Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:20 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,822,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I suppose its a matter of chosing your battles. If he wants to use Axe, perhaps we should, as long as he's using a doedorant. but he still thinks its a substitute for a shower. If we could convince him its to be used after showering, not as a substitute, I guess I would allow him to use Axe. After all, he's reaching the age where he wants to make his own decisions, and in the greater schemeof things, choice of deodorant isn't a big deal. Except,I can't stand that smell, I just about gag on it, and really feel he is setting himself up for social ridicule going around smelling like that.
I don't like Axe, but my DS 14 LOVES it. I doubt he would be ridiculed for smelling like Axe as so many boys that age like it.

Would he use the Axe stick? That doesn't smell as strongly and it is harder for boys to use to much of it compared to the spray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM

2,713 posts, read 5,341,013 times
How about telling him (at least on weekends) "You are not leaving this house until you take a shower"? On school nights "You are not playing xbox [or doing his favorite activity of choice] until you take a shower?"

Old 08-23-2010, 05:09 PM

623 posts, read 1,598,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Now that's an idea!

First, we're on a tight budget, every little expense is calculated, its hard for me to spring for $5 body wash when we can get 10 bars of cheap soap for the same amount. Also, he wastes so much, a bottle lasts about 1-2 showers,he doesn't get it. He thinks if it comes in a unit, say one bottle, then one bottle is what he's supposed to use.

But perhaps we could buy the small gift type bottles then refill them from the bigger ones so he doesn't have so much to waste at once? At any rate, it would keep him from wasting his sister's products if he felt he had his very own.

At least that way he would shower, however, that compounds the odor problem. Well, perhaps a kid smelling like Axe is better than a kid stinking of BO!
This seems a little strange? He uses an entire bottle of body wash in 1 to 2 showers? He is 13 right?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,267,792 times
Why not 'cut' the axe? Mix 1/3 bottle of axe with 2/3 cheap not so potent smelling stuff.... even unscented so that the to won't clash.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,317,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
This seems a little strange? He uses an entire bottle of body wash in 1 to 2 showers? He is 13 right?

He plays with it, loves to make "bubble baths'. I can't follow him in the shower to monitor his use, if I buy larger bottles of whatever to save he just goes through them quicker. That's why I buy the cheapest stuff possible, not what he "likes".

I've tried parceling it out, just some in a small bottle, but that stuff usually has a lid you can't take off, making it all but impossible to transfer bottles, also, impossible to dilute, unless you want to do it a drop at a time.

Sorry, I'm using the cheapest stuff available, like VO5 shampoo on sale for 69 cents, with a 25 cent coupon, so 44 cents for a bottle of shampoo then I dilute that or use it sparingly. So, I'm not paying $8 for a bottle of AXE so he can "smell like a man".

Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 PM

970 posts, read 2,205,126 times
Tell him if he wants the Axe deodorant he has to shower. No shower = he gets to use the cheap stuff. It won't matter at some point because he will start showering on his own. No guy wants to be the stinky guy at school, especially when girls start to notice.

If he wastes shampoo/soap I wouldn't buy him special stuff. There is no point if he goes through it at a ridiculous pace.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 PM

852 posts, read 1,361,518 times
I wouldn't buy the AXE, especially if it makes you sick or if you find the smell overpowering. The household shouldn't revolve around the whims of a 13 y.o. boy. Tell him to shower daily or prepare to never leave the house (or his room, if it's that bad). If he chooses not to take care of his body, he also chooses not to expose others to his odor. Why negotiate or bribe? Personal hygiene isn't optional.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,111,316 times
Using the AXE deodorant is no more overpowering then any other deodorant on the market but the body wash, body sprays are very overpowering. Get him some Axe deodorant and skip the body wash and the problem is solved.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:32 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,318,290 times
Buy him a regular white bar of soap and tell him he has to use that to shower. Then let him use whatever deodorant he wants. If he refuses to shower then you take something away that he values the most.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,849,877 times
You need to flat out tell him he smells like a filthy pig and/or have some teen girls tell him he smells disgusting. Its funny these teen boys think Axe will get them a girlfriend. I swear I've never smelled Axe on a grown man.

Give him some manly bodywash and some stick deodorant. Dove Mens bodywash smells good, sporty but not overpowering and Arm & Hammer antiperspirant in Active Sport scent is good for cutting odor.

He seriously needs to learn good hygiene. I've worked at places that had to send people home until they bathed and washed their hair. If he's that against daily bathing I would seriously consider he might have a mental or developmental disorder. A lot of autistic people have issues with bathing. If all else fails tell him if he doesn't clean up his act you will hold him down and shave his armpits so at least less bodyhair will cut down on the odor issue. That should scare him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting