Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 06:00 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
LL Bean and Lands End backpacks actually are pretty reasonably priced. We get them for about 30 bucks, and they're guaranteed forever.
My kids love the Jansport backpacks... so when they go on sale we go shopping! They also are worth the money because they last many years.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
When one of my sons went to preschool they asked for a water bottle but never sent it home with him. I finally had to start asking for it because they were just refilling it over and over (even the kids with the disposable bottles were getting theirs refilled) from the drinking water tap. Ewwwwwwww.
Why Ewwwww. There is absolutely nothing wrong with most tap water. The germs are NOT from the water if you don't touch the bottle to the actual metal. Admittedly the faucet might be germy and if a child drinks from the water fountain and touches it with his mouth, he might get some germs.

OTOH, kids should really be exposed to germs. The Japanese are obsessed with a *war on germs* and their physicians are trying to tell them to relax.

Yes, There's Such a Thing as Too Clean - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Researchers at the University of Arizona reported last week in The New England Journal of Medicine that children who were exposed early to common household germs and infections were less likely to develop asthma and wheezing by the time they turned 6. Forget about protecting kids from germs: those who had older siblings or attended day care before the age of 6 months -- both prime sources of filth and infection -- were healthier than the ones who did not.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Ewww, because preschool kids aren't really likely to wash their waterbottles out every once in a blue moon, but they -are- likely to add a little saliva to the water (it's called backspit) in the bottle..

unwashed bottles + tapwater + repeated over time = bacteria and really nasty-stanky water.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Is the calculator a US thing or a new thing because I don't rememeber ever having to buy a graphing calculator when I was in HS and I took calculus.
I don't know. I never went to school in another country. We hardly ever used ours, but we had to get them in Algebra 2 for that class and those above it. I think I really only used it in Algebra 2.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Yes, the headphones are for computer class. LL Bean and Lands End backpacks actually are pretty reasonably priced. We get them for about 30 bucks, and they're guaranteed forever.
Wow. The school doesn't even have its own headphones? That's crazy. They have them out here.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Wow. The school doesn't even have its own headphones? That's crazy. They have them out here.
They school started making kids supply their own headphones a few years ago after a lice outbreak. I don't mind. We've been using the Jet Blue headphones for years, and the only time I had to buy a set, I found them at the dollar store. I don't know why we never get them back. I think the computer teacher is just forgetful about it, but he's an attractive and well-liked young man, so nobody complains.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:50 AM

143 posts, read 374,524 times
I never needed headphones for our computer labs ... the sound was just disabled on all the computers except the teacher's. If we needed to hear something, s/he would play it.

But then, I graduated from high school six years ago.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:39 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Count me amongst the "Ewww!" people regarding the water bottles. Mouths are absolutely full of germs! I wash our water bottles and lids everyday.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Why Ewwwww. There is absolutely nothing wrong with most tap water. The germs are NOT from the water if you don't touch the bottle to the actual metal. Admittedly the faucet might be germy and if a child drinks from the water fountain and touches it with his mouth, he might get some germs.

OTOH, kids should really be exposed to germs. The Japanese are obsessed with a *war on germs* and their physicians are trying to tell them to relax.

Yes, There's Such a Thing as Too Clean - NYTimes.com
Eww because the bottles were not being washed.

Germy mouths, backwash, biofilm development. Gotta scrub the bottles every so often. 180 days of the same water bottle without washing it is gross IMO. Esp if it is one that is not supposed to be reused over and over.

We fill our reusable bottles with tap water but we wash the bottles frequently.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:37 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Eww because the bottles were not being washed.

Germy mouths, backwash, biofilm development. Gotta scrub the bottles every so often. 180 days of the same water bottle without washing it is gross IMO. Esp if it is one that is not supposed to be reused over and over.

We fill our reusable bottles with tap water but we wash the bottles frequently.
Yeah, we wash our bottles too. I guess the kids should take them home to clean them. I do think that refilling them with tap water is ok though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting