Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:22 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
People who get sick often as adults usually have bad habits or a low immune system.

Always wash your hands before touching your face (eyes, mouth, nose) or eating food.

If it's your immune system, see your doctor for ways to strenthen it.

I wouldn't say I get sick a lot. But I definitely notice somethings I just get. I had strep 12 times as a kid. Im kind of prone to sore throats.

As for hand washing, I had that drilled into my head from a very young age. My mom doesn't do purell. Just hand washing. I remember every day when we got home from school it was straight to the bathroom before anyone did anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 01:19 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,359,496 times
By 4th and 5th grade it was much better. Those preschool/early elementary school years were tough with one kid getting a virus, passing it to the other, and then to me. Ugh. Haven't had that happen in years....thank goodness!

Old 08-29-2010, 01:48 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Computer keyboards are just nasty. Have you ever looked really closely at one. BLECHHHHHH. Why is there no vomit emoticon?
The best way to stay sickness free is to wash your hands
often with very warm water. Germs are everywhere.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:53 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,170 times
By first grade, my girls were rarely getting sick anymore. In fact, my first grader (going into second) only missed three days of school all year last year. My fourth grader missed one. Preschool and kindergarten are the worst. Their immune systems are a little more sturdy after that. I'm not one who worries about germs on everything either. My girls drink from the water fountains, and we don't use hand sanitizer. We have taught them to wash their hands before they eat, but I'm betting they aren't doing that at school.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:56 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I think mine were in high school before they stopped bringing home all the crap they caught at school . I think head lice finally ended in 6th grade and the flu bugs and viruses finally ended in high school .I was so grateful that all of the germs finally ended and making all of us sick .

Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
My kids went to daycare (oh, the horrors!), and they were in constantly that petrie dish of sicknesses from very young age. By the time they were 4 or 5, their immune systems were already very strong, so they rarely missed school/had the flu bug.

For non-daycare kids, I'd say it probably gets better after second or third grade.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
when they are little you worry about colds, flu, head lice. Then they get older and you factor in mono, meningitis and god forbid, stds.

Being a parent means there is always some "bug" to worry about.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
Quote:
I know it might be a little hard to remember but at around what age/grade did your kids stop bringing home from school all the bugs (viruses, flus etc) known to humanity?
The school always sends a letter home advising parents to keep their sick children at home but there are always some who insist on sending them anyways.
Oh my older son was living at home till 21 and he was STILL bringing every bug home which then was passed around the house. He's a type 1 diabetic so maybe has a bit less of a super immune system and doesn't eat like he should. My younger son who is 17 never really brought anything home.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
I know it might be a little hard to remember but at around what age/grade did your kids stop bringing home from school all the bugs (viruses, flus etc) known to humanity?
The school always sends a letter home advising parents to keep their sick children at home but there are always some who insist on sending them anyways.
They are always going to catch things. In my experience it depends on when they START going to school and bringing germs home. The first year seems to be the worst. That could be day care, preschool, or kindergarten. It also starts over again when you move to a new place.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,655 times
My kids were sick all the time in Kindergarten & 1st grade. It got a little better each year. By 4th grade they were hardly missing any school. I think it's because all the kids are better about washing their hands & covering their mouth when they cough/sneeze.

IMO the most important thing is that kids get enough sleep!! Mine complain about having earlier bedtimes than their friends, but mine are sick a lot less than their friends are, too.

My kids also get a flu shot every fall. Last year they were literally the only ones of all their friends that did not miss 4 days to a week of school because of the flu. I think the flu shot + enough sleep + good hand washing = less illness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting