Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
It also starts over again when you move to a new place.
That could be allergies. Allergy regions change throughout the country.

Here's an interactive map of the country showing the various allergy regions.

Click on a region to read more about the allergies in each part of the country.

http://www.clarinex.com/application?namespace=main&event=content_display&e vent_input=allergensbyregion (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:52 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Our kids really didn't get sick all that often even in the elementary years. We never went overboard with hand sanitizer and all that stuff so they were able to develop an immune system to fight off most stuff. If they had just a simple cold, they still went to school, as did pretty much everyone else. They stayed home if they had a fever or were vomiting-as most schools require. They would maybe stay home once or twice/year early on and now that they are in high school they don't really stay home at all.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
A simple cold could always end up developing into an ear infection, chest infection etc. I don't agree with parents sending kids to school when they have colds. That is the whole problem right there. Really. Parents need to keep their kids at home when they are obviously sick. If not they just end up infecting everyone around them.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:15 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
Kids can spred viruses, it's true - but the school staff can, too. And since it's so complicated to take days off, then they go to work even if they are not very well. Being a teacher myself, I can tell you I often got sick, and it was not always because of my students (ages 15-20, by the way - and often sick, too!)

Old 09-01-2010, 08:04 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
A simple cold could always end up developing into an ear infection, chest infection etc. I don't agree with parents sending kids to school when they have colds. That is the whole problem right there. Really. Parents need to keep their kids at home when they are obviously sick. If not they just end up infecting everyone around them.
This is true, but if you keep your kid home every time they have a simple cold, they would miss a lot of school. Especially in Elementary school when they get a lot of small colds. If they have a bad cold or a fever, that is a different story - they should stay home.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:04 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That could be allergies. Allergy regions change throughout the country.

Here's an interactive map of the country showing the various allergy regions.

Click on a region to read more about the allergies in each part of the country.

Allergens by Geographical Region (http://www.clarinex.com/application?namespace=main&event=content_display&e vent_input=allergensbyregion - broken link)
it's probably both. I never had strep in my life until we moved to Denver. I had it, and my kids have had it multiple times. After numerous doctor visits, the doc said this happens when you move to a new place. Different stains of things.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
it's probably both. I never had strep in my life until we moved to Denver. I had it, and my kids have had it multiple times. After numerous doctor visits, the doc said this happens when you move to a new place. Different stains of things.
Yeah. It also can happen, to a lesser extent, when they change schools.

And then of course when they're old enough for more personal contact, there're the endless rounds of Mono...

Old 09-01-2010, 04:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
That all sounds well and good but the fact is, you can't always stay home for every little sniffle that comes your way. You'd never get a full year of school in. Not to mention, being exposed to things does actually build up ones immune system. I'd rather my kids picked up a little here and there and by the time they are in high school, college and working, they won't be sick too much. Now obviously, if kids are truly sick (fever, vomiting etc) then they need to be home but I wouldn't keep a child home for a run of the mill cold. Nor would I expect anyone else to.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
I know it might be a little hard to remember but at around what age/grade did your kids stop bringing home from school all the bugs (viruses, flus etc) known to humanity?
The school always sends a letter home advising parents to keep their sick children at home but there are always some who insist on sending them anyways.
Generally they stop getting sick from various viruses and bacteria once they've built up their immunity of them.

Some kids are exposed to siblings, siblings' friends, cousins, kids at day care, etc and get exposed to everything at a younger age and so have their immune systems built up in the early years. Others are still catching viruses in their teen years.

Plus some kids are more sickly and will never have very strong immune systems even into adulthood.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
But that problem is more in the individual. Some kids catch a cold and it's nothing. They might sneeze and cough a little but never get pneumonia or ear infections from a common cold. Another kid with the same virus might end up severely ill - but you can't keep the healthy kids home for 2 weeks just because they sneezed once and the weaker kids will end up very ill.

Also viruses are shed in larger numbers before the symptoms appear. The symptoms of a cold are the body's response to the virus kicking in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting