Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:10 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times

Advertisements

I recently bought both kids all needed school supplies, and some new clothes. I got them each some wardrobe basics, like pants, shirts, shoes, underwear, after all, they have to wear something.

Then, I happened to find some really cute tops for dd and printed tees for ds. they were a bit more than I would have cared to pay, but they were so nice I couldn't pass them up. I told them they could earn them, by doing household chores, ie, mow the lawn, mop the floor, scrub the tub. They scream that's not fair. I agreed---they should do such chores for nothing, see, now they get some nice duds for a little work!

Unfair---agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 04:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Did you buy the clothes, give them to the kids and then tell them they'd have some extra chores to do or were you shopping with them, they saw clothes they wanted and you gave them the option? Big difference IMO. If they don't want the clothes just return them. Put the extra money toward lunches.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
they were a bit more than I would have cared to pay, but they were so nice I couldn't pass them up.
That's where you made your mistake. Deciding to purchase them because they were "cute" and "nice". You should be making your purchases because they're TOO CHEAP to pass up. Remember: You're buying Axe now!

Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,250 times
To me parents choose the clothes and pay for the clothes.

Kids do some chores because they are part of the family and they also get some pocket money because they are part of the family. They can earn extra pocket money by doing extra chores. They can spend the poket money on pretty much whatever they want.

I do not agree with buying some nice clothes and then telling the kids after you have done it that they have to earn them. I think that is teasing and to a degree abdicating what I believe is the parents responsibility.

I could understand making an agreement with a kid that if they want something expensive that if they do extra chores then they can have the expensive thing. In the case of girls maybe a fancy ball gown or something. I doubt if boys would generally care to enter such a deal. For a motor bike maybe. Either way, the deal should be struck before any action is taken.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:25 PM

No, I bought them on impulse. Just something extra, but like you said, I'm now budgeting for Axe, can't go too overboard.

I didn't give them to them, then ask for chores, I showed them the clothes, then suggested the do some extra chores incompensation for them.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Did you buy the clothes, give them to the kids and then tell them they'd have some extra chores to do or were you shopping with them, they saw clothes they wanted and you gave them the option? Big difference IMO. If they don't want the clothes just return them. Put the extra money toward lunches.
I agree. They shouldn't have to work for something they didn't ask for in the first place.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's where you made your mistake. Deciding to purchase them because they were "cute" and "nice". You should be making your purchases because they're TOO CHEAP to pass up. Remember: You're buying Axe now!
and not able to pay for school lunches, don't forget.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
To me parents choose the clothes and pay for the clothes.

Kids do some chores because they are part of the family and they also get some pocket money because they are part of the family. They can earn extra pocket money by doing extra chores. They can spend the poket money on pretty much whatever they want.

I do not agree with buying some nice clothes and then telling the kids after you have done it that they have to earn them. I think that is teasing and to a degree abdicating what I believe is the parents responsibility.

I could understand making an agreement with a kid that if they want something expensive that if they do extra chores then they can have the expensive thing. In the case of girls maybe a fancy ball gown or something. I doubt if boys would generally care to enter such a deal. For a motor bike maybe. Either way, the deal should be struck before any action is taken.

I'm not abdicating any responsibility. Like I said, we bought them a basic wardrobe, and a lot more than many kids get. It was just some little extras I thought they'd like,nothing I'm under any obligation to buy, so how am I abdicating any responsibility?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I agree. They shouldn't have to work for something they didn't ask for in the first place.
Especially when you're asking on another thread about qualifying for free or reduced lunches.

If you can't afford to feed your own children lunches, then you certainly can't afford to buy them extra clothes they don't need on impulse.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:30 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,250 times
A man pays two dollars for something worth a dollar that he needs.
A woman pays a dollar for for something worth two dollars that she doesn't need.

Last edited by aidxen; 08-25-2010 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Changed dollars to dollar in first line. Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting