Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
Was I mislead in the belief that being vaccinated for chicken pox lowers your chances of suffering through shingles later on in life?

After watching my grandmother suffer such a painful thing, I vaccinated my son.

I wasn't vaccinated for anything until I was 15 when I went in and paid for it all myself. Partly because we didn't have the money growing up, and partly for the same reason other parents don't do it. Personally, I'm all for vaccinations.
Only somewhat. If you've never had chickenpox, you can catch shingles from someone infected with shingles. Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox, but it isn't chickenpox part2. It is its own illness, and it is contagious and can be spread to anyone who has never had chickenpox. There is a shingles vaccine, but it's only recommended for adults over the age of 60 who have never had shingles. It also contains a chicken pox booster.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:39 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,913,927 times
My kids get all of the necessary vaccinations. We didn't do the H1N1 shot last year, nor do we do the flu shot. I didn't see any valid reason to get those vaccinations (in our case), but I'm perfectly fine with parents who did choose to.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,751 times
I can't believe that anyone who lives in India would actually argue against vaccines.

India is in desperate need of measles vaccination:

UNICEF - Immunization - Reducing measles mortality

We vaccinate. Any potential side effects are nothing compared to risks if you get the illnesses.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:50 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,125,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I personally vaccinate for my child but I have come across some websites where there are reasons to not vaccinate. Do you vaccinate or not explain your choice im curious!

Heres one website where they give reasons not to vaccinate

40 reasons NOT to vaccinate your babies - Journals - CafeMom
You have to in our state unless you have a religious exemption. And I am not willing to lie about something like that and I find people who do to be untrustworthy and deceitful and setting a poor example for their children. I don't believe vaccines are harmful, or cause Autism or whatever other delusional crap people think. I think getting a disease is MUCH worse.

I do think they give a lot at once these days, but none of my kids have reacted badly to them. Considering my area has a lot of foreigners coming and going, I would rather them be safe than catch these diseases we have fought so hard to get rid of.

I just don't see why someone would intentionally prevent their child from being safe from disease. There is NO evidence that it causes Autism any more than Lysol or Clorox exposure do.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

There ARE valid reasons for people to not vaccinate their kids - there are children who are "at risk" for things that vaccines can raise the risk on. There are also vaccines that aren't mandatory, but merely recommended (such as the flu vaccines)
Many fragile children should not get vaccinated for health reasons. That seems like a good reason to not vaccinate.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My good friend wasn't vaccinated against anything. She had a kind of "hippy" type mom. I remember she went to all kinds of places all over the world and never got one shot. Its like a ticking time bomb.
What makes her dangerous is that she may carry the diseases but never get infected herself. She could be making people sick all over.

What makes me sick are these people who rely on those who DO get vaccinated to protect THEIR children. Selfish jerks.

Herd immunity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-05-2010, 04:30 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,403 times
Yes we vaccinate, though I delayed the Hep B as I don't feel it is necessary for newborns. I have friends whose parents suffered from polio, and I never, l ever want my kids to go through that. I also vaccinate as part of being in a community; there are two kids in my toddler's playschool who cannot get vaccinated for some things for medical reasons, and so it is important everyone else gets vaccinated to try and protect them.

I was in two minds about getting the flu vaccines, but in the end decided for it, and will again this year. I'll be honest, it was for selfish reasons- I don't think the flue does much harm to most people, but I don't want to run the risk of being very sick and having to look after three sick kids too.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:57 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,023 times
Yes i do, do the basic ones we all had as kids. But i don't do the flu or the chicken pox ones. Whats the point of being a kid if you haven't had the chicken pox sheesh.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
When the vaccine first became available to the public at large the whole town turned out at the big department store in town so we could all line up and get our shots. It was like a party. Parents were practically crying with happiness that their kids would be OK. It make an impression on me I will never forget.
Mothers today who are younger have no recollection of scenes like this, nor do they remember their parents fear of a lot of the diseases that used to hit whole communities or entire states.

Younger mothers never saw someone in an iron lung. They don't know people who have weakened hearts and died in their teens and twenties. They don't know who it is around them who had polio as a child or teen who carries the scars, the disabilities.

They don't open their eyes to the danger of these preventable diseases because they have never had to.

They figure that since MOST people have had their children immunized, THEIR children are safe, and besides, how bad could getting sick really be, you get a rash or something, then get better and move on. WRONG. Those of us who have had those diseases had friends who weren't so lucky. Some of us weren't so lucky to come out unscathed.

When immunizations became available, my mother drug all of us to the doctor and lined us up. There was no option. She had seen the devestation disease causes. There was no 'choice'. Parents feared losing their children to sickness.

Can you imagine: My brother in law's family was struck with polio. There were 8 kids; two died, and four were sickened. His case was mild, he's in his early 60's now and the aftereffects are haunting him. He limps terribly, cannot use his left hand for anything, is weakened and picks up every little virus that comes his way. One of his sisters passed away a few years ago. She had never walked without a cane or crutches and heavy braces in the last 50 years of her life. Another sister was weakened, contracted lupus and passed last fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
What makes me sick are these people who rely on those who DO get vaccinated to protect THEIR children. Selfish jerks.

I agree.

Last edited by NoExcuses; 09-05-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

Interesting Wiki. Herd Immunity is basically the structure of our country's entire vaccination program----immunizing children to protect older adults who aren't vaccinated. Social Network populations (peers/neighborhoods) don't have the same protection as the overall herd in the larger population. As a result, parents who aren't protecting their children and rely on other people immunizing aren't really providing their children with the same level of protection that herd immunity provides because school systems are not 'well mixed' populations.

Quote:
Herd immunity in social networks
The standard mathematical definition of herd immunity applies only to "well-mixed populations," in which each infected individual is capable of transmitting the disease to any susceptible individual, regardless of social ties or location. More specifically, the relationship between the basic reproduction number R0 and the herd immunity threshold illustrated in the table above relies on a calculation that is valid only in well-mixed populations. Actual large populations, however, are better described as social networks, in which transmission can occur only between peers/neighbors. The shape of a social network can alter the level of vaccination required for herd immunity, as well as the likelihood that a population will achieve herd immunity.[9] [10] Compared to well-mixed populations, herd immunity in social networks is particularly fragile. [11]

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.