Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:28 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't start a home daycare unless I WANTED to take care of kids and had a gift for providing child care. I would NEVER put my child in a daycare where the owner was just doing it to make some money.

I have two school-age kids and it would be impossible for me to run a daycare b/c I wouldn't be able to pick them up from school if they were sick, or volunteer to go on field trips, etc. I'd be totally tied to my home for eight or more hours a day.

Your friend should look into part-time work that can be done when the kids are in school or nights and weekends unless she really feels called to start a daycare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 01:32 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Having a day care in my home sounds like a kind of torture for me.
My kids are 7 and 4.
I'm happy to say that having some free time and getting out of the darn house is a huge priority for me right now.
But it does sound like your friend is into it and up for it, then that's great for her.

ditto

Old 09-04-2010, 02:48 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
1. No commuting and commuting costs.

2. Being at home when your kids come back from school.

3. No after-school costs and headaches.

4. For someone who feels affinity to Early Childhood Education, or feels her destiny as working with kids, it's a dream job.
Exactly.

It is not what I would choose to do but for someone who likes little ones I don't see the problem. To be done correctly, and with quality, takes a lot of work and organization, and the perspective that it is a real job. If she is doing it because she is afraid to go back out into the workforce, or feels like it is her only option because that is what she has been doing for years, then it may not be the right thing for her.

Working outside of the home with school-aged kids can be a juggling act with the school schedule and the schedule of the before and after school care programs and summer camps. It can turn into a real patchwork of programs for parents. This avoids that problem while still affording her the ability to bring in money.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:54 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I wouldn't start a home daycare unless I WANTED to take care of kids and had a gift for providing child care. I would NEVER put my child in a daycare where the owner was just doing it to make some money.
Exactly.

My MIL used a home daycare when her kids were little and it was run by a lady old enough to be their grandmother. She did it because she loved little kids and really enjoyed it. MIL passed over a few homes where she got the sense the mom was just "taking in some kids" to make some money while she stayed at home with her little ones.

That is not to say someone originally motivated by the need for income would not make a good provider, just that sometimes that is the situation and that person really is not a good fit for home day care.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:16 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
MIL passed over a few homes where she got the sense the mom was just "taking in some kids" to make some money while she stayed at home with her little ones.

This is a pet peeve of mine. It irritates me when people(usually SAHM's ) start a daycare JUST so they can stay home with thier own kids and make money. It gives home daycares a bad name. That is why so many people associate home daycare with "just babysitting".

I used to have a home daycare but I have a degree in ECE and I have worked in childcare for the past ten years. Of course I want to make money, but that wasn't the only reason for doing it. I genuinely enjoy working with children. In fact, sometimes I like other people's kids better than my own

Old 09-04-2010, 09:10 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Unless you have a house large enough to keep the daycare/childcare seperate from your living areas it is difficult for your own children, at least it was for mine. Some kids think what is theirs is theirs, and what is yours is theirs as well.

Also, when you have a child home from school and ill, that child is either in the general population of kids at your house, or in bed needing to be tended to while other children roam.

I allowed my license to expire after a couple years because it was too hard on my own kids.

There are different things one can do from home. I know people who do transcription and love it. A lot of doctor's offices and hospitals hire out billing to be done at home.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:06 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
I reckon you should do something that you like doing. If that is home child care then do that. If you are a painter or a lawyer or whatever and you like it, then I would suggest that you look for a company to work for that does that. I would suggest trying to negotiate a deal that allows you to take off at short notice to deal with child & school issues. Also there may be times when you want to go an help out in class or watch a class play. I would also suggest that not full time would be good.

Now I know it is not considered politically correct but I think that the woman is the home maker and this means that she needs to spend some time at home doing things like cooking, cleaning, washing. I can not see how families live when both partners work full time. (I just waiting for the knives to come out here). So while I am OK with a mother working. I do not think she should work full time. But whatever work she does, she should do something that she finds stimulating, challenging, interesting and pays well.

Another reason for not full time is when are you going to do girl things like shopping?

Old 09-05-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I reckon you should do something that you like doing. If that is home child care then do that. If you are a painter or a lawyer or whatever and you like it, then I would suggest that you look for a company to work for that does that. I would suggest trying to negotiate a deal that allows you to take off at short notice to deal with child & school issues. Also there may be times when you want to go an help out in class or watch a class play. I would also suggest that not full time would be good.

Now I know it is not considered politically correct but I think that the woman is the home maker and this means that she needs to spend some time at home doing things like cooking, cleaning, washing. I can not see how families live when both partners work full time. (I just waiting for the knives to come out here). So while I am OK with a mother working. I do not think she should work full time. But whatever work she does, she should do something that she finds stimulating, challenging, interesting and pays well.

Another reason for not full time is when are you going to do girl things like shopping?

If my husband made enough money to support us I would not go back to work. I don't believe in a woman working outside the home IF her husband makes enough money to support her and if her kids are not school-aged. I make more than my husband so I HAVE NO CHOICE but to work. Either I work or we would be living on the streets. I don't think its right to generalize by saying women should not work full time.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
My husband and i unschool and both work from home so it works out perfect actually .

Old 09-05-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
My husband and i unschool and both work from home so it works out perfect actually .

Do you do homeschooling. Sorry I don't understand the terminology unschool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting