Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
Well I worry about my son being nerdy, small and being bullied. He is very sensitive and not like your typical rough/tumble boy. That really concerns me especially in this day and age of bullying on all levels (phones, internet and in person).

As far as gay-wouldn't bother me in the least with the exception of the bullying or getting picked on. I have several friends that are gay and lesbian and seem to be quite successful and happy.
I agree. I honestly wouldn't care if my son/daughter turned out to be gay, but I would be fearful of the fact that they might get picked on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
My son is only 2. But, I'm genuinely fearful that he'll be gay. I'm fearful of a lot of things... maybe he'll be a serial killer, maybe he'll be an alcoholic... etc. But my fear of him being gay is just odd, I think. I mean really, would it change anything? No, not really. Would it be a problem for me if he was gay? No. But I still worry about it. Is that weird? Although I have no problem with gays, does this make me homophobic? Haha, I think so.

Anyway, any thoughts? Is this kind of fear normal for a dad? And am I allowed to have this fear?

Thanks
If you don't get your worries under control, you are going to drive your son nuts as he is growing up. He is gonna turn into a gay, alcoholic serial killer. Get your fears under control!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 PM

556 posts, read 798,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Gosh and I am worried my 5 year old will never learn how to tie her shoes or like vegetables....
I don't know which of us is crazier. I mean, rationally, if ya think about it, mental/emotional issues are somewhat genetic, so a real worry and something you can't do much about. Drug use, again, something you as a parent can't really control. I haven't met an adult yet that can't tie their shoes or doesn't eat a single veggie

So who's worse, me for worrying about things out of my control, or you for worrying about things that are inevitable?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
So who's worse, me for worrying about things out of my control, or you for worrying about things that are inevitable?
You're both wasting your time.

Quote:
It makes no sense to worry about things you have no control over because there's nothing you can do about them, and why worry about things you do control? The activity of worrying keeps you immobilized.
Quote:
Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere.
Quote:
Worry is a complete cycle of inefficient thought revolving about a pivot of fear.
Quote:
The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
My son is only 2. But, I'm genuinely fearful that he'll be gay. I'm fearful of a lot of things... maybe he'll be a serial killer, maybe he'll be an alcoholic... etc. But my fear of him being gay is just odd, I think. I mean really, would it change anything? No, not really. Would it be a problem for me if he was gay? No. But I still worry about it. Is that weird? Although I have no problem with gays, does this make me homophobic? Haha, I think so.

Anyway, any thoughts? Is this kind of fear normal for a dad? And am I allowed to have this fear?

Thanks

There are very helpful medications now for people with this much anxiety.

Please do see a doctor soon, before you make your son as neurotic as you are.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
You're both wasting your time.

Your entire post is fantastic idealism, but just that. Just because you know a concept doesn't mean you can apply it, especially when it concerns the workings of the mind and emotions.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
I wouldn't worry about it. After all, if he IS gay you can't change him. All you can do is love him and accept him.

Maybe your fear is irrational, or maybe not. Sometime's a mom's intuition picks up on these things very early.

I have a friend whose daughter has been dressing like a boy since she was a toddler. She's also referred to herself as a boy since she learned to talk.

She's 11 now and pretty much lives her life as a boy. She's been through extensive counseling and her therapist believes she's transgendered.

It was hard for my friend to deal with at first because she's a total girlie girl, the type of woman who has 100 pairs of shoes, gets her nails done every Saturday, etc. But, at this point she's come to accept her daughter and says she'll support her if she want to have a sex-change operation once she's 18.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Your entire post is fantastic idealism, but just that. Just because you know a concept doesn't mean you can apply it, especially when it concerns the workings of the mind and emotions.
No problem has ever been solved or averted by worrying. But you go ahead and worry anyway. I just have better things to do.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
No problem has ever been solved or averted by worrying. But you go ahead and worry anyway. I just have better things to do.
And no worry was ever quelled by being told "don't worry". Some brains worry, some don't

Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
To be honest, this thought has also crossed my mind. I have one son and I would prefer that he not be gay. Would also feel hugely disappointed if he decides to live his life as a transsexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting