there ARE risks, same as with any vaccine. Parents need to educate themselves.

Dr. Tim Answers Your Gardasil Questions - ABC News

While side effects from the vaccine appear to be rare, the shot has been associated with effects ranging from fainting and nausea to life-threatening blood clots and other more severe complications.
In his entry, Johnson noted that he could not recommend that all girls and young women in the eligible age range for the shot get vaccinated based on what researchers currently know about the vaccine's risk profile.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CancerP...ory?id=8356717

A government report released Tuesday raises new questions about the safety of the cervical cancer vaccine Gardasil. The vaccine has been linked to 32 unconfirmed deaths and shows higher incidences of fainting and blood clots than other vaccines.

"Although the number of serious adverse events is small and rare, they are real and cannot be overlooked or dismissed without disclosing the possibility to all other possible vaccine recipients," said Dr. Diane Harper, director of the Gynecologic Cancer Prevention Research Group at University of Missouri. "The rate of serious adverse events is greater than the incidence rate of cervical cancer."

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...302/7/795?home

[SIZE=2] First, there are more than 100 different types of HPV and at least 15 of them are oncogenic. The current vaccines target only 2 oncogenic strains: HPV-16 and HPV-18. Second, the relationship between infection at a young age and development of cancer 20 to 40 years later is not known. HPV is the most prevalent sexually transmitted infection, with an estimated 79% infection rate over a lifetime5-6 The virus does not appear to be very harmful because almost all HPV infections are cleared by the immune system.7-8 In a few women, infection persists and some women may develop precancerous cervical lesions and eventually cervical cancer. It is currently impossible to predict in which women this will occur and why. Likewise, it is impossible to predict exactly what effect vaccination of young girls and women will have on the incidence of cervical cancer 20 to 40 years from now. The true effect of the vaccine can be determined only through clinical trials and long-term follow-up.[/SIZE]

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 09-29-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 12:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
^^^^ Thanks for the good information.

We have obtained all the recommended childhood vaccinations for our daughter and get her a flu shot every year, but at this point I don't plan on having her receive the Gardasil vaccination because I think the risks outweigh the benefits.

As long as she gets regular gyno exams and pap smears she can protect herself against cervical cancer. I'll do my best to educate her about the importance of those things.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
As long as she gets regular gyno exams and pap smears she can protect herself against cervical cancer. I'll do my best to educate her about the importance of those things.
Oh, no she won't. Paps are "early detection" not prevention. Having a doc scrape your cervix does not prevent cancer.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, no she won't. Paps are "early detection" not prevention. Having a doc scrape your cervix does not prevent cancer.
I know that paps don't prevent the cancer, but the if they reveal abnormal cells, the cells can be removed.

I carry HPV and had abnormal paps in the late 80's and had cryosurgery on my cervix with 6 mo. followups for 2 years and annually after that. I haven't had any further problems.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I know that paps don't prevent the cancer, but the if they reveal abnormal cells, the cells can be removed.

I carry HPV and had abnormal paps in the late 80's and had cryosurgery on my cervix with 6 mo. followups for 2 years and annually after that. I haven't had any further problems.
Wouldn't it be easier just to prevent it in the first place?

Old 09-29-2010, 02:44 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
HPV Fund??

Seriously...where do you come up with this stuff?

Old 09-29-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wouldn't it be easier just to prevent it in the first place?
Well, based on what I've read, I'm not sure that you can say that the vaccine will prevent cervical cancer. It acts against some forms of HPV but is not a guarantee that you won't get cancer. Nor does contracting HPV mean that you will necessarily get cervical cancer. Some 70+% of people walking around carry the virus but 70% of the population does not get cervical cancer.

Like all vaccines, Gardasil carries risks for side effects. With other vaccines, as parents we've decided that the benefits outweigh the risks. With Gardasil we're not convinced of that. Maybe we'll change our mind in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting