Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
You don't have to agree but there is no need to be so defensive. Idiotic and paranoid? Hmmm?

I totally agree with the bolded. It starts with genetics but we don't know what other factors come into play. Could it be possible that autism is triggered by environmental toxins which could include vaccinations among other things in certain susceptible individuals?
Vaccinations have been looked at ad nauseum so I would say NO it isn't possible that vaccinations are in any way shape or form responsible for autism..

From todays news:

Study: No increased autism risk from mercury-based perservative in vaccines – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Old 09-14-2010, 11:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
You don't have to agree but there is no need to be so defensive. Idiotic and paranoid? Hmmm?

I totally agree with the bolded. It starts with genetics but we don't know what other factors come into play. Could it be possible that autism is triggered by environmental toxins which could include vaccinations among other things in certain susceptible individuals?
Yes, it is possible. Environmental toxins: It's possible that an undiagnosed allergy to dust mites could trigger autism. It's possible that using tin foil as a wrapping for foods could trigger autism. It's possible that the dander floating in the air from the chimpmonks in the back yard could trigger autism. It's possible that exposure to breastmilk past the age of 4 could trigger autism. It's possible that breathing air recently exhaled by your mom in the family bed could trigger autism. It's posslbe that autism could show up without having been triggered at all, by anything.

It's also possible that there are such things as leprauchans, but as I said, I made the adult decision to not believe in them.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Do you believe it's possible to DISPROVE something beyond a shadow of a doubt? You really can't approch things that way. You either prove a link or you don't. DISPROVING isn't necessary.
A theory can never be complete fact.

A scientist never stops researching & never says "Ah ha! Now I can stop b/c it is 100% true!". It goes against the whole purpose of science.

Hypotheses can be proven wrong/incorrect, but can never be proven or confirmed with absolute certainty. It is impossible to test all given conditions, and someone with more knowledge, sometime in the future, may find a condition under which the hypothesis does not hold true.
The Scientific Method

I know a few families with autistic children. They distance themselves as far away as possible from the vaccination link. If anything, they are treating their child as they do all their other children give or take modifications.

The day I saw Jenny McCarthy on Oprah, I felt bad for families who have children with this challenge. She set the cause back as do those who can only keep slamming the same thing over & over again.

There is no known cause. There is no known cure. Thank goodness for scientists who keep hypothesizing & don't dwell on one lawsuit....

Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Vaccinations have been looked at ad nauseum so I would say NO it isn't possible that vaccinations are in any way shape or form responsible for autism..

From todays news:

Study: No increased autism risk from mercury-based perservative in vaccines – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs
This study focuses strictly on thimerosal and ignores every other ingredient in vaccinations.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I know a few families with autistic children. They distance themselves as far away as possible from the vaccination link. If anything, they are treating their child as they do all their other children give or take modifications.
I know a few families who believe that their child's autism was triggered by vaccination. I don't think that all cases are related to vaccination but I think it's possible that some are.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:01 PM

Just to answer the OP's question, my dd was selectively vaxed.

I looked at each individual disease. I looked at the rates of the disease before and after the vaccination was introduced. I looked at the risk of complications including death. I looked at the individual vaccinations. I looked at the ingredients, the risk of adverse reactions and the severity of those reactions. I looked at preventative strategies. I read a lot of books on both sides of the issue. I talked with my child's pediatrician and made decisions based on that information.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Quote:
Just to answer the OP's question, my dd was selectively vaxed.

I looked at each individual disease. I looked at the rates of the disease before and after the vaccination was introduced. I looked at the risk of complications including death. I looked at the individual vaccinations. I looked at the ingredients, the risk of adverse reactions and the severity of those reactions. I looked at preventative strategies. I read a lot of books on both sides of the issue. I talked with my child's pediatrician and made decisions based on that information.
A perfect example of applied scientific method

Due diligence in research and risk assessment on a case-by-case basis.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
Quote:

Yes, certain susceptible individuals. So you are going to live your life in fear and assume your child is weak and will "Catch Autism"? Environmental factors could include household cleaners, your shampoo, your food supply, The formaldehyde that cribs are made with, living under powerlines, the fertilizer in your lawn, the tar on the street and many many more things.

They do not know the cause. It is pretty obvious it is not just ONE thing, which is why vaccines are important to continue to get. Because you can't be sure you will have Autistic children, but if you are unknowingly around someone with whooping cough, odds are you WILL get that.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Yes, certain susceptible individuals. So you are going to live your life in fear and assume your child is weak and will "Catch Autism"?
What leads you to assume that I am lving my life in fear? I assure you that I am not.

Quote:
Environmental factors could include household cleaners, your shampoo, your food supply, The formaldehyde that cribs are made with, living under powerlines, the fertilizer in your lawn, the tar on the street and many many more things.
Which is why I avoid chemicals as much as possible in my everyday life. I do this for health and environmental reasons.

Quote:
They do not know the cause. It is pretty obvious it is not just ONE thing
That has been my point all along .

Quote:
which is why vaccines are important to continue to get. Because you can't be sure you will have Autistic children, but if you are unknowingly around someone with whooping cough, odds are you WILL get that.
There are risks involved in the decision to vaccinate (not just related to autism) and there are risks involved in choosing not to vaccinate. It is a parent's right and responsibility to make the decisions that they feel is in the best interest of their child.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:23 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
Quote:

There are risks involved in the decision to vaccinate (not just related to autism)
Aside from children with compromised health to begin with, why would any healthy child be as risk? What risks are you speaking of?

Quote:
and there are risks involved in choosing not to vaccinate.
Yes, like putting your children in harms way because of some abstract fear. The real risk for the child who is not vaccinated is having a parent who is phonic, over reactionary, and anxiety prone. Unless you live in the sticks, I can't imagine never coming into contact with people from other countries who may be carrying some disease that we have vaccines for.
Quote:
It is a parent's right and responsibility to make the decisions that they feel is in the best interest of their child.
Yes, so that makes them a paranoid, and phobic parent and a very poor citizen and example to their children. Those are the kind of people who expect OTHERS to protect their child through herd immunity, all the while spreading and carrying diseases. How thoughtful of them.

Unless you have a religious issue with vaccines, an allergy of some sort, or you have medical issues and it would harm you, I just don't see the rational. You can spread the vaccines out, you don't have to get the 3 in one doses. But not doing it at all makes me question a persons mental health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting