Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Maybe instead of forcing car manufacturers to install something in a car (that will raise prices) because some parents are distracted, maybe we should be doing something about the distracted parents.

How distracted and self involved have people gotten that they need a reminder they have a child in the car. Really?

At some point people need to take responsibility and the government not have to keep stepping in to save everyone from themselves.
Exactly.!

It is a continuation of the government taking responsibility where people should be being responsible for their own actions. It is a tragedy when a child or adult dies but the flip side of laws that seek to make this sort of protection is the dis empowerment of people. The power of making a decision has been transferred from the individual to the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 01:12 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
It's simple. Just put your purse, briefcase, lunch bag, laptop, whatever in the back seat with the kid. Chances are, you won't forget those things.

Or simply just make it a regular habit to check the back seat before walking away from the car. Honestly, it's not that hard.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM

268 posts, read 454,029 times
I read an article recently about a guy who was arrested for leaving his two children in the car for 4 or 5 hours while he was in a topless bar.

More effective use of birth control should be a priority, not stickers. Sometimes I wish people would have to pass a background check before conceiving. At the very least people should be required to do parenting classes before having children.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I wouldn't buy it. Too expensive.
Wow, a child's life is not worth $30.00?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:11 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Wow, a child's life is not worth $30.00?

I have never forgotten my kids. I am a SAHM so whenever I go somewhere without them I keep checking the rear-view mirror because it is my reflex.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm sorry you went through that and it does sound stressful. But in all honesty, if you were that foggy, should you have been operating a motor vehicle in the first place?

Or if someone is over-medicated or under- rested. They are putting their child at risk driving in general if driving - not just maybe accidentally leaving them in a hot car.
Usually people IN a fog like that don't think, Oh I shouldn't drive the car...being in a fog clouds your decision making.

Its like drinking, if you are drunk enough you really aren't in control of yourself.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Usually people IN a fog like that don't think, Oh I shouldn't drive the car...being in a fog clouds your decision making.

Its like drinking, if you are drunk enough you really aren't in control of yourself.
jkcoop was addressing me, and I responded for myself (read the thread). You don't need to respond for me, and you certainly couldn't have known what or how I was thinking or whether or not my decision-making was clouded. It wasn't, but you know, sweetie, the grown-ups have jobs and mortgages and responsibilities like buying groceries to prepare meals for our children because we're not freeloaders who whine to our mommies when we don't like our dinners.

And the brain fog and lack of focus that characterizes hypothyroidism is not a da**ed thing like being drunk. Are you pretending to be an endocrinologist now? What a utterly stupid thing to say.

The words you're looking for are "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have spoken out of ignorance."

Yes, now go and complain about how everyone is oh so mean to you, as if you don't bring it upon yourself.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
It would save more lives if the car could shutdwon and say their is a idot at the wheel really. God what people want cars to do now days then complain of the cost involved.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
jkcoop was addressing me, and I responded for myself (read the thread). You don't need to respond for me, and you certainly couldn't have known what or how I was thinking or whether or not my decision-making was clouded. It wasn't, but you know, sweetie, the grown-ups have jobs and mortgages and responsibilities like buying groceries to prepare meals for our children because we're not freeloaders who whine to our mommies when we don't like our dinners.

And the brain fog and lack of focus that characterizes hypothyroidism is not a da**ed thing like being drunk. Are you pretending to be an endocrinologist now? What a utterly stupid thing to say.

The words you're looking for are "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have spoken out of ignorance."

Yes, now go and complain about how everyone is oh so mean to you, as if you don't bring it upon yourself.
That was uncalled for.

She was contributing just like everyone else. It isn't up to you to dictate which posts people respond to, right or wrong.

The words you're looking for are "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have jumped all over you just because I'm over sensitive."

Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
I agree with others. The government is involved in way too much of our lives now. They don't need to have more excuses to be.

The more people rely on systems like what is suggested, the more likely the death rate will increase dramatically in cars. If, for some reason, the alarm doesn't work or is broken or isn't set just right, and a parent depends on it to remind, the chances of more children roasting in cars will be much greater.

There has to be some point when adults take responsibility for themselves and their own children. The more the responsibility is put on technology or others, the less responsible people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting